• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Did I Not Win This?

21 posts in this topic

Rocketeer Auction

I've chased Dave Stevens artwork since the mid 90's. I've never had any luck getting anything and given his recent passing, I decided I had better go nuts if I'm ever going to get anything at all. This was a simple convention sketch. It was at $51 when I left for lunch (a huge mistake in hindsight), so I thought my snipe would easily do it, being more than five times as much and recent items not hitting the $200 mark.

Does this seem outrageous to anyone else? Or am I daydreaming by thinking I could get a simple sketch for less than $300?

BTW if anyone has any Rocketeer art by Stevens of any kind, PM me! I'd love to give it a new home!

Yeah....like maybe some cool Halloween related art? :grin:

lol not really what I was intending. I hope I have a good long time left.

I tried while he was alive, but still got outbid regularly in the $75-100 range. I took the attitude that another would surface soon......

My friend has a Betty Head sketch he picked up about 10 years ago. He paid $200 or so which now seems like a bargain. He of course was never easy to find or afford.

Everything is red hot right after an artists death. It won't crash but I'd suspect that it will cool at least a little bit in a few months. Right now he is in everyones search engine.

That's true, but the last one that I saw was about a year ago and went for roughly $160 (it's been awhile) I know I was the #2 bidder on it, too. It was the same deal, it hovered at around $40 until the final seconds and then shot to about four times that.

The Rocketeer was never easy to find, I had decided to settle for a sketch long ago and even those are few and far between.

Yeah. I remember seeing his Sheena # 1 cover on EBAY several years ago for $4500 and thought that was too much. What a mistake. Should have bid the sky.

This is the story of my collecting life in one simple sad sentence.

Yeah. I remember seeing his Sheena # 1 cover on EBAY several years ago for $4500 and thought that was too much. What a mistake. Should have bid the sky.

Uhhhh...I thought you were 18 years old? When was that Stevens cover on eBay? Pre-2005 by the sounds of it...maybe even pre-2003? Think I would have remembered that one if it was recent...several years ago in that context would have put you at, what, 12-15 years old? Don't kick yourself for not "bidding the sky", man! It would have simply been KRAZY if you had! :yeahok:

I have available a choice Kaluta Rocketeer pen/ink illo but none by Stevens. Paper size is roughly 10 x 15 inches. Pmail an offer, if you have an interest.

rocketeer1.jpg

I would love to have that!

However, I have two plumbers in my closet right now looking for a leak under my slab that doubled my last water bill. :cry:

I'll get in touch once they've found it, repaired it and billed me......