• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Questions about Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, The X-Men

25 posts in this topic

I'm curious -- why didn't you include Fantastic Four on the list? confused.gif

I'm doing some research and these are the characters involved. Nothing personal against FF or Thor or Daredevil or any of the other characters. Though in truth, Daredevil would fit the criteria. Maybe I should add him. Any Daredevil fans want to chime in?

For Spider-Man readers:

What's the actual wording of the quote: "with great power comes great responsibility"? I know that's a paraphrase. I want to know how it is written in AF 15.

Thanks!

No one actually says the phrase. In the last panel of the AF #15 Spider-Man story, the following is in a text box:

And a lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, with great power there must also come - - great responsibility!

Jim

SPIDER-MAN

1. What draws you to that character?

He's not a billionaire or a nigh-invulnerable alien from another world...he's a real person with real problems. Money problems. Girlfriend problems. Parental/guardian problems. Stuff that almost everybody can relate to.

Sidebar - This is why I detest the Todd McFarlane run on ASM so much. It was drawn like a bad cartoon - it was a caricature and took away from the realism of the character's situations. Then, Mary Jane became some high-profile fashion supermodel. Suddenly, Peter Parker went from the guy that everybody could relate to, to the guy that 0.001% of the population could relate to. Worst of all, he started fighting the lamest villains every created, principally VENOM. I can empathize with Peter's job and relationship issues - I can't relate at all, however, to him fighting brain-eating alien symbiote costumes designed to get testesterone-charged (then-)WWF viewing young men into reading Spidey.

2. What would you say is the driving force behind the character?

3. If you read the adventures as a child, did they teach you anything? Did they change how you looked at the world or yourself?

4. If someone who had never read comics asked you about the character, wanting the bare facts, how would you succinctly sum up the origin? Who are the close supporting characters?

I think that's all been adequately covered.

5. What's your favorite story arc involving this character and why?

My favorite, of course, is ASM #121-#122. Never had Spidey's problems been so grave or his responsibility so heavy. It was so full of pathos...how could anyone not relate to or be moved by it?

I also enjoyed tremendously the original Clone Saga (ASM #144-#149). Gwen Stacy's clone comes back just as things are taking off with Mary Jane. I've never really liked MJ's character...always felt that the brainy & beautiful Gwen Stacy was the true love of Peter's life...but I couldn't help feel sorry for her in this storyline. The added Jackal revealed storyline and the climactic showdown at Shea Stadium was just icing on the cake.

Of course, the Green Goblin/drug issues (ASM #96-#98) were also great...they are my favorites of the Stan Lee-written issues. Very little of Lee's trademarked hokiness and who couldn't feel happy for Peter when he gets Gwen back at the end of issue #98? That last panel just made the end of #121 all the more tragic.

Finally, I love going back and reading ASM #31-up...not so much the Spidey scenes, but rather the interaction between Peter, Gwen, Harry, Flash and MJ. The human experience is what ASM was always about, and it's great watching the relationships between the characters evolve...that always entertained & impressed me more than the fights with the Villain-of-the-Month. It's all the more interesting knowing that Peter & Flash will become friends, Peter & MJ will wed and Harry and Gwen will suffer tragic ends.

Gene