• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collection of 100,000 books about to be offered

296 posts in this topic

Too bad matt "pancakes" nelson is involved. :sorry:

Yep...I'm sure the comics will be dirt-free with marvelous spines and probably disassembled to check for imperfections... meh

Jim

Your implicit meaning is that Matt has pressed/worked on most/large percent of Ritters collection is just numbing in its lack or intelligent forethought.

Do you really believe, between Matts own business, family (wife kid, ect.) that he would have the time or inclination to work on Ritters own collection?

I think people seriously overestimate the amount of time Matt has to work on everybook that comes down the pipe. And make no mistake that is the assumption that every book he sells, every book that goes up in grade, that all books are routed through him if they are high grade :screwy:

So to jump to the conclusion that just because Matt is helping Ritter set up his new venture that he is back in the pressing sweat shop pressing everything in his collection is just amazingly :screwy:

lol

I'll never live that one down

969.gif

lol

:foryou:

Made my frame yet :whistle:

Haven't had a chance to work on anything Workshop related. Had a last minute Kitchen reno that needed to get done ASAP...and I'm currently fighting a mind-numbing sinus infection. :tonofbricks:

No worries though. Lots of time before Chicago. ;)

lol

I'll never live that one down

969.gif

lol

:foryou:

Made my frame yet :whistle:

Haven't had a chance to work on anything Workshop related. Had a last minute Kitchen reno that needed to get done ASAP...and I'm currently fighting a mind-numbing sinus infection. :tonofbricks:

No worries though. Lots of time before Chicago. ;)

:applause:

Yep...I'm sure the comics will be dirt-free with marvelous spines and probably disassembled to check for imperfections... meh

Jim

I never quite understood why people are so put off by the possibility a book was disassembled at one time. So long as it wasn't done to add pieces or seal tears or whatever, what's the big beef?

I am not trying to provoke a dispute here. If it bugs you, fine. But sometimes when I hear a guy talk about whether a book "was once laying with its pages open on Matt Nelson's desk" the tone sounds like more like they're talking as if it was their wife on Matt's desk with her legs open.

I never quite understood why people are so put off by the possibility a book was disassembled at one time. So long as it wasn't done to add pieces or seal tears or whatever, what's the big beef?

lollollol

I just love when Mr Resto here posts this kind of absolute BS.

Offer 100 collectors a pristine, guaranteed untouched CGC 9.6, or a disassembled, pressed & who-knows-what book at CGC 9.6 and I guarantee they'll all choose the former.

You seem to disagree, and feel that they''d all pick the latter book. :screwy:

Jim

I am not trying to provoke a dispute here. If it bugs you, fine. But sometimes when I hear a guy talk about whether a book "was once laying with its pages open on Matt Nelson's desk" the tone sounds like more like they're talking as if it was their wife on Matt's desk with her legs open.

A book that has been dissasembled is restored. That is why there is such an aversion to dissasembly pressing.

Offer 100 collectors a pristine, guaranteed untouched CGC 9.6, or a disassembled, pressed & who-knows-what book at CGC 9.6 and I guarantee they'll all choose the former.

Whats the difference between them then? If all things are equal between the two books, it wouldnt matter which one I got.

Jim

A book that has been dissasembled is restored. That is why there is such an aversion to dissasembly pressing.

Incorrect :gossip:

Jim

correct the young padawan then :hail:

Jim

correct the young padawan then :hail:

Not that I agree with it, but CGC does not consider disassembly alone to be restoration.

Jim

Some would argue the staples are stressed,or the book is now restored but I think it really all comes down to disclosure, which is fine. I have no problem with people asking, or wanting to know any and everything that was done to a book, but as Arex so aptly put it, people must think Matt has superhuman powers(or supernatural to some) to work 24/7 pressing every book in sight on top of everything else on his plate.

The math simply does not add up, hours in a day versus how many books people think are actually pressed. Not trying to downplay the issue, but rather counter those who see Ritters books and all they see are pressed books. Were some pressed, probably.. I honestly don't know. Ask Ritter.

I wish Ritter all the best and agree with others, he was among the better dealers I bought from last year.

Whats the difference between them then? If all things are equal between the two books, it wouldnt matter which one I got.

It would to me. Give me the pristine OO CGC 9.6 over the disassembled, worked-on book any day of the week.

It would to me. Give me the pristine OO CGC 9.6 over the disassembled, worked-on book any day of the week.

Apparently a CGC 9.6 is a CGC 9.6 to most nowadays. Doesn't matter whether the book was preserved or manipulated. Kinda sad really.....

Your implicit meaning is that Matt has pressed/worked on most/large percent of Ritters collection is just numbing in its lack or intelligent forethought.

Do you really believe, between Matts own business, family (wife kid, ect.) that he would have the time or inclination to work on Ritters own collection?

Of course not...but some will be and that makes all of them suspect...

Jim

Apparently a CGC 9.6 is a CGC 9.6 to most nowadays. Doesn't matter whether the book was preserved or manipulated. Kinda sad really.....

It's all about the number in the corner...and since they can't actually touch the comic, it's all out of sight, out of mind...

Jim