• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for all Dealers out there.

19 posts in this topic

Big time or part time can answer, but I would like to hear from the Big guys on this.

What are your policies for raw comics sold by you as unrestored that come back from CGC with restoration?

Also, assume that the dealer made no guarantee and that the resto was probably unknown by the dealer as well.

Are asking about our policy if we buy one from somebody else or if we sell one to somebody else?

Are asking about our policy if we buy one from somebody else or if we sell one to somebody else?

lol Well, that is probably two different policies. Kind of like grading books you are selling and grading ones you are buying. :baiting:

But seriously, If you sell one to someone.

Big time or part time can answer, but I would like to hear from the Big guys on this.

What are your policies for raw comics sold by you as unrestored that come back from CGC with restoration?

Also, assume that the dealer made no guarantee and that the resto was probably unknown by the dealer as well.

Speaking as a part-timer, as a general rule, I would likely accept the book back with a full refund.

However, one factor to be taken into consideration is how much time has elapsed between the sale and the identification of the restoration, and the number of times the book has been exchanged. The shorter the period of time and the fewer handlers the more likely the return will be accepted without hesitation.

Speaking as a part-timer, as a general rule, I would likely accept the book back with a full refund.

However, one factor to be taken into consideration is how much time has elapsed between the sale and the identification of the restoration, and the number of times the book has been exchanged. The shorter the period of time and the fewer handlers the more likely the return will be accepted without hesitation.

Those are certainly understandable variables.

Thanks for the reply.

Our policy is that if you buy a book from us as unrestored, submit it, and it comes back restored then we will give you a full refund including your CGC fees.

We have a full, no questions asked refund policy on any book for any reason, so I can't imagine that someone would restore a book simply so they could return it.

Just for discussion...

Pre -CGC we had a few instances where someone bought a book from us, later flipped it and down the road it turned up restored. On one of those I refunded the second buyer's money because of circumstances surrounding the book (who I purchased it from, chain of ownership and reputation etc.). On another the book was obviously worked on after we sold it, but we worked something out to keep a potential customer happy. I just mention this because our policy is fluid and based on the fact that I would rather eat a few bucks then have a potential collector loss faith in the hobby

There is now the possibility that someone could try to improve a book to get a better grade, do a bad job of it, and try to return it. But I haven't had that occur yet. I imagine, with scans on file and such we could tell if the book was in the same shape as we sold it and make a determination. But we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

Sounds like a good mix of practicality and customer service. As for your last example, I would have no problem telling my buyer (who botched an "improvement") to take a hike. Part of the goal of your return policy is no doubt to encourage future business. Who wants to do business with a tool?

Sounds like a good mix of practicality and customer service. As for your last example, I would have no problem telling my buyer (who botched an "improvement") to take a hike. Part of the goal of your return policy is no doubt to encourage future business. Who wants to do business with a tool?

Some folks spend lots of money, whether they are a tool or not.

I have to consider all the available info.

I also will do a full refund on any raw book which is purchased as unrestored, and you submit it, and it comes back restored. Like Mark, it does depend upon the circumstances and time periods involved.

For example, I sold a guy some books a year or two before CGC was in business. No big key books, some SA DCs and a few AS etc. A few of the books ended up with purple label, small amount of color touch, and something like 5 years later, he wanted to return the books for a cash refund. Given the circumstances, I offered the guy full trade credit on the books towards similar stuff in my inventory(limiting him to similar inventory, i.e. no Hulk 181, etc). I even traded a little bit in his favor. However, this would be an exception, rather than the rule.

Generally speaking, if a book is sold as unrestored, and comes back purple label, I will do a cash refund, given the fact that the book is as it was at time of purchase and that it has not been an excessive amount of time that has passed.

I agree with what everyone has been saying. I have never had any ask for a return on any book for any reason so far (thankfully), but if it ever happens I would offer a full refund if it was in a reasonable amount of time after the sale took place.

Everything I sell is returnable for any reason.

As many of you know, I'm very concerned about trimming. In fact there are times that I can't look at a book without thinking it's trimmed! :makepoint:

Of course this trimming paranoia spills over into my dealing. The beautiful FY 7 that Jeff has been showing off is a good example. I knew he was looking for one so I contacted him about it. I feared the book was trimmed (the collection it came from was put together by a local collector back in the Wild West days of the 70's and 80's), and told him that I'd take it back if it indeed was trimmed or came back PLOD for any reason.

Fortunately my paranoia was unfounded and it was awarded a beautiful blue 9.0. :cloud9:

I'm only saying this because no matter how experienced we are regarding restoration, there will be things that slip through and we must be prepared to make the collector whole.

It's just good business.

I am a collector and not a dealer. Although I have sold books on eBay since 2002 to further upgrade my collection. I have always offered a 100% satisfaction guaranteed on any sale for whatever reason. I have just had my first experience whereby I sold a book that came back CGC PLOD that I had no idea (very subtle CT I believe)...regardless, I communicated with the buyer and offered several options to make good on the deal and we worked it out.

Anyone who would offer less is, in my opinion, a suspect seller. I frankly care more about the integrity of the collecting experience than the pure profit (don't get me wrong, I'd love to set new GPA highs with each sale, but the integrity has to trump the profit/sale or all is lost...).

I had a deal with one of the mega-dealers on eBay (and here) awhile back and they would only offer me store credit...and here we're talking about a dealer that surely deals in the hundreds of thousands if not millions annually in sales...that was one of the most bogus experiences I've ever had in all my comic trading life...guess what, I'll never deal with them again in my life...and we're talking about a book/sale less than $100 dollars!

2c

Straight from my website

What is not left to interpretation is that I will honor all returns if a book I've sold you comes back restored.

HighGradeComics.com has ALWAYS had a NO time limit guarantee that your money would be refunded in the event a book comes back restored. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC graded books as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by HighGradeComics.com that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by HighGradeComics.com in the past. No if and or buts.

Bob, that is great news but for you as a seller how do you prevent scammers who resto their books after the purchase? That has been an issue in the past for some people?