• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Marvel Bronze Run?

69 posts in this topic

Oh yeah Prez is right up there. But DC did much worse than OMAC. Off the top of my head I can think of

Beowolf

Freedom Fighters

Karate Kid

Teen Titans (mid-1970s revival)

Justice Inc

Supergirl

Out of your list, I'd put Freedom Fighters and Beowulf above the pack. And add Kobra....

OMAC had some interesting ideas but was practically unreadable. It seemed that Kirby was trying to fit as much stuff as he could think of into each comic and the result was jumbled because of it. I like Kirby as much as anyone but this effort did not work whatsoever in my opinion. In fact, and I realize this is tantamount to blasphemy for some, I much prefer the Byrne mini-series to Kirby's rendition.

And hell....I just noticed we(I?) hijacked this "Marvel" thread. You know, now that I think of it, Red Wolf wasn't all that good either.......Sorry JC......

Jim

Tarzan, Korak stand out for me as box liners

The DC series, right? Sure, these are ultra-common as failed speculation experiments of the day. Can certainly understand your point of view as a dealer. But despite their abundance, these have some really nice stories and art:

- Joe Kubert Tarzan

- Murphy Anderson John Carter of Mars

- Frank Thorne Korak

- Mike Kaluta Carson of Venice

- Joe Kubert Tarzan

- Murphy Anderson John Carter of Mars

- Frank Thorne Korak

- Mike Kaluta Carson of Venice

I have to agree. Especially the John Carter and Carson of Venus stories. Good stuff.....

I "accidently" found out these stories were even in these comics. I wonder how many "casual" collectors even know that these "Sci-Fi" stories were buried in Tarzan and Korak?

But I can also understand Bob not finding demand for these. When was there ever a demand for Bronze "jungle man" comics? Hell, Marvel can't even get Ka-Zar to sell......

Jim

Which brings me to Eternals! No comic made me cringe in my youth more than Eternals! And my Grandmom ALWAYS bought me eternals!!! crazy.gif

I was in the same boat, and firmly believe that without parents and other relatives, these POS Kirby books wouldn't have sold a lick.

Just like clockwork (and likely because all the GOOD comics were gone), my parents would buy me a few comics a week, and they'd be all Kirby drek, like Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, 2001, Black Panther, Machine Man, Captain America, etc.

It truly boggled the mind.. 893frustrated.gif

So I take it your parents liked those Kirby comics? 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

I honestly believe they just picked up whatever was there, which was naturally after us kids nabbed all the good stuff and left the POS Kirby books for the suckers.

Kind of ironic in a way. frown.gif

my question is, were there any male readers reading night nurse? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Greggy.