• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For MutantKeys :) What are the Top 10 MARVEL Key comics from the SilverAge?

42 posts in this topic

I'll play...

1. Fantastic Four #1

2. Amazing Fantasy #15

3. Amazing Spider-Man #1

4. Journey Into Mystery #83

5. Hulk #1

6. Tales of Suspense #39

7. Avengers #4

8. Daredevil #1

9. Avengers #1

10. X-Men #1

with honorable mention going to

Fantastic Four #4

Strange Tales #110

Tales to Astonish #27

Sgt. Fury #1

Fantastic Four #48

I like the looks of most of the responses - no real surprises except the lack of love for Thor and 'shell-head.

I think that may change at least for IM with the bombastic flick this summer.

Thor is a difficult character to write for just like Superman - but early on, you needed a character like this in order to combat powerhouse characters like Hulk. Thor is essentially the early MU version of Superman - just not done nearly as well - especially with ye-olde Engish speak (gawds, who ever thought that would appeal?). It would take nearly twenty years until Walt Simonson got the character and stories right. I like the current line of stories in the new Thor title as well, check them out if you get a chance.

My list (in order):

1. FF #1

2. AF #15

3. X-Men #1

4. FF #5

5. Hulk #1

6. TOS #39 (tie)

6. JIM #83 (tie)

8. Avengers #4

9. Avengers #1

10. FF #48

37. ASM #1

lol

Tim, how is Avengers #1 more important than ASM #1? Just asking... :baiting:

My list (in order):

1. FF #1

2. AF #15

3. X-Men #1

4. FF #5

5. Hulk #1

6. TOS #39 (tie)

6. JIM #83 (tie)

8. Avengers #4

9. Avengers #1

10. FF #48

37. ASM #1

:olol

I have to applaud the consistency. Pray tell, what are the other 26 books?

i'm only curious what #36 is.

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. X-Men #1

4. Incredible Hulk #1

5. Amazing Spider-Man #1

6. Avengers #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Journey Into Mystery #83

9. Avengers #4

10. FF #48

My choices would simply be the first issues: the ones I would have wanted as a kid. No "ands, ifs or buts".

Therefore, it's gotta be the top 12.

1. Fantastic Four #1 (Nov. 1961)

2. Tales to Astonish #27 (Jan. 1962) No love for Henry Pym?

3. The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962)

4. Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962)

5. Journey into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962)

6. Strange Tales #101 (Oct. 1962) No love for the teenage Human Torch?

7. Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Mar. 1963)

8. Tales of Suspense #39 (Mar. 1963)

9. Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963) Nick Fury doesn't care if you love him or not.

10. The Avengers #1 (Sep. 1963)

11. X-Men #1 (Sep. 1963)

12. Daredevil #1 (Apr. 1964)

Amazing Fantasy #15 and Journey into Mystery #83 came out the same calendar month, June 1962.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 and Tales of Suspense #39 came out the same calendar month, December 1962.

Avengers #1 and X-Men #1 came out the same calendar month, July 1963.

June and December, 1962, and July, 1963, were three great months at the newsstand.

Like the title says: What are your picks for the Top 10 Marvel key comics from the SA?

My list:

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-man #1

Avengers #1

DareDevil #1

Fantastic Four #1

Fantastic Four #48

Incredible Hulk #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

Tales of Suspens #39

X-Men #1

What does your list look like?

That pretty much echo's my thoughts. Avengers 4 is the obvious missing one but I am not sure what, if anything, I would drop to include it.

I'd say these are the top 13 in my book.

1. Tales of Suspense 39 (have it)

2. Amazing Fantasy 15 (have it)

3. Fantastic Four 1 (have it)

4. Amazing Spider-man 1 (have it)

5. Fantastic Four 5 (have it)

6. Amazing Spider-man 14 (have it)

7. Daredevil 1 (have it)

8. Incredible Hulk 1 (sold it)

9. Tales to Astonish 27 (have it)

10. Avengers 1 (gave it away)

11. Avengers 4 (sold it)

12. Journey Into Mystery 83 (sold it)

13. Xmen 1 (sold it)

obviously I've sold the books I didn't care for as much.

Pretty sure the top 10 are in here somewhere.

keymarvel.jpg

Sorry it's so dark.

This is a wonderful gathering of titles. I am envious.

WOW. :o If you could only have 21 comics, this collection would satisfy spectacularly!! :applause::cloud9::headbang:

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. X-Men #1

4. Incredible Hulk #1

5. Avengers #1

6. Amazing Spider-Man #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Daredevil #1

9. Journey Into Mystery #83

10. Avengers #4

I agree with Mr Town, though I might shuffle the order a bit.

No way can FF # 48 be on the list but no Avengers # 4.

1. Fantastic Four #1

2. Amazing Fantasy #15

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Journey Into Mystery #83

6. Tales of Suspense #39

7. Avengers #1

8. Daredevil #1

9. Amazing Spider-Man #1

10. Avengers #4

Just personal preference.

Okay here is the REAL top ten of Marvel from this time period.

1. Captain Marvel #1: (They named the guy after their company for goodness sake! How epic is that Plus the cover is classic. He totally strikes that I am the master of the universe pose.

2. Amazing Adult Fantasy #7: (This was Marvels first comic in the Amazing Adult Fantasy series. If they had not published this comic there would be no AF 15!

3. Iron Man Vs. Submariner #1: (This comic get's this spot out of respect for the great Cal. If a comic can drive a single man to collect it like no other comic has ever been collected, than you know it is an awesome comic book.

4. Peter the Little Pest #1: (People rave about Dennis the Menace, but marvel took that character and upgraded it to awesomely cool level. Dennis looks like a pansy compared to Peter the Little Pest.

5. Homer the Happy Ghost #1: (Again, this is an upgrade from the boring and rather drab Casper the Friendly Ghost. Homer the Happy Ghost has a little bit of James Dean to him. He's a rebel without a cause.

6.Linda Carter Student Nurse #1 (Marvel hit it out of the park with this hot babe. If nurses were this hot in real life people would be injuring themselves on purpose just to get a little TLC from Linda.

7. Patsy Walker Fashion Parade #1 (Ok, this only lasted for one issue, but what an effect this comic had. All great fashion today has some inspiration from this iconic comic.

8. Marvel Collectors Items Classics #1 (This comic was ahead of it's time. In the mid 60's people were still thinking of comics as a kids thing. Something that would never be worth anything. Here you have a comic proudly pronouncing that their comics are truly collector's items. An idea that was far ahead of it's time. Not only that, you get classic silver age comics from a silver age comic for a fraction of the price. How fantastic is that!

9. Kathy the Teenage Tornado #1: Comic was ahead of it's time in showing how much of a handful Teenagers can be.

10. Fantasy Masterpieces: Two of the coolest words in the English language combined together as a title for a comic. That reason alone makes this a number 10 with a bullet.

Okay here is the REAL top ten of Marvel from this time period.

1. Captain Marvel #1: (They named the guy after their company for goodness sake! How epic is that Plus the cover is classic. He totally strikes that I am the master of the universe pose.

2. Amazing Adult Fantasy #7: (This was Marvels first comic in the Amazing Adult Fantasy series. If they had not published this comic there would be no AF 15!

3. Iron Man Vs. Submariner #1: (This comic get's this spot out of respect for the great Cal. If a comic can drive a single man to collect it like no other comic has ever been collected, than you know it is an awesome comic book.

4. Peter the Little Pest #1: (People rave about Dennis the Menace, but marvel took that character and upgraded it to awesomely cool level. Dennis looks like a pansy compared to Peter the Little Pest.

5. Homer the Happy Ghost #1: (Again, this is an upgrade from the boring and rather drab Casper the Friendly Ghost. Homer the Happy Ghost has a little bit of James Dean to him. He's a rebel without a cause.

6.Linda Carter Student Nurse #1 (Marvel hit it out of the park with this hot babe. If nurses were this hot in real life people would be injuring themselves on purpose just to get a little TLC from Linda.

7. Patsy Walker Fashion Parade #1 (Ok, this only lasted for one issue, but what an effect this comic had. All great fashion today has some inspiration from this iconic comic.

8. Marvel Collectors Items Classics #1 (This comic was ahead of it's time. In the mid 60's people were still thinking of comics as a kids thing. Something that would never be worth anything. Here you have a comic proudly pronouncing that their comics are truly collector's items. An idea that was far ahead of it's time. Not only that, you get classic silver age comics from a silver age comic for a fraction of the price. How fantastic is that!

9. Kathy the Teenage Tornado #1: Comic was ahead of it's time in showing how much of a handful Teenagers can be.

10. Fantasy Masterpieces: Two of the coolest words in the English language combined together as a title for a comic. That reason alone makes this a number 10 with a bullet.

Just awoke for a brief moment ......... :roflmao: