• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Free For All" Rant Thread

80 posts in this topic

Gawd....my rant has just been rendered partially irrelavent.....he just paid.... foreheadslap.gif

Impatient dork! tongue.gif

Ugly cat-eater... insane.gif

Stop being a "potsie"...Warren! smile.gif

Just then, his girlfriends stands up(she was on the gorund), comes right up to me, and slaps me across the face, calling me an A-hole.

I forgot to mention this, but I asked a cop awhile back, about what to do in the case of a seeing a guy physically abusing a gal.

His answer: Walk up to the couple and ask the lady: "Do you need assistance?"

If she says "Yes", then do what you will (within reason) and the law will protect you.

If she says "No" (or the more common "Screw you loser"), then walk away, or you'll end up in jail for assault, as you'll have none of the principals backing your story.

That's a good point to raise. The only thing I would add to what you said is that it might be a good idea to poll some witnesses (if any) that they too heard the lady asking for assistance. Otherwise, any pleas for 'good-samaritism' in the face of a charge may fall flat if the lady decides to turn on you because her husband or boyfriend has threatened or demanded that she drop the charges. The incidence of women dropping charges in a domestic dispute is very high, and often could make the victim out of the person who simply tried to help.

The incidence of women dropping charges in a domestic dispute is very high, and often could make the victim out of the person who simply tried to help.

Definitely, and I forgot to write one of the first things he mentioned:

"Don't get involved without friends around".

It always dangerous to do anything risky without someone there to back you up, whether from the law or some whacko pulling a knife.

Just then, his girlfriends stands up(she was on the gorund), comes right up to me, and slaps me across the face, calling me an A-hole.

I forgot to mention this, but I asked a cop awhile back, about what to do in the case of a seeing a guy physically abusing a gal.

If she says "Yes", then do what you will (within reason) and the law will protect you.

If she says "No" (or the more common "Screw you loser"), then walk away, or you'll end up in jail for assault, as you'll have none of the principals backing your story.

That may be sound legal advice, but like many "tips" that cops give you, that dosen't fly in the real world. I've trained with police officers, and some of the advice they are given on handling situations is laughable. The flaw with asking a woman if she's ok, is that if she's scared of him she won't ask for help, and if she really loves him she won't ask for help. If we're talking about a serious, comitted relationship, I can't really see a scenario where an abused woman would give you the nod to take out her BF/husband.

That may be sound legal advice, but like many "tips" that cops give you, that dosen't fly in the real world. I've trained with police officers, and some of the advice they are given on handling situations is laughable. The flaw with asking a woman if she's ok, is that if she's scared of him she won't ask for help, and if she really loves him she won't ask for help.

But what you see as a flaw is simply a cover-yer-butt reality of life in the 2000's.

If you go whack a guy without getting some "go-head" from the supposed victim, and he get seriously injured, you might find yourself in jail and he'll have a nice collection of CGC comics.

That must have been a really tough situation, given that it was your father, but I think you did the right thing. He may never look at you the same way, but as soon as he raised his hand, he was insuring that you would never look at HIM the same way either.

You should sleep well, knowing you stood up for your mother.

That may be sound legal advice, but like many "tips" that cops give you, that dosen't fly in the real world. I've trained with police officers, and some of the advice they are given on handling situations is laughable. The flaw with asking a woman if she's ok, is that if she's scared of him she won't ask for help, and if she really loves him she won't ask for help.

But what you see as a flaw is simply a cover-yer-butt reality of life in the 2000's.

If you go whack a guy without getting some "go-head" from the supposed victim, and he get seriously injured, you might find yourself in jail and he'll have a nice collection of CGC comics.

Even if you got the go ahead from some damsel in distress at the time of said incident,which side do you think she'll be on when the BF's jackpot civil suit gets to court?Odds are you'll be made to be some deranged mutt who assaulted an unsuspecting couple out for a pleasant stroll.Asking a cop for legal advice is like asking an attorney to stop a bank robbery.

My own advice in a situation like that would be to intervene and then get the hell out of dodge.No need to stick around for the acclaim or the cops. foreheadslap.gif

Asking a cop for legal advice is like asking an attorney to stop a bank robbery.

Hey, this was only advice pertaining to "what will a cop want to know when he arrives" and "who will he arrest", and this was to ensure it never even reaches a lawyer. A lot of who actually takes the rap, falls on the cop who first gets to the scene.

You've never seen those Cops shows where the guy beats up 4 little guys, and then claims he was coming to the aid of a poor damsel? He walks while the 4 other guys get loaded onto the paddywagon.

Works everytime, but you either need friends/witnesses or the girl's support.

JC,

If it works for you great. Several of my friends with the NYPD have told me they generally go after the biggest baddest dude at the scene and since that is most often me, I have found it is best to make like Spidey and not stick around after saving the day.Maybe your Mounties are a tad more civalized than NYs Finest.They often times don't stop to ask a bunch of questions and see if you had permission to lay the guy out.If you are on the scene it's an assault. If you are not there it is often a drunk needing medical attenton as a result of slipping on the sidewalk. thumbsup2.gif

This is very, very common, and comes down to his girlfriend having a personality type that likes verbal and physical abuse. If you hit her back, she'd probably invite you over for a three-some. grin.gif

You know JC - you and I battle back and forth but in something that really is not of the most important thing: comic books.

But a "personality type" that :likes" verbal and physical abuse"? Are you out of your mind? You say things like you are "hyper-intelligent" or you waffle and back-pedal or take good-natured inclusions of you into a creative thread as some form of personal attack and are all doom and gloom over these pitiable (pity JC - please pity me - and while you're at it respect and venerate JC).

Do you have even a freaking CLUE what you are talking about when you claim abused women LIKE to be abused? Are you that so out of touch with any reality but your own that you have absolutely no ability to even empathize with the real reasons why some people allow themselves to be subject to abuse?

You have made some funny posts, some informative posts, some foolish posts but absolutely no post you have made comes anywhere NEAR this one for stupidity and "hey - I am one of you'se guys - accept me because I can say cool things like this."

Probably the ugliest post ever to be posted here.

Do you have even a freaking CLUE what you are talking about when you claim abused women LIKE to be abused?

I don't want to get into this, but I never said that ALL women who are abused like to be abused, only that there is an identified personality type that craves this sort of negative attention. It's also the type that will get quite physically violent when their man is challenged for his actions, hence my comment to Andrew's specific case, where the "supposed victim" smacked him a good one.

Go talk to a psychiatrist and he/she can tell you all about it.

but I never said that ALL women who are abused like to be abused, only that there is an identified personality type that craves this sort of negative attention

And *I* never said that ALL women like to be abused. You're " If you hit her back, she'd probably invite you over for a three-some. grin.gif"

What? You think that is freaking FUNNY and worth a "nod to the guys" grin.gif?????

The REASON some women "crave" (my term - if someone has a better one lemme know) abuse is generally from their upbringing. Usually an authority figure abused her as a child. But, being an authority figure, the child continued to percieve them as someone whose respect and acceptance is desired. Unchecked, this will lead to some who "crave" that attention from a "substitute authority figure" but certainly not in a healthy way and certainly not in a way they WOULD have had those childhood experiences had not occurred. It is basically the rape of one's being and absolutely NOTHING to joke or grin about. or to seek comraderie over.

And *I* never said that ALL women like to be abused. You're " If you hit her back, she'd probably invite you over for a three-some. grin.gif"

The joke may have been in bad taste, but the comment referred to this specific case, where Andrew got the smack down from this particular "victim". She fit the personality type (and no, I'm not referring to what you're talking about, but a recognized disorder/personality), so I made a little joke, but you're taking it as some all-encompassing slam against every woman. 893frustrated.gif

She fit the personality type (and no, I'm not referring to what you're talking about, but a recognized disorder/personality), so I made a little joke

If you can type a personality from that description alone, with no recourse to talking to the woman herself, I commend you.

Now could you please explain what was going through her mind when she struck, what she had experienced as a child, how old she is now, and any other insights you have gleaned from this description that allows you to "type" her?

Now could you please explain what was going through her mind when she struck, what she had experienced as a child, how old she is now, and any other insights you have gleaned from this description that allows you to "type" her?

Oh yes - forgot - how many woman of this type you have interviewed in depth to come to such a conclusion?

so I made a little joke

Yes, you did. Would you make a "little joke" about other things such as a child lost prematurely or a child killed by a drunk driver? Doubtful - but because this deals with something "psychological" it is apparantly open for three-some jokes? Or does someone who has had such an upbringing not deserve any consideration?

Oh yes - forgot - how many woman of this type you have interviewed in depth to come to such a conclusion?

Gotta agree with POV; and not to berate you JC, but just so people aren't jumping to their own conclusions about this topic, I'd like to add to this discussion with some facts.

There are a variety of Personality Type Tests (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator being one of the most widely recognized) that can be administered by a psychiatrist. And there are a variety of different personality types used to better describe a persons condition, behaviour, attitude and habits. But if we were to break down those personality types into basic types, most of us could be generalized as either "passive" or "aggressive" personality types.

The problem is not so much that a female in an abusive relationship is "asking" for the abuse, or that she has a personality type that makes the abuse amenable. Rather, that the person she is with has an abusive personality type. Abusive personalities, by their very nature, are coercive and manipulative, and it is no coincidence that over half of abused women blame themselves for initiating the conflict. I think it is crucial for people who are forming ideas from this discussion to read on the topic at greater length than what either JC, POV or myself have discussed here, as the damage in misinforming people about the "wrongs" of abusing women can be extensive, and in no way should anyone be walking away thinking that a women "asks" for the abuse, or in any way deserves it.

There are many ways to help abused women, and a number of information web sites that give you step by step instructions, advice and counselling. And if you think that it just doesn't happen in this day and age -- your wrong. In Canada, the percentage of physically abused women is somewhere around 12%, and constantly rising. In many cases, this could be your neighbour, your buddies wife, or someone in your own family.

He threw here hard to the ground, almost causing her head to slam into the rear bumper of his car. That's enough as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure he's hit her plenty of times.

Either she was just putting on a show so that her BF wouldn't pummel her later, or she just accepts the Abuse. Either way, it's sad.

You just fell for the worst menage a trois pickup ruse ever... insane.gif

Ok, I got a couple of rants. First off, keep politics out of the comic forums! This is a place to discuss comics, not to call llberals or conservatives names. If you want to do that please make the short walk over to the water cooler and spew all you like. Thank you.

Second, I am sick and tired of dealing with comic shop owners. Why, oh why, do I have to put up with a crappy attitude, surly looks, and staring when I just want to look at and buy some comic books! I live in San Francisco, which has many comic shops but almost all of them suck [!@#%^&^] when it comes to back issues. Comic Relief has a decent selection (and nice clerks

grin.gif) but they are in Berkeley.

There is one shop in San Francisco with a decent (nay, better than decent, excellent) back issue selection, but they are such [!@#%^&^] that it makes it painful to go there. I went there yesterday, small shop, disorganized with books everywhere, covering long boxes, making some boxes inaccessable. Two guys working in store, one at computer ignores me entire time (and I am in store at least 30 minutes). The other grunts when I say Hello and procedes to ignore me as I look through long boxes. He does stare at me the entire time, obviously fearing me making off with that $5.00 copy of Human Fly, but when I turn to him with questioning gaze, he instantly looks back at his "work". No offer to help me find me anything, no offer to actually move some of their [!@#%^&^] out of my way so I could actually see what they have for sale and maybe I don't know, BUY something?? 893frustrated.gif Of course, any of their books over ten bucks are behind the counter, so I go ask to look at those. I get a look like I just asked to sacriflce his first born child. They have great books, all prices at around guide, some more, but mostly right around guide. Now these books aren't cheap, and I don't keep guide prices of hundreds of books memorized, so I ask to look at an overstreet guide. Again, from the look on his face, you would think I was someone he wanted to kill, as opposed to someone actually wanting to give him money. He sorta growls, sighs, and hands over his "precious." At that point, I looked and see a really nice looking book he has priced at guide so I decide to take it. I hand back the guide, and purchase the book. No thank you , no smile, just run the credit card and hand the book. I was treated like a piece of [!@#%^&^] for actually wanting to buy a book from them and I will NOT be going back, despite the fact that they had several other sweet, sweet books that I would buy from someone else.

I don't know how that shop stays in business (or has their selection, amazing fantasy 15, inc hulks 181 and Giant Size Xmen1 up the wazoo) but I won't be going back. I am the most polite customer in the world at shops, but treat me like dog poo and I don't return! mad.gifmad.gif