• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW! ASM 86 at almost $1,500 in 9.4! What gives?

21 posts in this topic

Hey Gang,

I'm the seller of this ASM 86. It turns out the final underbidder was a zero-feedback flake/thrill bidder of some sort - now "no longer a registered eBay user" so the real final bid price was $1,469 -- NOT $2,275.

Still an incredible result, but not AS crazy as might have looked when the auction first ended.

OK, but at least the winning bidder was crazy enough to bid $2275. These things establish new GPA levels and in future auctions bidders feel obliged to bid more to meet the historical prices others have paid.

The very reason I won't use GPA

too many Sellers cling to it

like the Antique Junk dealers splattered all over the country

they see the NM- 9.2 Column in the OGPG and that is the quote they sell VG 3.0 junk at - I always turn around and walk out

CAL doh!

It's not just GPA as a bible...I keep track of sales on many websites to understand what I should pay for a book and what I should expect a book to sell for...and I believe "perfect books" in grade...not just 9.4s to 9.8s, but the best representative copies of a given grade, for example an 8.5 or 8.0, or a 6.0 for that matter, that is perfectly centered with white pages should command a premium... (worship)

So, any given sale that is above or below 20% of the average previous year's selling price is definitely not surprising and perhaps to be expected...and that's huge...that's 40%...if you applied that to other markets that would be ridiculous...but for a non-key book that is one of the more difficult in HG for a book from 1970 (1 in 9.8/9 in 9.6 and 20 in 9.4) that has a 10 book average at $585 and a recent high sale of $625, that should be worth something...it's called information... (shrug)

All I'm saying, or trying to understand, are the factors that caused a book to sell for some $1500 or approximately 3 times its "market" value...this is a valid question...or to put a slightly different spin on it, how can I get this buyer to contact me... :devil: