• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA Archives/Masterworks would you like to see

51 posts in this topic

While we're talking reprints, let's talk format. I picked up the early Superman Archives, and they reprinted the entire book, complete with ads and text and house ads and you-name-it. Loved them.

Then I picked up the Action Archives and they only had front cover and the Superman stories. Let's see a show of hands, who would like to see the ENTIRE books reprinted, rather than the run of a single character?

I'd buy a bunch more HC's new if I got the whole package. As it is I tend to look for them in the half off boxes at the bigger shows.

It depends on how interesting the rest of the book really is - I did like that the Marvel Omnibus issues reprint the letters sections, and have fond memories of the DC Treasury reprints from when I was a kid, but also loved that DC did a Black Canary Archive - with just that character. Also I'm not sure I'd want to see a Police Comics Archive over the Plastic Man ones.

I do like the fact that we can get all the Black Canary stories in a single volume, likewise all the Dr. Fate stories in one book. But I also enjoy the anthology format as they did with the 2nd-string JSA All-Stars Archive. Reminds me of the 100 Page Super-Spectacular reprint series from the 1970s, where you got a single Spectre story sandwiched between a Golden Age Batman and a Blackhawk story. The anthology format also helps to disguise the weaknesses of the formalaic nature of many of the Golden Age strips. ;)

So here's a new idea for an Archive edition... again borrowing from a 1970s reprint concept, how about a Wanted Archives featuring Golden Age origins or first appearances of the super-villains? I think all the great Batman villains have already been done, but you would probably want to include the first Joker and the 3 Two-Face stories again just for historical importance. Then add to it some more obscure villains who otherwise would not be reprinted. I'm thinking of the 3 non-JSA Solomon Grundy stories, the initial appearances of The Shade, The Thinker, The Icicle, Sportsmaster & Huntress, and maybe some really obscure ones like The Foil, Rag Doll, or Monocle.

I like the villian focus - many times the GA villians were more interesting than the heroes.

I completely agree that collecting all 3 Solomon Grundy appearances with other obscure villians would be awesome - I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I loved the Wanted series as a kid in the early 70's.

I would love a complete GA Catwoman appearance Archive - likewise Two-Face.

An all Harlequin GA Green Lantern book would be cool!

Years ago I had a dream that Marvel had a title called Tales of the Red Skull which simultaneously reprinted both GA and SA appearances in chronological order - complete with split covers in the manner of the old TTA/TOS books. I don't have them frequently, but it seems whenever I dream about comics - it's always titles that don't exist.

And yeah - the anthology format of the 100 pages went a long way to disguising the weakness/repetition of alot of GA material - probably why I still have a few sitting around.

Is there any way to make our voices known ? Does anyone know of a website that lists collections that are in the works? I have always wanted to see the ATOMIC KNIGHTS ,VENUS,and S&K SANDMAN. Does the Kirby estate have anything to do with reprint rights on the GA material? Thanks for any info.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Years ago I had a dream that Marvel had a title called Tales of the Red Skull which simultaneously reprinted both GA and SA appearances in chronological order - complete with split covers in the manner of the old TTA/TOS books. I don't have them frequently, but it seems whenever I dream about comics - it's always titles that don't exist.

I've been wanting a GA Red Skull collection as well.

It will never happen, but oh I wish it would

Have Shield compile you a disc with all the Dicky stories on them! Even though he would be contributing to people with a psycholigical whip disorder, I think he's still do it.

Well, this thread turned out pretty well. Lots of good suggestions. I'm actually going to vote for more volumes of Batman and Detective and Batman in World's Finest. I bought the first Detective volume at Wondercon in 1991 and here we are 17 years later and volume 7 has just come out! I'm hoping they will at least reprint the Batman stories in Detective up through #200 or #250 (I wouldn't buy them after about 250) but at this rate that will take until 2025! It's a drag. Batman is even worse as I think they've only made it up to issue 20. The last thing I read is that they are going to make some changes to the Archives line so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm not optimistic that they'll suddenly up the volume of releases.

Oh, the DC Archives volume I'd absolutely most like to see isn't GA. It's a deluxe hardcover color complete reprinting of Glanzman's USS Stevens stories. Insanely good 4-5 page gems.

Marc

P.S.--I've actually been enjoying reading Tomahawks as they come in. The ones before the aliens and dinosaurs show up.

I've been wanting a GA Red Skull collection as well.

It would be cool - and they'd all fit in one volume including his return in Young Men #24. Though the 40 pager in Young Allies #4 is pretty awful. I would also groove on a SA collection of Red Skull stories as well - up through the Cosmic Cube story that introduced the Falcon.