• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long is too long to wait for a commission

57 posts in this topic

During a show in the begining of March I commissioned an artist to do a two figure piece for me. I contacted that artist a little more then a month ago and he said it was being completed and sent out soon. Here we are a month and a little later and I have not heard back form him. I have sent him 2 emails just asking if it was sent to assure it didnt get damaged. I have not heard back from him.

He is a fairly "in demand" artist and I know that he has been to many of the big shows these past few months, so how long is too long to wait. Am I just being impatent or unrealistic in the time frame?

I dont want this to become another Michael Golden patience is a virture thing, and no its not Golden.

Coming from someone who has commissioned dozens of artists from all over the spectrum of talent and fame I can say categorically that a month or two is pretty much nothing in terms of time to wait, especially in convention season.

Artists squeeze in commissions between monthly gigs and convention/store appearances. Something that would have taken a few days winds up taking a few weeks when their editor is calling looking for this months story pages, and they are late for the airport for the Wizard World Tierra Del Fuego Convention.

The best artists keep in contact via email or phone to let you know if there is a problem or issue. If that artist is on deadline or traveling or both it might taken them up to a week to email you back.

There are people out there who are past 5 years waiting on a commission. Myself, I have commissions that are a couple years past due, but the artists are courteous(and seriously in demand) and don't forget to talk to me about what's going on.

Not all artists work at the same speed either. Bob Layton can create a gorgeous made to order piece from concept to being in the mail to you in less than a week. He is the exception and not the rule. Some of the best pieces I have commissioned have taken a year to complete. What I am saying is time is subjective when we are talking about creating pieces of art.

The way I approach commissions is pretty simple. If I respect an artist enough to commission a piece of art from them then I have to respect their other committments as well. The commission is not created in a vaccuum where deadlines and conventions do not occur. I find artists do their best work when they are working with someone who they know respects them and isn't treating them like and "art monkey" as is the term.

If I were you I would patient and try to contact via email again and leave some time for response.

There is a time and place to get angry or upset about a late commission....one month past due during convention season is probably not rising to that level yet.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Thanks thats the input I was looking for. I am new to getting "large" commissions done so I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I guess I have been spoiled when it comes to getting my fallen son books done since the turnaround is usually about 2 weeks

I waited 6 months for a pencil sketch from an artist named Anthony Carpenter (funny how that works) and almost 3 months for Layton, so I think you're doing ok.

Did you pay for the commission in advance?

I did and I guess that is why I am concerned cause this is more then I have ever spent before on a commission.

I am not too worried though cause he will be attending a show I will be going to later this year. I just wanted to see if my concerns were justifiable or if I was just off base

Edited by Par2ch

i have no problem waiting for an artist to clear time in their schedule to begin to work on a piece for me but when they tell you they are almost finished and then you never hear from them again-- well, that really upsets me. he owes you the courtesy of at least an e-mail saying he has been delayed, etc.....

I have been waiting two years for mine. May seem long but it will be worth it.

S

Two years? Wow. Did you know, going in, that this was going to be your time frame? If not, it's hard to accept that kind of delay. Unless, of course, payment is on completion.

There are people out there who are past 5 years waiting on a commission.

:hi:

just call me "people"

No, we will call you :insane: !

I haven't waited too long, but there is a piece that is going on 7 months. The artist told me it was two weeks away from completion, that was 3 months ago ! - That's the stuff I can't stand.

If it's taken longer than anticipated, that's fine. But don't feed me BS and tell me it's ice cream ! lol

So if he dies before he "gets around to it" you are out the cash? If these were $100 $200 I could see the risk but some of these guys ask for 4 figures and then to wait 5 years. wow

When he does die and everyone does then the last 5 years of commision requests are gunna get a raw deal.

I can't believe someone hasn't whipped out the, "Patience is Virue" quote yet.

Patience is a Virue . . .

Read my first post of this thread

I can't believe someone hasn't whipped out the, "Patience is Virue" quote yet.

Patience is a Virue . . .

Read my first post of this thread

I did.

You said, "Patience is a Virtue." Quote:

"I dont want this to become another Michael Golden patience is a virture thing, and no its not Golden. "

Big difference between 'Virtue' and 'Virue', don'tcha think?

Ok...ok...I hate to the voice of reason here...but if you're waiting 5 years for a piece of OA, you're crazy. I'll let those with insane goals slide, (like super large OA, awkward DPSes and those with lots of demands).

...if an artist has a 5 year wait list, I'll buy some other OA from this artists (rather than a personalized commission.

However, I now find myself conflicted, because I would probably wait a good while for a Dale Keown Hulk piece...