• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I don't have time to help Police the boards, I can't believe how many of you worry about these so called rules. We are all in this together for a common purpose. The hobby of comic collecting!

Who are you - Robocop?

Theres no help needed here.Maybe some additional skin to help with thickness but thats all.

The Modern Forum rules man!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

(thumbs u

I don't have time to help Police the boards, I can't believe how many of you worry about these so called rules. We are all in this together for a common purpose. The hobby of comic collecting!

Couldn't have said it better. Some members will do anything to fight or avoid discussions about comics. It is ridiculous. It isn't a shock that Branget left the boards (he still answers his cell for those of you who are worriers like me). I imagine that people read the nonsense and vitriolic language that people spew on here and don't join or engage in discussion every single day.

Is anyone else disgusted by this variant tear they are on. It's unsettling and a clear money grab. I was a loyal reader and happily bought the very few variants that were released. Now every issue needs some ploy to increase the numbers?

It has completely turned me off to continuing my run. I'm being punished for being a fan if they expect that collectors should dish out hundreds of dollars for every tiny run variant they offer.

I know it's a free country, don't get the variants, blah, blah, blah. For those collectors who are completists and want to own all the issues in a series they really love, it sucks balls.

you Kirkman, and I'll expect the blue/red/gold/silver issues to be released in the near future.

Is anyone else disgusted by this variant tear they are on. It's unsettling and a clear money grab. I was a loyal reader and happily bought the very few variants that were released. Now every issue needs some ploy to increase the numbers?

It has completely turned me off to continuing my run. I'm being punished for being a fan if they expect that collectors should dish out hundreds of dollars for every tiny run variant they offer.

I know it's a free country, don't get the variants, blah, blah, blah. For those collectors who are completists and want to own all the issues in a series they really love, it sucks balls.

you Kirkman, and I'll expect the blue/red/gold/silver issues to be released in the near future.

Actually, if you pretend all the issue 100 variant madness didnt happen...there really hasnt been that many variants.

People are just upset that right after getting 16 different covers of issue 100 that all the sudden we get another one. Now if he goes on and does a variant for every cover for next six months. I agree we then have a problem... But right now. Shrug.

To beat a dead horse...

aside from 2nd printings, there wasn't a variant until 25 (df which wasn't really a variant, just a handful signed), then 50. From 75 till now there have been a mess ton of variants (75, 80, 81, 85, 87,100,101). 20 or so variants in the last 25 issues? I'm about ready to cut the series off myself. That and the art, dragging on of storylines has put me at the end of my rope.

Edited by kolmaravenue

*sp00n* Yeah!!! :headbang:

There may have been a bunch of variants lately, but it doesn't change anything about my reading experience. It's an ongoing story that costs 3 bucks a month - which is still well worth it in my opinion. I really enjoyed the last issue.

Did anyone else manage to read all of issue 101 in like 2 minutes? Seemed to me like there was almost no dialog in this latest issue. So add that on top of the rushed artwork and um, yeah um, hey at least the TV show is back on in less than 2 months. :)

There may have been a bunch of variants lately, but it doesn't change anything about my reading experience. It's an ongoing story that costs 3 bucks a month - which is still well worth it in my opinion. I really enjoyed the last issue.

Likewise. It's all about the read for me. (thumbs u

Just say no to the 'gotta have em all' mentality.

I think the variants are a very big deal because the only place you can buy a lot of them are on Ebay for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. So, who do you think are getting firs dibs at these new variants? If Image was going to put out so many variants they should have all been placed at the same time so everyone could plan to get one. You buy 200 regular issues to get 1 variant at cover price ant that is $700 and your variant sells on Ebay for 188.00 your regular editions sell for 2.00 each and you have made a total of 588.00 when you paid out 700. On the other had these other variants pop out of nowhere and sell for 400.00 each and 3 or 4 people on Ebay are selling them, that is non sense. Image always do this every convention they have more and more variants and it dilutes the real issues. Now, if those secret variants had not come out the 200 book retail incentive would have been selling for 500 to 600.00 but the new variants have hurt the old ones. There is nothing to do but try and flip this book because to be honest the story sucked. There are so many thought provoking books out there right now that are being overlook over a book like this... this entire event is for flipping. See if you sell comics you probably sold 200 issues of WD100 very easy, you then get a variant and you sell it for 188.00 you are smiling and happy. The convention people and insiders get the other variants and sell them for 400 or 500 they are happy but the collector gets nothing. But, if all the variants are put out at the same time the collector has a much better chance of getting the books he or she wants. It looks like Image is reverting to the Image of old... For anyone who does not remember, Image was huuuuge back in the day and then they faded due to gimmicks like this, and it looks like it may be happening again. That is why I am a big fan of Brian K. Vaughan, I have never know any of his books to have a variant ... one and done... on Y, the last man, Saga, or any of his titles, he even measures his conventions. I know sometimes these tactics seem rigid but in the end they do protect value to the real collector. In my opinion The Walking Dead Weekly was also a variant gimmick.

Sure- but it was also a jumping on point for new readers who heard of the comic through the show. Didn't affect my reading experience, but I could see how it affected some people's collecting experience. Guess it depends on what your trying to get out of the series.

I say good for kirkman. If I created a comic that became this popular I think 15 covers for issue 100 would be an honor of sort. I chose to buy the two I liked, and I moved on. It's collectors own fault for trying to "catch em all", then get mad because more are being made. If you collect variants and can't see how they are money grabs that mostly depreciate in value over time, I don't know what to say. If you say you like the walking dead, what was your favorite scene, I'd say "Rick, you're back. What kept you"?

Which walking dead are you talking about? 1. The early walking dead, 2. The TV series Walking dead, 3. The Walking Dead before Rick lost his hand? This series has had a lot of different twists and it is not the same book it was during early issues. Now, if you want to catch up on the story just go online and read the issues, anyone can do that ... at anytime. There are a lot of Novels about zombies out there... I enjoyed WWZ, if I want a novel I can buy a novel or audio books. I buy comics for the art work first...Walking Dead is just a single Title in my collection... nothing more it is not my favorite or even in my top 50 books... I have issues the show came out and they started getting hot so... I have interest but it is by no means one of my top books it is a good book.

Did anyone else manage to read all of issue 101 in like 2 minutes? Seemed to me like there was almost no dialog in this latest issue. So add that on top of the rushed artwork and um, yeah um, hey at least the TV show is back on in less than 2 months. :)

i felt the opposite way. i really enjoyed the issue.

i felt the opposite way. i really enjoyed the issue.

Yea this one wasn't bad really. Now #98 or #99 I remember, and wrote this here before, that I literally lit up a cigarette as I started (reading it digitally as my cigarette smoke goes nowhere near the inside of my house/comics), and was done before I put my cigarette out. Took me 4 minutes to breeze through.

I will ask this question if it is so much about the read how are we letting so many good books die? There are a ton of fantastic stories that are not getting the acclaim they deserve...Why? Because we are unable to flip them. For example one of the best books I have read this year is Ragemoor it is just fantastic and you can buy it for pennies on the dollar. Where is the love of reading on this book? What about a good funny book like Double Jumpers where is the love on that book? How about Ramiel the Wrath of God no one is tearing down doors for this book. But, it is a fantastic read, just fantastic... I have it... I have Anders Nilsen, I have Chester I have all kinds of books I do not talk about. Perhaps people should try to understand why we collect and why we sometimes flip books. I need Walking Dead, Chew, JLA, Revival, I need these book to flip so I can buy books like: northlanders, Conan, A Fine and Private Place, Rachel Rising and Scam just to name a few. I wish you could see my order history what I buy each month... it is just like music. It is not what you blast around friends or at party it is what you listen to when you are alone and no one knows or cares.