• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

The cheapest rate for grading books is $18 for modern. Then you have to ship the books there, that cost money, then you have to have them insured back and forth, then have them ship them back to you. I don't see how anyone could make any money selling slabbed moderns for $25 each. That's just dumb if you sold them for cost.

The only way I see getting slabbed books for $25 is if they aren't selling and someone just wants to dump them.

If you slab large amounts...say 100 books. I would think some or most of the slabs sell well. The others you dump after a while to recover what you can. But there would be a profit on the whole(the hundred books) I do contract work where I lose on one item and make money on another. So the contact as a whole is a profit. But if you brake that contract down by line items ,some would be at a lose. But not as a whole.

Do you know how much 200-300 books weigh? Do you think that the postal services will give you a break for that much weight? No way

I'd love to see someones invoice for 300 books, graded shipped to and from, with insurance. Then divide that cost by 300 and I guarantee it's WAY more than $25 a book

I think CGC charges $9 for the first book then $2 per additional book after that... So for a 300 book submission that would be $607 in shipping alone?

Do you know how much 200-300 books weigh? Do you think that the postal services will give you a break for that much weight? No way

I'd love to see someones invoice for 300 books, graded shipped to and from, with insurance. Then divide that cost by 300 and I guarantee it's WAY more than $25 a book

I think CGC charges $9 for the first book then $2 per additional book after that... So for a 300 book submission that would be $607 in shipping alone?

Where does it say that books graded are $9? Do you have a link?

The cheapest rate for grading books is $18 for modern. Then you have to ship the books there, that cost money, then you have to have them insured back and forth, then have them ship them back to you. I don't see how anyone could make any money selling slabbed moderns for $25 each. That's just dumb if you sold them for cost.

The only way I see getting slabbed books for $25 is if they aren't selling and someone just wants to dump them.

If you slab large amounts...say 100 books. I would think some or most of the slabs sell well. The others you dump after a while to recover what you can. But there would be a profit on the whole(the hundred books) I do contract work where I lose on one item and make money on another. So the contact as a whole is a profit. But if you brake that contract down by line items ,some would be at a lose. But not as a whole.

Good point, you could figure out your sales that way. But then you might take more of a loss than a gain. Or maybe break even. I don't know I'm not into that much to figure out sales. Just seems to me to be a waste of time trying to make money.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. They charge $9 for shipping on the first book and an additional $2 for shipping each additional book

Sorry, I should have been more clear. They charge $9 for shipping on the first book and an additional $2 for shipping each additional book

Holy poop shoot. $607 for shipping alone. :o No way anyone would make a profit for 25 bux a pop. Where's bffnut with his formulas?

I'll tell you though that I took a loss on that page I had up for auction. Just goes to show that some of those pages are way overpriced. Sorry Mark I still love ya. :foryou:

And yes I know I bought it at the price I did but I really liked it. Was just trying to get the money I had into, back. Maybe the buyer won't pay then I'll just keep it. I'm just gonna take the money and buy WD books anyways. lol

All this talk of shipping makes me so glad CGC is only 40 minutes from me :)

Yo!! Florida boy!! Me too!! I live in West Palm Beach. 2 hours from CGC and possibly you!! Nice

Sounds a little creepy my B. lol

lol

I'm in Clearwater. I make a CGC trip every 2-3 weeks for dropoffs and pickups :)

Where's bffnut with his formulas?

lol, sorry I've been busy prepping for something my friends and I call, "Nerdsgiving." It's Thanksgiving for just my group of friends.

I just checked CGC's website and the cheapest shipping method is UPS at $10 for the first slab and $2 for each additional slab.

Assuming a submission of 30 books, at $14.40 per book ($18 w/20% discount), a $5 invoice fee and $68 shipping, a total of $505 is $16.83 per book.

If you sell a slab for $25, the PayPal fee on that (separate of the fee on the addl amount paid for shipping) is $1.03 (2.9% + $0.30), which leaves a profit margin after slabbing of $7.14. That is over twice cover on most comics.

The same slab on eBay yields a fee to them of about $2.50, and reduces your profit to $4.64.

So selling a slab for $25 can be profitable. But like some others have already said, the ones that go for $25 are going to be the ones your clearing out to get that marginal sale after you've made money on the rest of the slabs you subbed.

Where's bffnut with his formulas?

lol, sorry I've been busy prepping for something my friends and I call, "Nerdsgiving." It's Thanksgiving for just my group of friends.

I just checked CGC's website and the cheapest shipping method is UPS at $10 for the first slab and $2 for each additional slab.

Assuming a submission of 30 books, at $14.40 per book ($18 w/20% discount), a $5 invoice fee and $68 shipping, a total of $505 is $16.83 per book.

If you sell a slab for $25, the PayPal fee on that (separate of the fee on the addl amount paid for shipping) is $1.03 (2.9% + $0.30), which leaves a profit margin after slabbing of $7.14. That is over twice cover on most comics.

The same slab on eBay yields a fee to them of about $2.50, and reduces your profit to $4.64.

And since the turn around times are around 6 months right now, that means any slabbed modern that was released in the past few months had to be fast tracked. So that reduces the profit to -$6ish

Edited by nikocb