• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Two things:

A: I'm very glad we were able to derail the conversation and bring this thread back to what it should be about, which is OA :acclaim:

B: Here are a few pages that should serve as a nice gauge on the market for the future (Thanks dem!)

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dadlard%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_989093&id=989093

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dadlard%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_986929&id=986929

Go for it bro. That's a sweet page. You got Holly and Abe. $1000+ on that one, all day long.

Pass the crack pipe.

No thank you gave it up... lol

Really? You don't think it will sell for that? I think it will 100%

Ok I took one of the + signs out.

There's always a possibility it might do... but I think on a $0.99 auction it wouldn't due to the real competition lying elsewhere. Usually at this point I'd spout some rhetoric about how a bit of patience and waiting for a decent older page at a better price would be the best thing.... but it isn't. Not now. This is where the real contest lies, you are going to be up against James / Jerry / Gene and anyone else that has decided to partake. It might just keep the prices lower on these because people aren't going to want to diminish their purchasing power if something better is coming up around the corner.

... there is always going to be something better coming up around the corner.

2c

I don't know. You've got two big players buying everything and keeping them stored up. Then you have a ton of other players buying up good pages as they come along. I just don't see how you can say there's always something better coming up around the corner when long term Tony Moore and older Charlie stuff to many trumps the new items from a (and I know how insufferable this is about to sound) purists standpoint (pre 115 with the additional inker, etc:

Good pages barely come up on Ebay, CL & other sites as it is. Zombie pages are even tougher. Great zombie pages? Get them while you can.

Well to elaborate... I didn't mean the newer stuff being the "better stuff around the corner", quite the opposite I was meaning on the secondary market. I was thinking more along the lines of the focus of people at the deeper end of the pool shifting slightly away from the later pages and maybe waiting for the better (older) stuff. I accept that for the smaller collector this simply won't be the case any more. Earlier TWD pages are now out of reach unless you want to get into a bidding war :(

I just can't look at the half splash with Holly as a consumer if it has a $1000 price tag on it. It's gone past the point of being art for the sake of enjoyment for me. Might not be the case for everyone but then they may have to be prepared to pay what is likely to be the top end of market value and shrug off anything that they lose later on down the line or hold it for a very long time.

How many people own an Adlard page from TWD? There is approx 2200 in private hands. Maybe 1500 people? Less? As a percentage of either the TV show audience or the comic readership that's tiny, and there may be quite a few not coming back for more since the prices went crazy. It's always going to be popular, no doubt. Maybe my brain can't handle this much insanity :insane:

:)

Go for it bro. That's a sweet page. You got Holly and Abe. $1000+ on that one, all day long.

Pass the crack pipe.

There's always a possibility it might do... but I think on a $0.99 auction it wouldn't due to the real competition lying elsewhere. Usually at this point I'd spout some rhetoric about how a bit of patience and waiting for a decent older page at a better price would be the best thing.... but it isn't. Not now. This is where the real contest lies, you are going to be up against James / Jerry / Gene and anyone else that has decided to partake. It might just keep the prices lower on these because people aren't going to want to diminish their purchasing power if something better is coming up around the corner.

2c

I don't know. You've got two big players buying everything and keeping them stored up. Then you have a ton of other players buying up good pages as they come along. I just don't see how you can say there's always something better coming up around the corner when long term Tony Moore and older Charlie stuff to many trumps the new items from a (and I know how insufferable this is about to sound) purists standpoint (pre 115 with the additional inker, etc:

Good pages barely come up on Ebay, CL & other sites as it is. Zombie pages are even tougher. Great zombie pages? Get them while you can.

Exactly well said, both of you.

Zombie pages are so hard to come by. Especially early pages, if you look at what Mark has for sale pre 115, there are none. Except the one with Jesus riding by 1 on a horse. I was looking for a long time for a good walker page and couldn't find one. I ended up getting 1 page from Mark, 106 but it really didn't do it for me. So I sold it and waited. Finally I bought something good from Jerry and then I got another awesome one recently from Mark. He still has some great ones up. Anyways I think that if Adlard did all the work on these new issues, then the prices would be even more. Especially cause they are 11x17. I love the big pages!! I want more!!!!

Pass the crack pipe.

2c

I've had a think about this --- will pages go down in value? Maybe...but then I think people will just squat on them...if the market crashes I just won't sell - or anyone else for that matter - that will keep the price high enough..I think its so good for the Adlard market that his time as the inker is finished - unless he comes back to the book, his inks are now limited. How many pages are there? 100 issues give or take, times 25 pages give or take, is about 2500 pages. That's it!! From that, 4-5 collectors probably own at least 1/5 of that.

Someone better than I can figure out how many zombie pages there are. From that, figure out how many are drawn well. Once you break it down, you see it will be pretty hard to come up with a good page 5 years down the line, 10 years etc..

I do think the prices have gotten crazy, and if I wasn't so lazy, I'd be selling off 20-30 pages on Ebay..pages that are drawn well but just arent frame-worthy to me...one of these days.. :)2c

Pass the crack pipe.

2c

I've had a think about this --- will pages go down in value? Maybe...but then I think people will just squat on them...if the market crashes I just won't sell - or anyone else for that matter - that will keep the price high enough..I think its so good for the Adlard market that his time as the inker is finished - unless he comes back to the book, his inks are now limited. How many pages are there? 100 issues give or take, times 25 pages give or take, is about 2500 pages. That's it!! From that, 4-5 collectors probably own at least 1/5 of that.

Someone better than I can figure out how many zombie pages there are. From that, figure out how many are drawn well. Once you break it down, you see it will be pretty hard to come up with a good page 5 years down the line, 10 years etc..

I do think the prices have gotten crazy, and if I wasn't so lazy, I'd be selling off 20-30 pages on Ebay..pages that are drawn well but just arent frame-worthy to me...one of these days.. :)2c

Yeah well like I said, I am just having a moment trying to process it all and it is all just a bit

989-jackie-chan-rage.png

Yeah well like I said, I am just having a moment trying to process it all and it is all just a bit

989-jackie-chan-rage.png

do you mean the info, or your bowels..from the picture, me thinks its definitely your bowels ;)

989-jackie-chan-rage.png

do you mean the info, or your bowels..from the picture, me thinks its definitely your bowels ;)

Yes Jerry. OA is a good source of fibre.

Yes Jerry. OA is a good source of fibre.

:)

Def the bowels. Jerry, when are we doing Williamsburg again?

whenever - ill pm you! though I prefer beer/steak/bbq to the japanese place phil took me too....dinosaur bbq anyone??

Edited by JS

It's funny that the prices of OA with zombies on them are always more expensive. When I started looking to buy a page for my collection I avoided any page that had a zombie on it.

Why? Well, there is no way my wife would have let me frame it and hang it on the wall. So, I looked for characters I liked being on it and also something happening that I felt was cool. That is how I ended up with the OA page I bought.

It's funny that the prices of OA with zombies on them are always more expensive. When I started looking to buy a page for my collection I avoided any page that had a zombie on it.

Why? Well, there is no way my wife would have let me frame it and hang it on the wall. So, I looked for characters I liked being on it and also something happening that I felt was cool. That is how I ended up with the OA page I bought.

I'm running into the issue of what is and what isn't allowed on the walls right now. I shouldn't be surprised, but some of my favorite pages are better kept in the portfolio than on display...