• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta sig goes wild

85 posts in this topic

Ok, I see your point, and I am not saying you are wrong that some people will see it this way, but take it from another perspective.

Artists would have to be naive to think that people never ever sell any of the work they do for more than they paid to acquire it. Free sketches were probably doomed anyway, since the number of people that line up for them has increase exponentially (and that word doesn't even seem to adequately describe how much so), as well as the sheer number of comic artists doing them. You used to be able to count the major artists on two hands - Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Infantino, Anderson, well you get it...

As an artists, I sort of feel, what good is my art if it is not seen and enjoyed by an audience? Sure I've bitten the big one on occasion, sometimes at hands of the publishers, who also take advantage of artists as well. Fortunately, that's changed a little in recent years, as artists have gained a "voice".

And after all isn't it the fans that make an artists "famous". These fans do not benefit or get a comission because they increase the value of an artists work because of popularity. Without the fans the art would be virtually worthless.

An artist can ask what they want one of their works. If that person turns around and sells it for more, it only serves to increase the value of an artists work.

But I do understand that not everyone will see it this way. Such is life...

Personally, if I was an artist, and my work was selling for the big bucks on eBay (or anywhere), I'd be flattered. :)

The 5.5 Vampirella # 1 sold for 801.00 This further helps to prove Mr. Frazetta's value. The book has a value of 150.00 to 200.00 in that grade. Which means that Mr. Frazetta's signature combined with the yellow label is worth 601 to 651 dollars. It is worth even more on rarer higher grade books.

Instead of adding a dollar amount for his signature worth, I think it is more fair to say that from the last several sales on and off Ebay, that his signature has more than tripled the GPA values of each title whether it was a 200 or 2000 dollar book. Of course this is only the case with Signature Series slabs which is a testament to the strength of this program.

I would just like to say that it's a free country. We can buy and sell anything we want to. Selling is not meant to be disrespectful to anyone and I love this hobby as much as anyone who claims sellers are evil.

Every sale I have made has been to a happy customer who appreciates what I do. If someone doesn't agree with what is being sold....don't buy it....but don't belittle those who do sell. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't make them out to be evil scum bags! We don't call those who disagree with us names so be respectful to those who do. I respect the opinions of everyone who has disagreed with sellers in this "topic".

I think what CGC offers and provides is something truly remarkable and outstanding. To have an almost 100% guarantee on signatures being provided helps to keep forgerys from being introduced to the market. That alone makes any profit made on books worth it....whether it was $5 or $5000.

I have paid $1000 for comics that sold for $500 and I have paid $500 for comics that I sold for $1000. At the end of the day if a seller makes $5000 off a comic book....TRUST ME there are tons of other items they lost money on. I think someone charging $279 for signatures is NOT being taken advantage of and obviously he is doing it as much for the money as he is for the "fans".

CGC was correct in the fact the signing was for fans. Fans can be collectors or sellers alike.....

Thank you CGC for providing great services. Keep up the good work!!!

Welcome to the boards. I've been watching your store as you always have unique SS books. Let me know once you have Ditko set up.

Ditko?

I think he worked on Spider-man for a little while.... :kidaround:

:gossip: Ditko is the white whale of SS witnesses...

C

I would just like to say that it's a free country. We can buy and sell anything we want to. Selling is not meant to be disrespectful to anyone and I love this hobby as much as anyone who claims sellers are evil.

Every sale I have made has been to a happy customer who appreciates what I do. If someone doesn't agree with what is being sold....don't buy it....but don't belittle those who do sell. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't make them out to be evil scum bags! We don't call those who disagree with us names so be respectful to those who do. I respect the opinions of everyone who has disagreed with sellers in this "topic".

I think what CGC offers and provides is something truly remarkable and outstanding. To have an almost 100% guarantee on signatures being provided helps to keep forgerys from being introduced to the market. That alone makes any profit made on books worth it....whether it was $5 or $5000.

I have paid $1000 for comics that sold for $500 and I have paid $500 for comics that I sold for $1000. At the end of the day if a seller makes $5000 off a comic book....TRUST ME there are tons of other items they lost money on. I think someone charging $279 for signatures is NOT being taken advantage of and obviously he is doing it as much for the money as he is for the "fans".

CGC was correct in the fact the signing was for fans. Fans can be collectors or sellers alike.....

Welcome to the boards! I too watch your items regularly,and have bought from you many times!

This is such a specious argument. First, I don't think anyone claimed any Frazetta SS sellers were evil. This is a common trick for people wishing to argue with others. Set up a false proposition and knock it down.

Second, whether you've made or lost money or other comic/SS sales is completely irrelevant. The issue being debated was the sale of the Mile High book that was bought, signed and flipped in less than a month.

My contention still stands. It is disingenuous to say that the SS opportunity was for the fans when it was only offered to SS witnesses as a thank you for their participation in the SS program. That sounds like the retailer promo issues offered to dealers by publishers. They may end up in the hands of non-dealers and the dealers may be fans, but it wasn't offered to non-SS witnesses, period. The thing I think is funny is that the whole thing was written up a big fan driven occasion. I think it's fine to offer it just to SS witnesses as a reward. Just don't turn around and tell me it's completely altruistic.

Finally, I'd love to hear your thoughts on having pedigree or other similarly unique high grade books signed. That was my biggest problem with the whole deal.

Makmorn said this

"I think for someone to sell one of the books already is their choice, but shows very little class, hell, at least wait until the ink dries, enjoy it for a little while maybe. The seller of that book had no desire to enjoy the book, and no respect for the effort involved with getting anything past the watchful eyes of Ellie Frazetta, and definately not a Frazetta fan to sell it that quickly. To run out and buy a pedigree book to be signed is one thing, but to turn around and sell it that quickly, when he probably did not need the money, (evidenced by the purchase of a pedigree book just for the sole purpose of a SS) just stinks on ice, and hopefully his spot will be occupied by a true fan should there ever be another signing."

Could not have put it better myself. It is his right to re-sell the book. But from what I hear (and I am kinda new to this myself) respect is what it is all about in this industry. Whoever this person was....definitely lost my respect. I am keeping my book until well......I'm an old man probablly at least then. I mean ask any artist today who some of their inspirations were....all of them practically say Frazetta and how could you not. It is cool that that book sold for so much, I know my 9.4 Creepy 15 will be worth loot one day. But it aint going anywhere.

One last thing.....I consider the signature room my home. If I see any of you guys around at a con and you need me to hold a spot, or if I can pass on a tip as to where a hot artist/ good sketches can be found at I WILL. Why because it is all about respect baby, and since I am new, I need to earn some. This frazetta flipper, definitely lost my respect IMO. Just because of the diss to the Frazetta Family. (at least sell it privately which is crazy easy nowadays) (ebay sucks) and also the diss to cgc and the people involved in setting all of it up. They said it was for the fans. So be a fan. (Because you don't want to get pointed out at a con in front of the artists......."THATS THE FLIPPER!"

cuz we all know.....ya gotta hustle sometime ;)

my 2cents.

Oh, I know who he is. People would like for me to work on getting it done but it would be near impossible....

Try Impossible. Mr. Ditko Turned Me down flat. He could not even be swayed by large and I mean large amounts of money. In fact the idea of paying him for his signature insulted him.

For all those hoping for a Steve Ditko SS books some day I would say there is less that a .01% chance he will ever sign for signature series or otherwise. He just wants his privacy.

Well, I have cooled down a bit since I wrote that. :cool:

I think I was mostly aggrivated due to the fact there was a delay in the shipping of the books, and most of us had not even recieved our books and that guy already sold his. Hopefully, a fan bought it, I doubt another flipper would spend that much on it.

I am very happy with my book, and have no plans to sell it. It looks great and doubt I would trade it for something as meaningless as money, (which can be always be replaced).

I was a little disappointed it did not come back as a 9.8 (it was borderline) but it's still the highest graded and one of my favorite Frazetta covers. :cloud9:

creepy11SSsm.jpg

Well, I think it would depend on the book. You may curse me but I have a Creepy #1 signed by Frazetta in 9.4 condition. Some would say why did I ruin a high grade copy of Creepy #1 by getting it signed. Some would say it was a great idea. Some wouldn't care. I personally love it and had the one copy in question not sell for $7500 I would tell you I would never sell my Creepy #1.....BUT.....when someone is willing to pay $5000 for a signature it makes it very tempting....

I think it's fine if someone wants to have their book signed even if it's a pedigree. To each his own. If the person wants to keep it for themselves then that is all the more reason to get it signed as it will be special to that person. If it was signed only for intention of selling it...well...half the population may scold him and the other half may praise him and want to buy it.

I personally would love an Amazing Fantasy 15 signed by both Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. If I had a 9.4 in my collection and I could assure myself that if I could have it signed by both and still have it come back a 9.4 I would definitely do it.

Aside from this topic I just wish people would calm down about sellers. I have NEVER been out to take advantage of anyone. I've had people claim that I do but whenever you go to a convention and pay someone for a signature or a piece of art and turn around and sell it...well...that is not taking advantage of anyone. It's simply being in business. It's no different than a dealer buying comics through Diamond and reselling them to make money. I respect people saying they disagree with it and if it isn't for them...then so be it. I don't get mad or upset with them. It is simply their opinion. I always laugh at a conventions when people see me in line with an artist and they whisper to the artist that I am a dealer/Ebay seller (They think that because of this the artist won't sign or sketch for me). Most of the time I know the artist and they tell me about it and we have a good laugh. They are there for the money just as much as the dealers. Sure, you can pick out one or two artists who don't care for it and that is OK. If they don't want to sell to someone because they are a dealer then there are tons of others who will. I hold nothing against them.

I think I have rambled on long enough. I've probably written enough to make everyone upset at me but sometimes I just say what others are too afraid to say outloud. This hobby is big enough for everyone! Let's just all get along and have fun! Isn't that what it's all about anyway??!!