• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on a new Price Guide?

47 posts in this topic

well, if it's a search enginge that shows you the past year or whatever's sales of a book that fits what you're describing, fine, but to come up with an average based on those unanalyzed sales is silly. those "ebay NMs" that look like VGs and are sold by low/bad feedback sellers with high shipping are often going to sell for 5-10% of NM OPG, should that be factored into the average "market price"? you can look at 10 "sales" on ebay for a given book and only 1 or 2 of them are going to give you a sense of what a properly graded, well scanned book sold by a high feedback seller with a reasonable shipping policy is going to sell for (more or less) and even then relying on 7 day auction results can skew things either way (either in the direction of a silly bidding war or the right people not seeing the book in a given week). (mind you, in my "1 or 2" scenario i'm also tossing the high figures pumped up by shills and you probably need to discount sales from the jscomics, etc. of the world if you are a mere mortal comic seller).

i never did understand why people are so upset about OPG listing drek at cover price. it has been doing that forever and the comics weren't worth cover price then either. simply ignore those prices. it is clearly a "retail" guide in that respect and many comic shops do stick all their drek in the bins at cover price (where the vast bulk of it sits and gathers dust until it is sold at some store-wide half price (or more) sale) or gets dumped as a mixed lot on ebay or whatever.

granted, i do not know, but i'll assume GPA doesn't go nuts scrutinizing ebay slab sales, but OTOH, aside from a shilled up auction or a shady looking one, there's going to be less variation and unreliability when looking at slab sales. for one, you don't have an assumed overgrade factored into bidding and you don't have the jscomics of the world getting head scratching prices for a slab so often (they're commodities once they're in plastic so to speak).

Competion never hurts! Bring in some new blood,maybe that prices over 9.2. :wishluck:

Absolutely!!!

OS is a joke most of the time.

Shoot for the moon and you might get as high as a tree branch.

Multiple data sources -- also creating an API so people can submit their own verified transactions.

as pointed out after this post, simply running a spider to search the web for realized prices wont have the nuance to judge the merits of each sale price. I agree with teh concept, and the goal, being to commodotize each comics value down to a real-life market price based on all transactions. (like the stock market). but we are decades away from that kind of consolidation. Comics pricing is all over the map...and we all only can guesstimate what anything is worth or will sell for. There are ups and downs depending on the circumstances resulting in bargains and losses.

So if I understand your data gathering plans correctly, your data will have caveats just as OPG, GPA, and all the rest do. But maybe you will come closer? good luck. The proof is in the pudding as grandmama always says