• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House Fire -- but most of my comics and my art survived...

27 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about this Steve, but I'm glad that you, your wife, a good portion of your home and almost all of your pets were spared. The fact that most of your art and comics made it is the icing on the cake.

It also sounds like there was some great work from your local fire department.

Really sorry to hear about the fire :(

Never had to go through it myself but a friend's apartment once got completely torched ... I know that smell. Get new clothes!!

Keep us updated on the iguana! (thumbs u

Wow, thanks for all the kind thoughts and good karma everybody, it's much appreciated.

The fire was electrical and appears to have started in one of the iguana enclosures; the forensics and engineers who investigated said it looked like one of the housings for the heating elements failed somehow and overheated and started the fire. Not sure if the housing itself caught fire, or something else near it but that's their hypothesis. The problem with a fire is it destroys things rather than preserves them.

Oldguy, the firemen did a great job containing the fire. The fact that the room it was in had a closed door made a lot of difference too because it limited the oxygen the fire had to work with and resulted in lots of smoldering and heat but limited the actual fire. So, lesson learned: always keep the doors closed. They did have to knock holes in walls and ceilings to make sure the fire hadn't spread, but that's their job. And they had to bust out all the windows upstairs to let the smoke out so they could try to see what's going on once they get inside the house. Apparently the smoke was incredibly thick because lots of plastics and other things burned and smoldered. That's part of the problem with the damage. That sort of smell is way different than regular wood smoke.

The bottom line is that we'll be ok and stuff is just stuff. I wish we hadn't lost a pet, that's the hard part. But it could have been far worse and I'm glad it wasn't.