• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,865 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2024 at 2:19 PM, Mavrick76 said:

Title

Issue Numbers

All Picture Adventures

All Picture All True Love Story

1, 2

All Top Comics

All True All Picture Police Cases

Amazing Ghost Stories

14, 15, 16

Approved Comics

6, 9, 11, 12

Atomic Comics

3, 4

Authentic Police Cases

6-24, 27-29, 31, 33-35, 37, 38

Asia 

14, 16

Blue Ribbon

2, 4

Brides Romances

7, 23

Canteen Kate

1, 2, 3

Cinderella

nn

Cinderella Love

15, 25-29

Classic Comics

Congo el niño salvaje 

Crime Reporter

2, 3

Crown Comics

Diary Secrets

nn, 10-30

Exotic Romances

27, 31

Fighting Indian/ Midget

Fightin' Marines

1-10, 12, 14-16

First Kiss

Flyin' Jenny

Gallant 

Giant Comics Edition

5, 6, 11-13, 15

Girls In Love

Going Steady

10-14

Hawk

8-12

Heart Throbs

30, 46

Indians on the Warpath

nn

I Love You 

It Rhymes With Lust

nn

Jungle Drums 

JungleTown Comics

Jubilee 

Love Confessions

Love Letters

Love Romances

77-79, 82

Love Secrets

40, 56

Love Tales (1949 series)

Midget Comics (1950 series)

My Own Romance (1949 series)

60, 66, 67

Nightmare

Northwest Mounties

Phantom Lady

13-21

Pictorial Confessions

1, 3

Pictorial Love Stories

Pictorial Romances

5-24

Real Adventure Comics

Romance and Confession Stories

Romantic Marriage

23, 24

Romantic Secrets

Saint 

Secrets of True Love

Secrets of the Unknown

41, 105

Seven Seas

1-6

Sinister Tales

28, 181

Strange Suspense Stories

44, 45, 49

Sweetheart Diary 

Terrific Adventure

Teen Age Diary Secrets

Teen Age Romances

1-25, 31-45

Teen Age Temptations

1, 2, 4-9

The Hawk

8, 9, 10, 12

The Hawk 3-D

The Texan

4-9, 11-15

Triple Western Pictorial Monthly

True Crime Cases

nn

True Love Pictorial

2-11

Unusual Adventures

Unusual Comics

Vooda

Voodoo

Wartime Romances

1-18

Wedding Bells

15, 16

Wild Boy of the Congo

11-16

Whiz Comics

Young Brides 

Young Love

Zago

Zoot Comics

8, 14

It should be noted that Whiz Comics 126 is not a US Fawcett book, but a UK L. Miller & Son comic containing various Fawcett reprints with the reprinted Matt Baker cover from US St. John The Texan #5.

On 9/30/2024 at 5:43 PM, MBFan said:

It should be noted that Whiz Comics 126 is not a US Fawcett book, but a UK L. Miller & Son comic containing various Fawcett reprints with the reprinted Matt Baker cover from US St. John The Texan #5.

A wise boardie suggested that I create a registry for Matt Baker covers. I’m open to doing this, please be patient I’m slow 🐢  🐌 I don’t really use the registry but I believe there’s value for us all in creating a Matt Baker Cover section.  Let’s go!!!!

On 9/30/2024 at 4:56 PM, Mavrick76 said:

A wise boardie suggested that I create a registry for Matt Baker covers. I’m open to doing this, please be patient I’m slow 🐢  🐌 I don’t really use the registry but I believe there’s value for us all in creating a Matt Baker Cover section.  Let’s go!!!!

To be of any use to the community, the list must be accurate.

For example, Zoot Comics #14(a): At some point in the past, GCD likely copied an incorrect Overstreet Price Guide attribution (there have been many), giving Baker art credits for the cover and all stories inside. In 2013, all Baker attributions were correctly removed from the listing, with the notation, "Artist revision from Matt Baker to ? by Craig Delich 2013-4-21. Bill Black confirms art is not by Baker." This is backed up by Alberto Becattini and Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr.'s checklist in The Art of Glamour. 

Sometime since 2013, however, someone at GCD uncorrected the correction, and the listing now wrongly shows Baker credits for the cover and stories. Possibly, someone copied the incorrect attributions from an existing CGC label, which was itself based on Overstreeet or GCD errors in the past. 

For the sake of the collecting community, these errors must not be perpetuated. 

On 9/30/2024 at 3:30 PM, MBFan said:

To be of any use to the community, the list must be accurate.

For example, Zoot Comics #14(a): At some point in the past, GCD likely copied an incorrect Overstreet Price Guide attribution (there have been many), giving Baker art credits for the cover and all stories inside. In 2013, all Baker attributions were correctly removed from the listing, with the notation, "Artist revision from Matt Baker to ? by Craig Delich 2013-4-21. Bill Black confirms art is not by Baker." This is backed up by Alberto Becattini and Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr.'s checklist in The Art of Glamour. 

Sometime since 2013, however, someone at GCD uncorrected the correction, and the listing now wrongly shows Baker credits for the cover and stories. Possibly, someone copied the incorrect attributions from an existing CGC label, which was itself based on Overstreeet or GCD errors in the past. 

For the sake of the collecting community, these errors must not be perpetuated. 

so is zoot 8 a Baker either ?  looks sloppy 

On 9/30/2024 at 5:40 PM, Changer said:

so is zoot 8 a Baker either ?  looks sloppy 

It IS sloppy, and that's our clue that it IS NOT Baker. Even his earliest work showed more style. The Zoot art is awkward. It's an insult to Matt Baker to say that it's his work. 

According to the opinions of the recognized experts who worked on The Art of Glamour, with a few Phantom Lady exceptions, most Matt Baker attributions in Fox publications are incorrect.