• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another cover our *spoon*. CGC dosen't know anything return policy.

73 posts in this topic

I did not sell this book, whatever it is. But it's unfair and incorrect to imply I would not allow the return of a book that somebody found a tear seal on, especially if it was clear from the outset somebody wanted a book that's unrestored, and I would know that meant tear seals for some people, so I would see it coming if he found a tear seal. Where I do agree with the seller is in how they describe a dot of marking or glue. I can show any buyer numerous examples of books that have marks and glue and some of them have purple labels and some of them have blue labels. So, if the buyer knows it's on the book, then it's up to the buyer to know what he calls it and to bid or not bid accordingly. The eight feet of bondo would be a better analogy if the book in question had more than a tear seal, but even if you go with that analogy, it's a whole different question if the buyer knows it's there, then he knows it's there; period. Doesn't make any difference whether some mechanic calls it bondo or preservation or restoration.

You're still around? I would have bet you'd been banned after your Action Comics #1 scam...

Jim

Now I remember.. Why wasnt he banned ?

I did not sell this book, whatever it is. But it's unfair and incorrect to imply I would not allow the return of a book that somebody found a tear seal on, especially if it was clear from the outset somebody wanted a book that's unrestored, and I would know that meant tear seals for some people, so I would see it coming if he found a tear seal. Where I do agree with the seller is in how they describe a dot of marking or glue. I can show any buyer numerous examples of books that have marks and glue and some of them have purple labels and some of them have blue labels. So, if the buyer knows it's on the book, then it's up to the buyer to know what he calls it and to bid or not bid accordingly. The eight feet of bondo would be a better analogy if the book in question had more than a tear seal, but even if you go with that analogy, it's a whole different question if the buyer knows it's there, then he knows it's there; period. Doesn't make any difference whether some mechanic calls it bondo or preservation or restoration.

You're still around? I would have bet you'd been banned after your Action Comics #1 scam...

Jim

'Cause he didn't involve Dad&Son?

meh

I'll withhold the information for now in hopes that the seller does the right thing, but a little over three weeks ago I purchased a GA book from a seller on ebay. The seller has high feedback, and good feedback. I've also seen their listings many times.

Anyway, I submitted the book to CGC and it just completed the Resto check. It came back Restored SP.

I sent them an e-mail explaing that I would not be concerned about a variance in grade but in light of the restoration, I would like to negotiate a diffferent price or return the book for a refund. Of course, only once the book was in hand so I could send scans varifying that is indeed the same book.

This is the reply so far:

We offer a very liberal policy of return for any reason that you feel the book is not to your liking. The book must be returned within seven days, as stated in every one of our auctions. This policy avoids our being involved in the opinions of CGC which are as subjective as any. We are interested only in our buyer's opinion of the book when he receives it. CGC, for instance calls taping of a tear amateur restoration, while no one else does. With so much ink being found on comic books, how can anyone tell whether a dot of color is accidental or covering a white dot of color break on the book? Our policy precludes returning the book after such a long time, but we will speak to the owner regarding a possible partial refund if you don't like the book. We will get back to you with an answer.

Technically, they are right. A seven day return policy is a seven day return policy, but it sounds like it is in place limit the possibility of books being returned.

I offer a seven day return policy as well in my auctions, even on CGC books, but would certainly make exceptions concerning restoration and the fact that it often takes a professional to detect it.

FYI, I think it is a small piece reattached (tear seal).

Mike,

Hopefully you paid with a CC. I would immediately contact my CC company and put a stop on the payment. AMEX allows this even after you made the original payment. Once he has had the funds withdrawn or disputed he may be up for a partial refund.

Of course, this should be a last resort. See what they say first then take more drastic action.

If that doesn't work I can always ask my buddies Lino and Luca to talk to them.

Jim

'Cause he didn't involve Dad&Son?

meh

Let me reiterate the banning policy as I understand it.

If you make inference - emcompassing everything from a snide remark to an out-and-outdeclaration - about CGC's integrity (or the integrity of its advertisers/partners) as it relates to professional / criminal behaviour...you will get a ban.

If you bring the message boards into your own personal feud, whether through using the pm system to perpetrate fraud, or use the Forums to restrict your activities to the continued following and denigrating of one particular poster...you will get a ban.

If your actions result in an upheaval to the Forums such that all meaningful conversation is arrogated to discussion of you or the situation in which you find yourself...you will get a ban.

If you create a shill account...you will get a ban.

You will not get a ban for skirting the edges of ethical propriety in your business, whether that business is comic related or not. The Forum PTB take no interest in investigating claims against Forum members where said events do not affect the Forums to any significant degree.

Bluechip shilling his Action 1 auction and using verbal gymnastics in an attempt to create his own, singular version of what is and isn't restoration does not constitute a bannable offense in the eyes of the Forum PTB

Bluechip shilling his Action 1 auction and using verbal gymnastics in an attempt to create his own, singular version of what is and isn't restoration does not constitute a bannable offense in the eyes of the Forum PTB

I find it slightly sad that you'll get a strike for making fun of one of our hosts' 'partners', but you get away scott-free for bringing the whole collecting community into disrepute.

But that's just me...

If your actions result in an upheaval to the Forums such that all meaningful conversation is arrogated to discussion of you or the situation in which you find yourself...you will get a ban.

Sal's diatribes sending me to dictionary.com :cloud9:

I find it slightly sad that you'll get a strike for making fun of one of our hosts' 'partners', but you get away scott-free for bringing the whole collecting community into disrepute.

But that's just me...

Well, I for one don't particularly like it, but I understand the position they're in.

And I'd suggest that "making fun" is in the eyes of the beholder, especially when concerning an online Forum. Degrees of interpretation tend to normalise towards the negative

Let me reiterate the banning policy as I understand it.

If you make inference - emcompassing everything from a snide remark to an out-and-outdeclaration - about CGC's integrity (or the integrity of its advertisers/partners) as it relates to professional / criminal behaviour...you will get a ban.

Not so. It has always been open season on Matt Nelson and I believe he is an advertiser. I believe the advertiser in question would actually have to complain to the CGC gods for moderator wrath to be levied from the skies above.

I simply do not understand the seller here - the book was not what was represented. You state the book is unrestored, and it comes back with a purple lable even if you don't agree you have to either 1) take it back or 2) give some sort of price break. I've done that here on the boards, and it is just good business sense.

I simply do not understand the seller here - the book was not what was represented. You state the book is unrestored, and it comes back with a purple lable even if you don't agree you have to either 1) take it back or 2) give some sort of price break. I've done that here on the boards, and it is just good business sense.

preaching to the choir brother,...

preaching to the choir!

(worship)

What percentage of people out there have good business sense (shrug)

You don't have to go as far as out there to ask that question. Sometimes it can be applied in our own sales forum.

Call for the grader's notes.

A tear seal is restoration - it is not the opinion of CGC, it is a fact. Tactfully advise the seller that the product significantly differs from what was paid for. It sounds like they would be willing to negotiate price, which is what you'd like, right?

Also, the statement about not being able to tell if a dot of color is color touch or just accidental ink spray (I think that's what they're implying), is a pretty disingenuous statement from a well established dealer. (tsk)

Exactly, MC mentioned it was pegged as SP, so that means there is no debate, or dealer interpetation. It was restored.

And regarding their 7 day return policy so they can avoid discrepencies with CGC's opinion? :screwy: Unless a buyer subs a book using walkthrough, that policy(or the reasoning behind it) holds little water.

It sounds like this will come down to two things. The dealers willingness to work with you on a refund even though you did not work around their return policy beforehand, and the dealer to recongnize they misssed a tear seal(grader notes would help here) and make up for their mistake.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Or even common sense? :P

I personally , would ALWAYS make it right for the buyer and my reputation , unless I really thought they we're some scam artist . These things don't happen that often (or shouldn't) so it's usually best , and easiest to take the high road !..................BH

Of course , not if I'm dealing with the likes of , ...er , .... Divad , ...Watson , Cloudtwit , 1970(Roy) , Sean , ....etc...............

F U and your high road Hooks. Like you have a comic I would be interested in. :roflmao:

Is that light weight stumbled out of bed hung over yet?

HUH, BH? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!????

I personally , would ALWAYS make it right for the buyer and my reputation , unless I really thought they we're some scam artist . These things don't happen that often (or shouldn't) so it's usually best , and easiest to take the high road !..................BH

Of course , not if I'm dealing with the likes of , ...er , .... Divad , ...Watson , Cloudtwit , 1970(Roy) , Sean , ....etc...............

F U and your high road Hooks. Like you have a comic I would be interested in. :roflmao:

That's Funny ! , ......Stumbled out not too long ago !. :banana:

..................... I see I bought a bunch of books , ... mehmeh......and , ...er , ...pestered a bunch of people !............ :/:/...........

That's Funny ! , ......Stumbled out not too long ago !. :banana:

..................... I see I bought a bunch of books , ... mehmeh......and , ...er , ...pestered a bunch of people !............ :/:/...........

BTW , would you PLEASE STOP screaming !..........That bold fon't is hurting my head . ......................................bro -zeer ............

You don't have to go as far as out there to ask that question. Sometimes it can be applied in our own sales forum.

Sad, but true.