• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does everyone see in Adam Hughes

56 posts in this topic

(shrug)

Just wondering... I'm not knocking him or his art, it's just that people seem to pay extremely healthy prices for his art and I hear of him like he's a modern god. I just want to know why? I see his art and say to myself... that's nice, but not OMG :o that's amazing. Maybe it's just me? I don't know.

I don't know if I can name someone who draws a hotter chick. And last time I checked most comic fans are guys who love to drool over things.

Thus what is the best possible thing to hang on a comic fan's wall?

Adam's art is smart, funny and extremely well done (you have to see his inks in person to believe them). He is a master of perspective and anatomy (though he does "embellish" certain parts of the female form) - two things that are often ignored by artists looking to cut corners. And to top it off, he's one helluva nice guy.

But some people just don't "get" certain artists.

Unfortunately, quite a few people do "get" Adam's work - hence the prices.

If you are refering to the sketch I posted for sale, my intention is that I really don't want to sell it unless someone offers something I just couldn't refuse. Most likely it will go back to the NFS situation shortly...

I don't know if I can name someone who draws a hotter chick.

This is all personal taste of course, but I prefer females illustrated by the following artists over Hughes' stuff:

Dave Stevens

Brian Bolland

Al Williamson

Frank Frazetta

Bruce Timm

John Romita Sr

Milo Manara

Again, this is all a matter of personal preference so all you Hughes fans please be nice :grin:

This is all personal taste of course, but I prefer females illustrated by the following artists over Hughes' stuff:

Dave Stevens

Brian Bolland

Al Williamson

Frank Frazetta

Bruce Timm

John Romita Sr

Milo Manara

Again, this is all a matter of personal preference so all you Hughes fans please be nice :grin:

Weird thing is....for a comparable piece in size, medium, and visibility most of the guys on that list will cost you as much if not more than a Hughes (most of them would cost you more).

It's a great list.....but you forgot Serpieri

C

If you are refering to the sketch I posted for sale, my intention is that I really don't want to sell it unless someone offers something I just couldn't refuse. Most likely it will go back to the NFS situation shortly...
It's not all about your piece ... I was browsing ebay and comicartfans over the couple of months and usually see a krapload of comments. I actually like your piece alot, hope you didnt get offended by my post

Did my post in Comics General inspire you to start this thread? Like I said over there, I know what hot women look like, and AH does not draw them. There is some kind of mass delusion going on in the comic book/art world. :screwy:

Dave Stevens

Brian Bolland

Al Williamson

Frank Frazetta

Bruce Timm

John Romita Sr

Milo Manara

I've got an Elvgren, Vargas and Boris all hanging in my bedroom with some Enric and Jose Gonzalez on the walls for good measure. I *know* what beautifully illustrated hot women look like! You look at an Elvgren and wish that girl could jump out of the painting. You look at a nice Dave Stevens pin-up or a Frazetta nude and - bam! - it hits you right away. You gotta love Romita Sr.'s clean lines when he drew Mary Jane or Gwen, or the playful charm of one of Wally Wood's females.

But Adam Hughes? I'm not saying AH sucks, but I don't understand all the (worship) over him. I mean, I haven't seen a really hot woman drawn by Hughes since Legends of the Freakin' Stargrazers. His stuff just leaves me totally cold. Where's the charm? Where's the beauty? Where's the vivacity? (shrug) I mean, maybe if I was still 13 years old I'd appreciate some of the superificialities of it all, but since I'm not... :o

"Oh no he didn't just say that!" Oh yes, I just did! :sumo:

Did my post in Comics General inspire you to start this thread? Like I said over there, I know what hot women look like, and AH does not draw them. There is some kind of mass delusion going on in the comic book/art world. :screwy:

It's nothing a trip to your eye doctor won't fix. :baiting:

If I want to see hot women in the real world I will read Maxim, or watch Skinamax, or pick up any of a hundred magazines with photos in them....

If I want to see an artist's stylized rendering of what he see's in his mind's eye as a gorgeous woman I will pick up any of a hundred works by Frazetta, Stevens, Hughes and a bunch of others....

Then again this thread is useless without pics....

BlackCatFinal.JPG

I see what you mean now...she's not hot at all... :screwy:

C

I've got an Elvgren, Vargas and Boris all hanging in my bedroom with some Enric and Jose Gonzalez on the walls for good measure. I *know* what beautifully illustrated hot women look like! SNIP>>>

I understand your love of these artists but I think you are making a comparison that is not fair to any of the artists involved in the comparison.

To be fair....aren't the artist you are referring to and the pieces you are referencing ALL oil paintings or paintings of some kind. Something that no artist working in simple pencil and ink can match.

A painting has infinitely more layers of style, shade and emotion than a simple comic cover done in pen and ink. As well, I think you might be comparing $50,000 apples with $5000 oranges. If AH Catwoman covers were selling for even a small percentage of Elvgren or Vargas I might understand the comparison a little more. But there is a reason they are worth what they are, they are each an Icon of their time.

It doesn't make sense to me to say one artist's women are ugly because they are rendered differently from some other artist from the past who is revered as a God in the field. Are Vargas' or Elvgren's women any less gorgeous if someone would choose to line them up next to Titian, Boucher or Raphael. No. The work stands up on its own.

But then again...you have 2 Horn's and 5 Land's over there in that CAF...so I might have to go back to the eye doctor recommendation.

:jokealert:

C

I think one of the reasons people aren't awed by Adam as much as they used to is because he's sooooooo copied. There are probably a dozen current artists who try to draw like him in one way or another.

I think one of the reasons people aren't awed by Adam as much as they used to is because he's sooooooo copied. There are probably a dozen current artists who try to draw like him in one way or another.

I just don't know how to say it any other way but I find his Hughes' illos to be over-inflated blow-up dolls wheras the others artists I've listed draw gorgeous women. I wish I could articulate it better, and perhaps someone on this board may be able to do so.

Not a knock on Hughes, but just my attempt to cite differences in his artwork vs other artists's skills at drawing women.

And Chris, I totally get both posts regarding cost, but I am not focusing on that issue with regard to this topic.

The Gonzalez pieces are not paintings... (shrug)

I also mentioned Frazetta, Stevens, Wood and Romita Sr. who all did substantial pen & ink work. (shrug)

I'm not judging the women on photo-realism, but even in their stylized comic book/pin-up form, these artists' women have a beauty, charm and vitality that is absent from most of AH's work.

I've fallen a bit out of love with Land due to all the reports of excessive photo-referencing. However, I will state uncategorically that he draws FABULOUS women - that Sojourn #1 splash is a prime example of that. Beautiful and inviting - like the kind of girl you'd love to take home to mom (if you were living in a medieval fantasy realm!) That Black Cat you posted just doesn't do a thing for me (and that's arguably one of his better pieces). Actually, I find the background more interesting than the subject. zzz

On the other hand, at least we agree on Brian Bolland. ;):foryou::baiting:

I just don't know how to say it any other way but I find his Hughes' illos to be over-inflated blow-up dolls wheras the others artists I've listed draw gorgeous women. I wish I could articulate it better, and perhaps someone on this board may be able to do so.

I think that just about says it all. :applause:

I've fallen a bit out of love with Land due to all the reports of excessive photo-referencing. However, I will state uncategorically that he draws FABULOUS women - that Sojourn #1 splash is a prime example of that.

I liked her better on the cover to Sports Illustrated, or Maxim, or FHM, or Playboy, or whereever it was lifted from....I would agree his women are pretty...if photocopied, but his interiors always seem stiff to me as if he can't translate the action beyond the static pose he is referencing from.

Not a knock on you, but I have no respect for the outright swiper/stolen image society. I can't even consider their artwork as, well, artwork when I see where the images came from....it's more akin to graphic design.

On the other hand, at least we agree on Brian Bolland. ;):foryou::baiting:

He good...

C