• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug's Overstreet Market Report.

46 posts in this topic

It actually raises an interesting question. When dealers submit market reports to a comics magazine or website, do those market reports become solely owned by the magazine or owner of the website?

They're owned by the author unless the author explicitly gives or sells away his rights

i am quite sure everyone here would buy the guide EVEN if we all read ALL the market reports. Doesn't metropolis post its reports each month online, even if they are printed in a gemstone magazine? I hope this doesn't get doug into any [!@#%^&^] because he is a great guy & one of the best graders out there. I still am not going to talk about it (especially since i didn't bring it up smirk.gif ) without doug saying its ok.....

Doesn't metropolis post its reports each month online, even if they are printed in a gemstone magazine?

Yes. However, Doug's reports blow Metro's away (big time).

What's the publication we're discussing here anyway?? Ninanina said the report was emailed to him, so at this point there's no need for anyone to get in a tizzy about everyone else not paying for some publication, when we don't even know what that publication is (although i suspect it's the CBM, which I have a subscription to, but unfortunately it doesn't come out on anything resembling a regular schedule anymore, so who knows when the heck the thing's coming out...and/or if it's going to be cancelled...and/or when it's going to be worth buying anymore...I don't collect statues or old newspaper strips...etc.,.)!!

Nice to see everybody asking to see this material for free rather than doing something crazy like actually purchasing a copy of the publication in which it appears smile.gif.

Arnold

i'd start buying the OS update's again if it had the market report like they did back in their heyday 89-92 confused-smiley-013.gif.

doug consistantly writes the best market reports, and while he may be based in a unique market in canada, he deals with the whole world as customers. I believe he knows more about what people are looking for than most dealers out there because he deals in it ALL. And it is the 2004 OS price guide update in question.

doug consistantly writes the best market reports, and while he may be based in a unique market in canada, he deals with the whole world as customers. I believe he knows more about what people are looking for than most dealers out there because he deals in it ALL. And it is the 2004 OS price guide update in question.

I agree with Doug's reports.

Are you talking about "Overstreet's Comic Price Review (Vol. 1, No. 3)", or next year's OS price guide (issue 34) that will be available in April/May?

I also noticed that "Due to unforeseen circumstances, the publication of Comic Book Marketplace has been temporarily suspended." Is this true? What about the rest of my subscription $? Are they going to inform the subscribers?

Well I thought some of you may be interested in what's hot with some of the publications like Marvel, DC, Gold Key. I am sorry I am unable to email the market report to anyone. It's true that Doug owns the rights to it but, if the market report became common knowledge, there is a danger Overstreet won't publish it in next years guide. And, when Overstreet does publish it, it becomes their property.

The report for the most part is positive. It seems that as well as the back-issue market grew last year, it shows no sign of slowing down at all but actually growing. Many of the numbers of specific issues that were hot last year, have expanded. Collectors are after more common issues to complete runs and not only keys. Especially in unslabbed comics. Had a real positive write up on DC and Marvel.

Thanks for everyone who asked for a copy, but I deleted the email right after I printed it and I'm so sorry I couldn't accomodate you.

If anyone wants specific information to see if any specific comics are mentioned, I would be happy to oblige. Just either send me a PM or ask away on the thread. Gotta watch NYPD Blue later grin.gif, but I'll be back to see if there's anything I can tell you.

hear hear! I always love his report, it was great to read it early! I won't talk either, but it backs up my point about the strength of comics READERS out there, not investors. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I though I was the only one getting an early read on this. mad.gifgrin.gif

But Winnipeg is a unique market. Dougie has a warehouse full of comics there from his distribution business. Lots of sources for cheap comics due to all the bankrupt comicshops from years past & overtaxed long time collectors from the 60s. The snow is so deep, there is not much else to do except stay warm & cosy up to a good book. juggle.gif

Although Doug has a reputation for having that "strange" comic you can't find anywhere else, he is having trouble stocking VF and up Silver/Bronze Age stuff. But, he isn't agressively going after it either. He occasionally comes across a nice collection, but then buys only what he needs. I am told although the expensive stuff does sell, quite often it may take awhile to move it. So, he doesn't over-stock. I think he has a real gift on what to buy and when to buy it. (Which is half the battle) He does shy away from the expensive comics. He loves selling comics in the $10.00 - $30.00 range or thereabouts.

Yeah...PM me too (or post it here). Doug buys a lot of his books from Dolgoff...or so I hear? confused-smiley-013.gif

He recently bought a huge run of early Archie and Harvey comics. Although I'm told he a high percentage of quide for it, he has no trouble making it up in his sell price. If anyone has odd-ball stuff for sale, he's the guy to see. (That is if you don't want the hassle of e-bay.)

Nice to see everybody asking to see this material for free rather than doing something crazy like actually purchasing a copy of the publication in which it appears smile.gif.

Arnold

Naw, they just want to able to read it while it means something. The Overstreet market report is based on last year's information. Being able to read it now is cool. smile.gif

Yes, Napstar comes to mind

It actually raises an interesting question. When dealers submit market reports to a comics magazine or website, do those market reports become solely owned by the magazine or owner of the website?

I've never heard of a magazine paying dealers for market reports, or in Overstreet's case, paying for the valuable sales data that they base each year's price guide on. The dealers benefit from the exposure and added credibility their store/catalog/website receives when those market report are published, or when they're listed as an Overstreet Advisor.

If dealers do retain ownership of their market reports, I would think they'd be more than happy to have them published anywhere, anytime, including on these boards. It's just free advertising.

The reports and all the work that go into them are eventually owned by Overstreet. It would be unfortuneate for the report not to be published simply because it became common knowledge. I am sure the dealers get the advertising having the report published in Overstreet. A lot more, than what they would get having it published on the forum. It's a great forum, but it pales compared to the masses that would read the report in Overstreet.

i am quite sure everyone here would buy the guide EVEN if we all read ALL the market reports. Doesn't metropolis post its reports each month online, even if they are printed in a gemstone magazine? I hope this doesn't get doug into any [!@#%^&^] because he is a great guy & one of the best graders out there. I still am not going to talk about it (especially since i didn't bring it up smirk.gif ) without doug saying its ok.....

I asked Doug what the rules were talking about the report on the forum. He asked me not to email it to anyone, and I can get into specifics with only 10% of the information.