• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Perfect Grade
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2008 at 12:06 AM, Guest said:

No, I'm not talking about a CGC 10 here. It took me a long time to realize this since I've chased a lot of high grade books but after owning more than a few 9.8's with terrible visual eye appeal due to allowable production defects, I started looking hard at my 9.0 - 9.6 books. I had never caught it before, but I really couldn't find more than one visual defect on many of my 9.4's. I have posted one example below (From Sids) and this book just blows away some of my 9.8's. I'm sure the graders notes will explain the hidden defects but when it comes to the slab, this cover is nearly perfect and we all know the difference in price between a 9.4 and a 9.8. I know I'm late to the party on this but I have picked up many 9.8's that were what I considered strong 9.8's and was very pleased with a news stand fresh SA book. Recently, I have been doing some trading, (three so far) in which I have downgraded my copy by one grade to a (in my opinion) superior copy that was eithor centered better or had better PQ or less chipping. I have taken a beating on them financially but am happier overall. My vote for the perfect grade is 9.4. Of course every grade has their beasts, but there are some truly outstanding 9.4 examples out there that you would never turn away raw.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/Grails/WW145.jpg

^^