• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Perfect Grade
1 1

22 posts in this topic

No, I'm not talking about a CGC 10 here. It took me a long time to realize this since I've chased a lot of high grade books but after owning more than a few 9.8's with terrible visual eye appeal due to allowable production defects, I started looking hard at my 9.0 - 9.6 books. I had never caught it before, but I really couldn't find more than one visual defect on many of my 9.4's. I have posted one example below (From Sids) and this book just blows away some of my 9.8's. I'm sure the graders notes will explain the hidden defects but when it comes to the slab, this cover is nearly perfect and we all know the difference in price between a 9.4 and a 9.8. I know I'm late to the party on this but I have picked up many 9.8's that were what I considered strong 9.8's and was very pleased with a news stand fresh SA book. Recently, I have been doing some trading, (three so far) in which I have downgraded my copy by one grade to a (in my opinion) superior copy that was eithor centered better or had better PQ or less chipping. I have taken a beating on them financially but am happier overall. My vote for the perfect grade is 9.4. Of course every grade has their beasts, but there are some truly outstanding 9.4 examples out there that you would never turn away raw.

WW145.jpg

Charles, I find that there is a sweet spot in the hi range, mid range and low range.

For the hi range it is the 9.2/9.4 area. Mid range is 7.5 and 4.5/5.0 for the low range. These areas seem to be the most bang for the buck. Some people may argue and say that 9.0 is sweeter than 9.4 but I don't think you get the eye candy out of a 9.0 like you do a 9.4 *most of the time*.

R.

Interesting post there, Grails.

Let me just add, as a modern collector, a 9.4 modern book is definately not comparable to a 9.4 silver age book. That being said, the book you posted looks very pristine indeed!

For me the perfect grade can only be known once you have the book in your hands for yourself.

Interesting post there, Grails.

Let me just add, as a modern collector, a 9.4 modern book is definately not comparable to a 9.4 silver age book. That being said, the book you posted looks very pristine indeed!

For me the perfect grade can only be known once you have the book in your hands for yourself.

Words to live by in our hobby. Well said.

Got to be 9.2 every time. The differences between the 9.4 and 9.2 are negligable, and are often not apparent unless the books is given the most intense scutiny.

However, what gives the 9.2 the huge kick is the pricing. On Silver Age, my main collecting focus, the prices simply drop away on so many books when coming down from 9.4 to 9.2. You can't tell the difference without a microscope...but you certainly can in your wallet. :cloud9:

WW145.jpg

Great looking book! I never knew WW had a surfboard.

For eye appeal I can't imagine you could improve on that.

For me of course the 'perfect grade' is the one I can afford! In the case of some of my grail items this mean 0.5 or less, but I love 'em all the same :grin:

Got to be 9.2 every time. The differences between the 9.4 and 9.2 are negligable, and are often not apparent unless the books is given the most intense scutiny.

However, what gives the 9.2 the huge kick is the pricing. On Silver Age, my main collecting focus, the prices simply drop away on so many books when coming down from 9.4 to 9.2. You can't tell the difference without a microscope...but you certainly can in your wallet. :cloud9:

Nick, for early SA I think this extremely correct, and for later SA I find it does blur.

But more in the sense where all the grades 9.2,9.4,9.6 have examples that on any given day could sit in each others' holders.

My most stunning book I own, and cannot fathom how the spine is so sublime, is my DS #182 PC copy. It was obviously a completely unread PC copy. Far outstripping many of my 9.8's.

Though saying this, I know the criteria CGC looks for to garner the 9.8 mantle.

The 9.2 rule does make huge financial sense, recently I picked up one of the TTA#40 9.2 WM copies for $1,150, and the PC 9.4 copy offered at the same time for approx $4,500.

The difference in grade, apperance, and price just did't remotely add up.

Though the ped notation, W pages was also a big draw card. It's fair say, those factors make 9.2's very attractive (thumbs u

Edited by brasseye

Hold the book in your hand. If you love it. If it makes you feel good just to hold it. If you marvel at the colors, the art, the writing and the history behind it than its perfectly graded.

I think I understand exactly what you mean, Grails.

As alot of guys here say. Buy the book not the label. The 9.8 vs. 9.4 battle is easy, the number doesnt matter. If the book presents well, has bright vivid colors, perfectly centered, and sharp corners. That is the winner. I have seen books in 9.8 that dont present worth a damn, but are flawless nonetheless. I have also seen 9.4's that may have minimal defects, that are perfectly centered, extremely bright, and flat with sharp corners.

I buy what I can afford, whether it is as stated the 4.5/5.0, 7.0/7.5,9.4/9.8. I will upgrade books, but ONLY if it is a better looking copy. An example would be Werewolf By Night 32 for me. I had 2 copies one 6.5 one 7.5 , I sold the 7.5 in WWPA. The 6.5 has some spine tics other minimal issues but still presents well, the 7.5 was fading and had ONE spine tic. When I compared the 6.5 was so bright and better looking, so the 7.5 got graded and priced.

I would say you learned an important lesson for collectors here. Everyone wants to upgrade, but the book has to be better all around. Just because the label says it has less errors from handling doesnt mean the printing was so kind. And stop trading 9.8's for 9.4's , put them on Auction. Let someone else pay what you did.

Another 9.4 White that looks better than the grade. An ever so slight bump at the lower left corner is the ONLY thing that is wrong with this book in my opinion.

This is an old label 9.4 that might deserve the re-sub treatment. If all 9.4's looked like this, I would collect 9.2's and be perfectly happy.

CaptainAmerica110New.jpg

Case in point....this one was graded as a 9.6 White, but it is the don rosa copy, so probably received a little more praise for that reason than it should have.

Note the upper right corner, the lower left corner about a 1/4" up on the spine, and the stress at the bottom of the top staple, and the stress at Superman's right elbow. How is this a 9.6 and the previous Cap 110 a 9.4?

As you guys can recall, all of the Rosa books, when sold on ebay, had small scans and were not that easy to see. A clear example of buy the book, not the label........guilty as charged on that one.

Action399New.jpg

Edited by Wrightson fan

I can't tell the difference between this book and any of the few 9.8 comics that I own. Indeed, it was graded NM/M by the dealer who first sold the Pacific Coast collection, and nearly all of the issues he graded this high garnered 9.8 and 9.6 slabs.

JIM115.jpg

I'm a big fan of the "very high grade but has one defect" type book. Like anything it has to be priced right but it brings into play PLOD with a dot of color or a book with a back cover stain or even a book with a married page.

Anyway, here's the one I like the most. A Detroit Trolley 7.5 with a one inch tear at the right edge. Everything else about it is nearly perfect and I can imagine worse issues in grade.

flash13.jpg