• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever find original comic art at a Yard Sale?

29 posts in this topic

Wasn't there also a "Ditk-A" Spiderman page posted awhile ago on ebay that the seller claimed to have discovered at a garage sale? :roflmao:

Obviously that turned out to be a fake.

I thought the story in the auction was that it had been owned by the guy's dad or something like that. But yes, it was not a real "Ditka" lol

Not sure what the full story was, but I can't help but wonder if that page was one of the pages Marvel had "redrawn" for the Marvel Masterworks books. There's an artist by the name of Michael Kelleher who was commissioned by Marvel to redraw entire stories that were then recolored and that's what was published in the Masterworks books.

There gallery where some of this art is being sold is here: Link to Hyena Gallery

At one point there was almost entire issue of (I think) ASM 29 which the guy had redrawn. So maybe the "Ditka" page was actually a Kelleher page that somebody doctored to try to pawn off as an original with the "found at a garage sale" or "found in my dad's/grampa's/neighbor's attic" type of story.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more scammers try to have art redrawn.

hm

My boss who owns the eBay stores e-store_auctions and discojohn goes to flea markets about twice a week to do his buying so we and the other lackeys can put stuff on to sell. One stormy morning he brings in the first page splash to gil kane's marvel super-heroes giant size #1 (which features a classic spider-man swinging over the city) as well as 105 stats for mutt and jeff by dc comics in the 50's (not a big whoop) and a cover by Phil De Lara to Uncle Scrooge 117. It instantly made me drop my mouth and what dropped next was the price he paid for it. After a lot of his "hyping it up" and comparing it to the prices of Romita SA spidey covers, i did manage to get it for a "fair" price, just under market value. I just wish he saved the spider-man original art he found for 1k a few years ago from a young widow - flipping to a well-known dealer for more which included the first page splash to ASM 252, cover to mcfarlane's spidey 298 or 299, a kirby TOS cover (cant remember which) and many others...doesnt that rattle your brain?

the art by Michael Kelleher I believe is a huge problem and Marvel of course is the main cause of the problem.

You can have no doubt that Unscrupulous sellers will indeed try to forge a falseness to some of that material and sell it as works by the original artists.

Also, less knowledgable people who happen to have some & don't know about Michael Kelleher will add to the problem.

This material should never have been created in the first place, but both Michael Kelleher and Marvel have a responsibility to make sure that any of that material is properly identified in very obvious ways so that innocent collectors do get cheated and that over the years (decades even) that this material is very obvious for what it is.

Why Marvel and DC feel it is neccessary to duplicate material for reprinting is beyond me, especially in light of hi-res scanning equipment and for instance, I have an image archive ( www.graffixmultimedia.com ) through which I sell - to publishers - images of vintage material. I have spoken to Paul Levitz about my archive as I have for instance all of the covers & Superman stories from Action #2-70 which I scanned directly from the comics and have available in high resolution and it is cheaper to buy them from me than it is to have it redrawn and to be honest, when I read masterworks.. aren't I supposed to be enjoying Kirby's or Ditko's art? What you see IS NOT their art.

as far as I'm concerned.. all the Michael Kelleher pages are are the same as fans who reproduce the art for themselves.