• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any price consensus at all on the 'Monster-PLODS'

33 posts in this topic

Well paratrooper: threads on great books like AF 15, early ASM's (and DD what is that, explain?) can surely not be an offense to the board rules. Would you to care explain your concern further?

The theme of this thread is higly relevant and it is prooved by the many members taking part.

Exactly where do you see the problem?

What is it that is wrong in your opinion?

To which CGC-rule do you refer when you worry.

I don't like restoration either and generally won't pay for it, but everything has a price especially for monster keys.

Another aspect on monster keys is that they are so much more rare in unrestored condition. Superman #1 is the classic example. Every issue out there that commonly sells back and forth is a restored copy. And this is a relatively common GA key. So no wonder an unrestored goes for 10-20x a restored.

And the metaphor of restoration on other practical items really is rather weak. And the analogy with cars is also not applicable. I can go in the other direction and compare restoration on baseball cards or coins and compare fractions on pricing. I'm sure a trimmed comic will get a much higher percentage compared to a trimmed baseball card or a shaved coin. Even in these related fields the metaphor fails since there are different allures to each collectible.

And stop with the "purist" statements already please. If there is one aspect of this hobby I would change among the good people, that would be it. I think we've all gotten over the Marvel v DC, GA v SA v BA v Modern collectors. And the CGC/graded comics naysayers simply don't show up here. But can we get past the "I collect and read comics which is WAY better than simply buying a piece of cold hard plastic" or the "How is a small dot of ink cause a book to be worth 90% less, PEOPLE C'MON!!!"

Folks, the market has spoken. If you're smarter than the market, keep on buying (or selling).

End of Rant

Hmm ... I thought I told you NOT to flash me and my workshop here on the boards. Now I'll have all kinds of stuck and blocked people running around wanting me to give them access to this and access to that. My peace and quiet outside is so important to me, - and so I dont want me picture flying around here inside this frenzy collector-matrix.

Perhaps more fixed prices would come about if these PLODS were not holdered in a *pink* suit. I mean how many of us would want a pink car? Heck we want a blue car (or black or metallic). Not a girlish pink one (we buy that one for the little misses for sure). All this talkin about colout touch as eyeliner gives me the creeps. Is CGC overall implying that comic lovers that fancy PLODS are girlish? even worse: castrated? This should be compared to the male, boyish feel that ties to the blue-chip universal grade books. Most comic lovers today are (still) male. We dont need pink holders for our monster expensive high grade books. Is that some kind of punishment from CGC: like 'if you cannot afford an unrestored book then you must go dress up in pink'. I mean I cant afford 40K on an ASM #1 CGC 9.0. But does that mean that buying this book with a little resto is thereby forced to carry a completely misplaced pink colour on it. When CGC chooses an atypical and misplaced colour like pink they know that most comiclovers feel that this colour stinks. We want blue, green, black, whatever. NOT pink! I mean its hard not to see this kind of pink-resto-design as a kind of doom you have to carry as a PLOD-owner. But thats also what they call it, isnt it: 'purple label of DOOM'

Question:

The signal that CGC sends with this pink-designer holder, - is it OK ?

Doesnt we deserve better? Us lowly comic collectors ...

Perhaps more fixed prices would come about if these PLODS were not holdered in a *pink* suit. I mean how many of us would want a pink car? Heck we want a blue car (or black or metallic). Not a girlish pink one (we buy that one for the little misses for sure). All this talkin about colout touch as eyeliner gives me the creeps. Is CGC overall implying that comic lovers that fancy PLODS are girlish? even worse: castrated? This should be compared to the male, boyish feel that ties to the blue-chip universal grade books. Most comic lovers today are (still) male. We dont need pink holders for our monster expensive high grade books. Is that some kind of punishment from CGC: like 'if you cannot afford an unrestored book then you must go dress up in pink'. I mean I cant afford 40K on an ASM #1 CGC 9.0. But does that mean that buying this book with a little resto is thereby forced to carry a completely misplaced pink colour on it. When CGC chooses an atypical and misplaced colour like pink they know that most comiclovers feel that this colour stinks. We want blue, green, black, whatever. NOT pink! I mean its hard not to see this kind of pink-resto-design as a kind of doom you have to carry as a PLOD-owner. But thats also what they call it, isnt it: 'purple label of DOOM'

Question:

The signal that CGC sends with this pink-designer holder, - is it OK ?

Doesnt we deserve better? Us lowly comic collectors ...

First of all, it's not PINK, it's purple, lol..2nd of all...No, I'm not going to ask...;)