• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which artist is just too damn pricey?

45 posts in this topic

P.S. Who's Sam Keith? (shrug)

Very surprised that you aren't familiar with his stuff. Very much "up your alley" from the "exposure" I've had to your tastes over the years. Not saying you'd buy any of his stuff but, artistically, something you'd probably appreciate.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say he's a more "polished" Bisley. Grotesque-gritiness. Would like to call it a "refined-rawness", but probably a little too detailed for "raw". Very non-traditional. Proportion be damned; it works though. Very talented.

Thanks. I'm genuinely not familiar with a lot of 'moderns' (haven't bought any comic-books in years!), so any background info is appreciated. (thumbs u

He's a very interesting artist. Some of his work in the Maxx actually reminded me of some of Frazetta's pen and ink work for book illustrations.

I did a search of CAF and came up with some examples of the artist's work.

Yep, can see why he'll be in demand for a lot of folks here.

He certainly puts a lot of effort into his more detailed pieces!

Interesting stuff . . .

This is an older post but I've been away for awhile. Darn OA keeps pulling me back.

I agree that Kieth artwork is expensive but there's very little artwork available. If he doesn't sell much (any) of his artwork, then the few available pieces would naturally go for more.

However, WANTED originals seem to be reasonably priced. Is that because JG Jones seems to bring all of his originals to market? I think his work is distinctive and he's really talented but he is certainly more affordable than Sam Kieth. Would Jones have been better served to offer fewer pages in a public forum (like fanfare) and at a higher price?

How much of the Kieth price tag is related to talent and how much is rarity?

I normally wouldn't say anyone is over priced and it's probably not all of his work but some of Joe Quesada's stuff just sits and sits...

Being a Valiant fan, I would love to own the OA to Ninjak #1.