• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code to stop photo theft in auction.

27 posts in this topic

OldGuy, it might also be a good idea to corral a good effects filter like Eye Candy to do some of the more fancy stuff.

I'll see what I can do, but being that I'm at work I'll need to go through the purchasing run around (assuming it costs $) so it'll be a while before that happens.

If there are enough people who would be interested, reply to this thread, and I'll post a tutorial in the next day or so.

hi.gif

BTW, I know my way around a computer (I'm a systems admin), but I'm totally ignorant in the ways of Photoshop. My photo editing skills are limited to what I can do in Paint. grin.gif

Unfortunately, this kind of javascript can screw up many other plug-ins to the browser similar to esnipe. Since there are at least a dozen ways to circumvent the code, most of which require no knowledge of HTML or coding, my recommendation is to not use it...you're gonna tick off a number of legitimate customers roughly equivalent to the number of thieves who want to steal your content. Even a simple copy and paste will work to circumvent it...go to the browser's "Edit" menu, click "Select All", then go back to "Edit," click "Copy," and then go to a word processor and "Paste" all the content. Everything from the page will be pasted, including the pictures.

The web was created as an inherently easy and open way to share information freely, and there's very little way to prevent it from being stolen due to the way it was designed to be used.

Boy I didn't want to start the debate of the day here, I was just trying to help anyone out who would like to try and stop the crooks, who don't have access to photoshop,dreamweaver,flash or whatever everyone else uses.

Hey richnerd

OldGuy's got it right. Don't get down on people's responses on this topic. If anything, you managed to raise some good questions, and we managed to come up with some solutions on the matter. I remember when I first raised the idea of using Flash to produce watermarked images as a way to reduce the incidince of image stealing, some forumite nearly blew a gasket, claiming that I was convincing everyone to go and spend several hundred dollars on the application. As always, I'm sure some people will find some use out of the suggestions that have been found in this thread, even if all it did was just raise their awareness of the problem. thumbsup2.gif

Do this once and I'll show you in 5 minutes that it won't work.

If the name is next to the photo it can be cropped out with no problem.

Boy I didn't want to start the debate of the day here, I was just trying to help anyone out who would like to try and stop the crooks, who don't have access to photoshop,dreamweaver,flash or whatever everyone else uses.

Well it would be hard cropping if the sign or name is in the center of the item your selling...?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also inexpensive too. If you are trying to save some $$$$

I can provide a visual tutorial (with instructions, and screen-captures) to walk people through a basic - advanced watermark using Adobe Photoshop.

OldGuy, it might also be a good idea to corral a good effects filter like Eye Candy to do some of the more fancy stuff.

If there are enough people who would be interested, reply to this thread, and I'll post a tutorial in the next day or so.

Here's a vote for the Photoshop tutorial... there's so many features in Photoshop that it can take forever for graphically-challenged people like me to figure it our on their own!