• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Reports!

96 posts in this topic

Since some of us are not fortunate enough to go to SDCC this year, I was hoping that those lucky enough to attend (or speak to those who were) would share what they see/hear, their impressions on the event, reports on the dinner, etc.

I'm definitely jealous as I would love to be there this year -- what's happening?

Since some of us are not fortunate enough to go to SDCC this year, I was hoping that those lucky enough to attend (or speak to those who were) would share what they see/hear, their impressions on the event, reports on the dinner, etc.

I'm definitely jealous as I would love to be there this year -- what's happening?

Nothing yet ;)

Nothing yet ;)

Only Dealers are there today.

Well, doors are about to open for Preview Nite. Should be fun for those attending for the next four hours or so.

I am already getting sporadic reports from a few folks...some 5 figure deals occuring in the first 10 seconds of preview night.

Seriously, I should just make the trip, bring a folding chair and a box of popcorn...

:popcorn: and watch the fireworks. It's worth the price of admission.

C

I Just sold something to Mike Burkey....and I'm not even in San Diego! That man gets around! :popcorn:

And I just bought something in San Diego but I am still in Chicago. lol

What a sickness this hobby is...really.

C

Spent a couple of hours at the Con tonight. You could barely move in the parts of the convention hall devoted to pop culture while the comic/OA sections were lightly trafficked by comparison (I guess I finally have to admit that the criticism that this is no longer a comic convention is true). Anyway, if it was this packed overall on Preview Night, I can only imagine how Saturday is going to look. As much as I'd hate to see the Con move away from my hometown, this Con has outgrown the San Diego Convention Center, sad to say. I wonder how much longer it can continue in its present form in the current digs; I think it's pretty shameful that zero tickets will be sold on site since it sold out online.

Didn't do a whole lot except browse most of the OA dealers' inventory (missed a couple of them but I'll hit them tomorrow). Talked with Glenn Danzig at Black Line Fever for a while; he seemed nostalgic for the old days of the OA hobby and marveled at the democratization that CAF has brought about - now everyone can demand crazy prices for their art! :P Talked with Barry at Heritage for a while too - whoever was wondering how much that Boris Vallejo Savage Sword of Conan cover with the crucified Conan might go for, Heritage had it tagged at "$20,000-up".

The only art that really caught my eye was Dave Stevens' Alien Worlds #2 cover. It's a lovely piece that has all the right elements - I asked the guy at the booth the price and was told that the owner (Mike Thibodeaux I think) wasn't sure he wanted to sell it, but would ask in the $40k range if he did. As nice as the piece was, I like money even more, so that was easy to pass up. In all likelihood I won't be buying anything here and will focus instead on the Aug. Heritage auction if I decide to draw on the art budget.

Heard of a Neal Adams X-Men-related cover selling for $120K...any details out there? (shrug)

I requested a couple scans from an inker who did some work on my favorite artists stuff. he said they were on the way to SDCC so he couldn't scan them. He said he would hold them for me until he gets back. does that count?

Heard of a Neal Adams X-Men-related cover selling for $120K...any details out there? (shrug)

I heard $175K for the Adams Avengers #93 cover & Windsor-Smith X-Men 55 cover. Would love to see those images!

Kirby, Ditko, Adams, Smith.....sounds like a great show already and these are just reports from preview night.

Are any of these pieces offered by dealers or are they being offered from private collectors looking for buyers?

Thanks

Cheers!

N

I heard $175K for the Adams Avengers #93 cover & Windsor-Smith X-Men 55 cover. Would love to see those images!

That was the final hammer price, Burkey was the middle man. That's 175k for both not each of course.