• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Reports!

96 posts in this topic

Done cleaning the garage and... just bought another Very Cool piece from S.D. Gee, I'm glad everyone has cel phones these days... with cameras...DF

40k apiece on the Stevens and the 1st Cap marvel.... i like, but a TAD steep for me.... (I'll have to be content with Cap. Marvel 4)

I did just buy a twice up beauty in S.D.... even though I'm at home cleaning out my garage...

....and I sold 3 pieces to guys in S.D.... I guess my prices are looking pretty good right about now....! Check out my CAf, still have a few sweet pieces for sale !!!

Sure, I'll answer this one --

There is a short list of people that can afford to pay these kinds of prices that have a comic art addiction just like the rest of us. If it's OA they want and you're the seller -- it's can be like hitting the lottery. If it's OA that they don't want -- you're out of luck. I think it is a big mistake to think that just because these covers sold for what they did, that all covers and/or similar pieces are now worth the same amount. These are isolated sales and should be viewed as such. Just because an upside down airplane stamp or an unrestored Action #1 sells for a certain amount, doesn't mean that all stamps or all comics then go up in value. All I can say is, buy what you love.

David

I knew you would say exactly that.. which is why I asked.

One of the problems with the comic hobby is that everyone "prices to the top buyer". Why it's a problem is of course the simple fact that 99.99999% of the collectors cannot afford to pay what those top buyers with endless reams of money can and that by pricing to the top, they actually force more collectors out of the hobby as opposed to supporting a vibrant collecting atmosphere and that less knowledgable collectors get screwed by people comparing a price that you paid against all other pieces of reasonable comparison, and like you said and like I have always said - just because Collector A will pay $100,000 for X doesn't mean that any other similar piece is even worth 25% of that because Collector A hasn't the least interest in any other piece than the one he paid $100K for and even worse, when the 1 or 2 or 3 guys who will pay that price stop buying, that the prices tumble to nothingness on the similar items.

That's what happened in 1992 when two of the top collectors of Flash Gordon Sunday pages (Alex Raymond I'm talking here) stopped collecting them (one got divorced & had to split up his collection, one just achieved what he wanted). After the two bowed out, and the divorced one's other half sold her's the market on them fell to the other 3 buyers who wouldn't even come close to paying the previous prices even for the best pieces that resold at 1/3 of the previous price. I have no doubt this will happen in teh comics hobby as a whole at some point down the road, though it may be longer in the future than I used to think.

anyway.. hope you're having fun Dave & next time you come to town, my # is still the same but the gallery is closed

Rich================

David

I knew you would say exactly that.. which is why I asked.

One of the problems with the comic hobby is that everyone "prices to the top buyer". Why it's a problem is of course the simple fact that 99.99999% of the collectors cannot afford to pay what those top buyers with endless reams of money can and that by pricing to the top, they actually force more collectors out of the hobby as opposed to supporting a vibrant collecting atmosphere and that less knowledgable collectors get screwed by people comparing a price that you paid against all other pieces of reasonable comparison, and like you said and like I have always said - just because Collector A will pay $100,000 for X doesn't mean that any other similar piece is even worth 25% of that because Collector A hasn't the least interest in any other piece than the one he paid $100K for and even worse, when the 1 or 2 or 3 guys who will pay that price stop buying, that the prices tumble to nothingness on the similar items.

That's what happened in 1992 when two of the top collectors of Flash Gordon Sunday pages (Alex Raymond I'm talking here) stopped collecting them (one got divorced & had to split up his collection, one just achieved what he wanted). After the two bowed out, and the divorced one's other half sold her's the market on them fell to the other 3 buyers who wouldn't even come close to paying the previous prices even for the best pieces that resold at 1/3 of the previous price. I have no doubt this will happen in teh comics hobby as a whole at some point down the road, though it may be longer in the future than I used to think.

anyway.. hope you're having fun Dave & next time you come to town, my # is still the same but the gallery is closed

Rich================

Totally agree with everything you said. I understand that animation cels met a similar fate. I think CGC graded comics are a bit more secure due to GPA and people paying along a rational price base. If an ASM #3 in 8.0 has historically sold for $2500 in the GPA data, there a good chance that you can sell that book for $2500 and that it is okay to buy the book at that price. However, if an FF 57 page sells on Heritage for 33K, it does not mean that you can sell another page from FF 57 for 33K or that all of the pages in the 50s are worth 33K -- all it means is that a buyer loved that particular page enough to pay 33K for it.

I do have reservations about the future of OA pricing, and I think that what we're going to hear from many collectors that went to SD will follow along this theme.

Hey, if I'm ever in Vegas, I will definitely let you know!

well if I had the money...I would be paying stooopid prices too! I love the stuff. I love just seeing it. Avengers #93...just one of the coolest Neal Adams Marvel covers ever! Worth $100K? To me yes. And worth more than that to somebody else....I hear there was an offer for $120K for that cover already!!

well if I had the money...I would be paying stooopid prices too! I love the stuff. I love just seeing it. Avengers #93...just one of the coolest Neal Adams Marvel covers ever! Worth $100K? To me yes. And worth more than that to somebody else....I hear there was an offer for $120K for that cover already!!

Someone did offer 120k for the Avengers cover but part of that was trade and deal was already made at a lower price.

I think Neal just hiked up his prices for his sketches and commissions. :grin:

The Avengers 93 cover was the best cover from that run. The storyline was also the Kree-Skrull war, a classic IMHO. Great layout, great art. If you were going to pony up the cash, that would be the cover.

The Barry Smith (as he was known back then) X-Men 55 cover was okay but he was still in his Kirbyesque mode back then. IMHO BWS didn't hit his stride until the later issues of Conan when he started inking his own pencils.

Congratulations to both buyer and seller. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I'm sure all parties are happy with their transaction. :applause:

Cheers!

N

who is the premeire Avengers artist? I think Perez or early Buschema . . . .everyone else kinda sux to me. My palate is rigid though.

Say it ain't so..... Have you ever heard of this pokey little marvel artist by the name of Romita?? Personally, I think he did some rather swell Avengers covers. Kinda like Kirby too... ;)

Mike Thibodeaux (the inker) has the ASM #3 pin up......it's very impressive, saw it at the show.

Also, there were 2 other big pieces that were at SD. Bechara brought along his Kirby/Sinnott FF #72 cover ( arguably the single best SS image ever. ) Trying to get a picture up, hopefully over the next few days

And the Ditko title splash for ASM #6 featuring the Lizard. Both were valued at 150K +

There was a discussion amonst the "powers to be" of which of the above 3 pieces would be worth the most and why. There was no winner, strong arguements were made for all, fun stuff.

Heard of a Neal Adams X-Men-related cover selling for $120K...any details out there? (shrug)

I heard $175K for the Adams Avengers #93 cover & Windsor-Smith X-Men 55 cover. Would love to see those images!

That was the final hammer price, Burkey was the middle man. That's 175k for both not each of course.

I reiterate my previous post. 175k was the hammer price done deal.

Saw the Avengers #93 cover.....very nice in person.

SUPPOSEDLY Eric Roberts (actor, Julia Roberts brother) paid the 175K but I can't confirm.

SUPPOSEDLY Eric Roberts (actor, Julia Roberts brother) paid the 175K but I can't confirm.

Eric Roberts the OA collector is not the Actor, and not related to Julia...

C