• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question, If Batman 99 is last GA ish, then......

23 posts in this topic

Regardless of whther it is right or wrong, a date needs to be established.

Maybe. Maybe not.

If we need to categorize everything as Golden/Silver/Other, than I suppose you're correct. But seems way too artificial to me. The example I used in the other thread was Marvel's Strange Tales:

The Silver Age begins with Showcase #4, October 1956. Do all the Marvel monster books beginning with the October 1956 issues immediately become Silver Age? Overstreet would have us believe Strange Tales 51 is the first Silver Age issue of that title, but really it is indistinguishable from #50 or #52. Fantastic Four #1 hit in November 1961-- that is surely Marvel Silver Age, but it does nothing to elevate Strange Tales #90 (also November 1961) to Silver Age status. I'd argue Strange Tales "participated" in the Silver Age beginning with #101, when the Human Torch solo feature arrived.

Looked at another way, from the distance of many years we can all clearly say the Batman stories during WWII were GA and the Julie Schwartz edited Batman stories were SA. We can even point to watershed events like Action 1 and Showcase 4 as defining moments of a new age. (We'll mercifully leave Bronze Age alone for the moment!)

But I'm not sure we have a fine enough measurement for saying when exactly the transition took place for the Superman and Batman books. (Wonder Woman is a little easier due to the arrival of the new art team of Andru and Esposito).

But the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of extending the "Atomic Age" interim period to cover not only the pre-Code crime/horror period, but also the Marvel monster books up until the point Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko created the various Marvel superheroes, as well as the weird/sci-fi period of the Batman strip.

Just a different perspective.

edited for props to Jack & Steve! foreheadslap.gif

How can you tell the first issue of a Golden Age book like Batman when it didn't stop printing?

Carter

But I still say the best GA Batman stuff was all published before 1946!

To bad Joker didn't get any stories before tehre was a Robin probably could have been some even better ones.