• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Glen Fabry painted covers from Hellblazer and more..

42 posts in this topic

Maybe I am late to the party but I can't find anyone talking about Fabry painted covers. With CGC putting comics in a plastic case, they become frames for works of art. This stuff is incredible, IMHO. Anyone else feel the same?

0625238007R.jpg

My kinda thread! :grin: I have several HB Fabry slabs. I'll dig some out.

Mister Not So Nice here on the boards has some awesome original Fabry covers. Maybe he'll chime in :popcorn:

EDIT: BTW, that #66 appears to be on my want list. Hand it over :baiting:

Hmm, seems I haven't got many good pics handy. I can rectify that later. Here's some from my set:

0150235004O.JPG

0796543006O.jpg

Funnily enough, my girlfriend has expressed appreciation for some of my slabbed HB's with Fabry covers in the past. This is remarkable to me inasmuch as she doesn't bat an eye at any of my lovely silver age keys and whatnot :grin:

Fabry's a Brightonian doncha know. He had a bunch of his original HB paintings on display at Sussex Uni one time many years ago (early 90s). It was very cool to get a good look at them.

Mister Not So Nice here on the boards has some awesome original Fabry covers. Maybe he'll chime in :popcorn:

True indeed.

My first exposure to Glenn Fabry was when I saw the cover to #60 on the shelf. Just blew me away. I haven't begun a HB set yet, but I am waiting to get 11 SigSeries PREACHER books in the mail any day now. :headbang:

I'm at work now without access to my massive jpg library, but I'll be happy to post many pics when I can.

And if you like Fabry, check out my "Homage covers" in MY CAF

And a question of my own. Does anyone besides me save the "Promo" pics posted on the DC site when the issue is solicited? (The images sans logos ect). I've got a few, but would love to trade with anyone that has any.

Mike

I always got the feeling that Fabry started out ok with some decent stuff early on - then Simon Biz turns up and blows everyone out of the water and Fabry goes awol for a couple of years, then turns up again with some of the best art ever seen in the medium as if to say ' right, there you go - have a look at what I can really do when I put my mind to it!'

Bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone.

My kinda thread! :grin: I have several HB Fabry slabs. I'll dig some out.

EDIT: BTW, that #66 appears to be on my want list. Hand it over :baiting:

Actually, I think I sold you your #72 via E-bay. I had actually got 3 #72's graded, all came back 9.8 but one was cracked case syndrome. :frustrated:

True indeed.

My first exposure to Glenn Fabry was when I saw the cover to #60 on the shelf. Just blew me away. I haven't begun a HB set yet, but I am waiting to get 11 SigSeries PREACHER books in the mail any day now. :headbang:

I'm at work now without access to my massive jpg library, but I'll be happy to post many pics when I can.

And if you like Fabry, check out my "Homage covers" in MY CAF

And a question of my own. Does anyone besides me save the "Promo" pics posted on the DC site when the issue is solicited? (The images sans logos ect). I've got a few, but would love to trade with anyone that has any.

Mike

Since yoiu have some original covers, maybe you can tell me. How do they convert the painted work into a printable cover? Paint has depth to it, unlike pen and ink so you would think scanning would be hard. Any ideas?

My very first Fabry cover, purchased back in June 1999.

Interesting note on this cover. When the auction was set to end I would be on a deployment and unable to monitor the auction so I set up my snipe and hoped for the best. While I was away I was able to get to a computer and checked up on the auction. I WON, but for an amount higher than what my snipe was set at. How did that happen? My wife was watching the auction and she knows how much I love Fabry's art and she upped my bid. :cloud9:

63165.jpg.bf7c566dac35f6bf925dca47447464ab.jpg

wow... the act of printing that painting really detracted from its appearance... Part of what I don't like about Fabry is the tight skin, constricted faces, and tones of his flesh colors... What is amazing about the painting above, to me, are the colors and brushstrokes of the background. To see the figure plucked from its background and tossed on that cover makes me sad.

Great scan Mr. NSN; thanks for sharing! It's great to see the artist's original vision :)

I always got the feeling that Fabry started out ok with some decent stuff early on - then Simon Biz turns up and blows everyone out of the water and Fabry goes awol for a couple of years, then turns up again with some of the best art ever seen in the medium as if to say ' right, there you go - have a look at what I can really do when I put my mind to it!'

Bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone.

I seem to remember Fabry taking over from Bisley on Slaine in 2000AD (it's quite possible I remember wrongly though - 'twas a long time ago). At the time, I thought Fabry was a watered down Bisley imitation. Bear in mind, I was an ignorant teenager at the time :grin: