• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best Bronze Age artist..who was your favorite?

70 posts in this topic

But Romita Sr had no ooomph! Just a very nice vanilla flavor. Good draughtsman, good layouts, pretty girls...but no BANG.

Adams and Steranko were "artistes" at their peaks in the 70s.

IMO Ross Andru was a talented drawer, but only a serviceable artist, far less exciting than even Romita. They could both draw ANYthing 'well' but not extraordinarily so.

You OBVIOUSLY don't have a copy of Superman vs. The Amazing Spiderman.

Andru is most anything but "serviceable".

course I do, Sonny boy - - bought it right off the newsstands. Cant remember a single panel it was so bland. Sorry - -difference of opinion. Perhaps it was a highlight of his career? Have you suffered thru his Wonder Womans? and Metal Mens for years as we had to??

I'll answer your question with a cover:

07206180254.244.GIF

I never understood one thing about this cover.. why do they BOTH have their shirts off?

Not only that Ra's is holding Bats full costume (including pants, tights, whatever)yet Batman is wearing them as well.

I'll answer your question with a cover:

07206180254.244.GIF

I never understood one thing about this cover.. why do they BOTH have their shirts off?

Not only that Ra's is holding Bats full costume (including pants, tights, whatever)yet Batman is wearing them as well.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to tell me that Ra's ripped off Bats clothes and is just to put them on but it didn't make sense to me since they both have a pair of Batman's pants. I think they are just waiting for Robin to come buy to rub some sun tan lotion on them.

I started reading comics in the mid 70's, so I'd say John Byrne followed by Michael Golden (who was brilliant, but not very prolific) and then maybe Frank Miller. I never really liked Perez at all for some reason nor Sienkiewicz.

As far as the early 70s, I think everyone has already mentioned the best - Adams, Kane, Ploog, Wrightson, etc.

But John Byrne's work on X-men, MTU, Avengers, Iron Fist, etc was just stellar for its time. His style started detiorating with FF and his writing turned me off to his work after that time.

Byrne was one of the best cover artists of that decade or any other. And I give Terry Austin a lot of credit for taking Byrne's work up another notch, just like he did with many other artists.

I read/re-read the 1st 35 issues of Warren's Vampirella series over the weekend (I had a cold and had nothing better to do). I was completely blown away by the absolutely gorgeous artwork in these mags...sure, there are plenty of stories/covers illustrated by big names like Adams, Wrightson, Ploog, Wood, etc. However, the large stable of Spanish artists employed by Warren in the '70s were also creating art of the highest level.

When an Adams or a Wrightson illustrated a story in a particular issue, it wasn't necessarily even the best drawn story in the book! And I'm not just saying that they took a backseat to known/semi-known artists like Jose Gonzalez, Esteban Maroto or Rafael Auraleon...even some of Warren's now completely forgotten artists like Isidro Mones and Ramon Torrents were creating art that, IMO, blows away 95% of other artists from the 1970s. Yes, even including the "big name" artists that have been listed in this thread. And don't even get me started on the cover artists that Warren had working for them...Frazetta, Enrich, San Julian, Ken Kelly...just to name a few.

Being both a comic book and original art collector, I think a lot of times people get hung up on "name" artists and overlook the quality of the art itself. Those of you who haven't read the Bronze Age Warren stuff owe it to yourself to check it out, particularly those of you with an affinity for DC horror titles (note: most issues of Vampirella contain only 1 Vampi story and about 4 other horror/sci-fi/fantasy stories). Overall, this is the best artwork I have ever seen in any era of comics.

Gene