• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Investment? AF #15 or Marvel Entertainment (MVL)

45 posts in this topic

Id say right now Marvel will more likely go down before it goes up. So long term aside, Id wait and try to buy it when it slumps back into the 20s, as it has before, rather than now at 35 and hope for a higher high.

as for AF15, that's a tough one too. HG and mid HG (7.0 and up) are coming off huge gains of late. So Id think a stall is in the cards rather than more doubling of prices. Long term, its a good bet. I have no idea how good, but Im pretty convinced prices will continue higher.

but, who knows, huh?

It may go down in the near term, but a lot depends on the 2009 guidance. If the 2009 guidance winds up being higher than expected, I think that at that point, people will have missed a relatively cheap buy-in opportunity. I have had a nice position in MVL, but I bought more on Tuesday after the stock plummeted following the earnings call. I think the market way overreacted to what should not have been a surprise (and what were some really good numbers for the quarter), and the recovery the stock has made in the past couple of days shows that others are making the same bet.

Coincidentally, I also bought some Ford stock on Monday. lol This has been a fun week. The company is a mess, but it was getting so cheap ($4.7992/share - about half of what it was less than a year ago) that it wasn't a very expensive "bet" to make, and I have a gut feeling that management will finally get the message and slowly turn it around. And if I'm wrong, it didn't cost me that much.

I also think the government would seek to bail out Ford and GM if it ever came to that. Not all car companies, but enough help to keep our face in the game. Cars are too big a game to walk away from as a country, no matter how stubborn or lazy or blase Detroit has gotten every chance they thought they could coast

I bought a 100 shares of Marvel stock, MRV, in 96 (I think?) for $3 a share. I'm still not sure why that stock is no longer worth a penny, yet there's still a Marvel Comics and a different stock? Can anyone explain what happened? If would be nice if I'd made a couple thousand, instead of feeling screwed over.

And, by the way, my AF 15 in 6.5 was a way better investment and that's what I'd recommend to anyone considering to purchase MVL.

Coincidentally, I also bought some Ford stock on Monday. lol This has been a fun week. The company is a mess, but it was getting so cheap ($4.7992/share - about half of what it was less than a year ago) that it wasn't a very expensive "bet" to make, and I have a gut feeling that management will finally get the message and slowly turn it around. And if I'm wrong, it didn't cost me that much.

I also think the government would seek to bail out Ford and GM if it ever came to that. Not all car companies, but enough help to keep our face in the game. Cars are too big a game to walk away from as a country, no matter how stubborn or lazy or blase Detroit has gotten every chance they thought they could coast

That was a good part of my thinking too. If Ford goes belly up, I believe that it is going to signal a large-scale, global economic collapse that will make the loss of my investment the least of my problems. On the other hand, if the company turns it around, the upside is significant. I wish I had bought more than I did.

Of course, I always say that when a stock I buy increases in value. :insane:

I bought a 100 shares of Marvel stock, MRV, in 96 (I think?) for $3 a share. I'm still not sure why that stock is no longer worth a penny, yet there's still a Marvel Comics and a different stock? Can anyone explain what happened? If would be nice if I'd made a couple thousand, instead of feeling screwed over.

And, by the way, my AF 15 in 6.5 was a way better investment and that's what I'd recommend to anyone considering to purchase MVL.

MRV went bankrupt. Read the book "Comic Wars" by Dan Raviv and it will explain what happened. You don't own any MVL stock. Through the reorganization plan approved by the bankruptcy court, MRV stockholders got subscription rights for MVL shares (shares of the reorganized company, which was a merger of MRV and Toy Biz, MRV's toy licensee) at a price that was never lower than the street value of the MVL shares before the expiration date of the subscription rights. (Like stock options that are "under water" and expire before being exercised.)