• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firelake Collection (RE: Distributor Ink...)

121 posts in this topic

Just called for the graders note to ensure my memory was not failing...

Thankfully the memory is still intact. :grin:

Nothing in the notes except the distro ink and "small noncolorbreaking dents."

I asked if there could be other flaws not listed, and the gentleman commented that there could be, but the notes typically contain the primary reasons why the grade is what it is.

Given that the ink was listed, I have to presume it was factored into the grade.

I asked if there could be other flaws not listed, and the gentleman commented that there could be, but the notes typically contain the primary reasons why the grade is what it is.

Given that the ink was listed, I have to presume it was factored into the grade.

very interesting. But then, since the grading standards remain a mystery... I guess we really will never know.

very interesting. But then, since the grading standards remain a mystery... I guess we really will never know.

Yeah, but should the grading standards be a mystery? Shouldn't they be public knowledge?

Andy

Yeah, but should the grading standards be a mystery? Shouldn't they be public knowledge?

Andy

Well the explanation is that they are proprietary... but...

If the grading standards were published you'd have every Tom, Doofus and Harry arguing why their books should be a 9.6 instead of a 9.0 or whatever...it's in CGC's best interest to keep the grading standards private for several reasons.

1) prevents a little bit of knowledge getting into the wrong person's hands and arming someone with creating a big stink over a grade. Just less headache for CGC.

2) prevents competition from copying them.

3) there is more to grading than just a set of rules...it's almost like a working relationship...there are always exceptions, 9.8 books with large flaws etc. and "tweeners"...that's why with grading being more of an art form (especially for midgrades) it would be very difficult to write a rule for every possible scenario.

It's like trying to teach someone to create art or music...there really is not much of a science to it...it's up to the creative individual either having it in them or not.

R.

Will a comic with distributor ink such as this be graded 9.6 or 9.8?

I little bit like that only on the back cover probably wouldn't affect the grade below 9.8.

If the grading standards were published you'd have every Tom, Doofus and Harry arguing why their books should be a 9.6 instead of a 9.0 or whatever...it's in CGC's best interest to keep the grading standards private for several reasons.

1) prevents a little bit of knowledge getting into the wrong person's hands and arming someone with creating a big stink over a grade. Just less headache for CGC.

2) prevents competition from copying them.

3) there is more to grading than just a set of rules...it's almost like a working relationship...there are always exceptions, 9.8 books with large flaws etc. and "tweeners"...that's why with grading being more of an art form (especially for midgrades) it would be very difficult to write a rule for every possible scenario.

It's like trying to teach someone to create art or music...there really is not much of a science to it...it's up to the creative individual either having it in them or not.

R.

Okay, okay....I get it.... :sorry:

hmmmmm, so, dealers were able to lobby and get inking not to count, but CGC still wound up tightening grading standards by 25% or more once we're not talking about printing and/or distribution defects? which dealers were happy about that?

honestly, i don't understand why the ink isn't a defect, even when ugly, and a strap indentation is one? both were created during the distribution process. heck, the delivery guy dropping the stack of books on its side and dinging all of them also occured in the distribution process...ditto subscription creases.........

of course, views shift, even mine. i'm now open to the idea of a nonobtrusive date stamp not being a defect, but what about these big nasty grease pencil dates? come on!

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Well, from where I'm sitting...'Grades That Should Never Be'. (shrug)

Morel like another pressing thread.

lol

That ASM had some serious back cover stress that is now gone.

And you know what...this is such an argument for why the multiples of Guide being paid for those Big Number books is pure insanity.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Well, from where I'm sitting...'Grades That Should Never Be'. (shrug)

More like another pressing thread.

lol

That ASM had some serious back cover stress that is now gone.

I'm trying to avoid that conclusion...but am finding it soooooo difficult. :insane:

I'm also finding the discolouration problems quite astounding with those grades. :screwy:

And you know what...this is such an argument for why the multiples of Guide being paid for those Big Number books is pure insanity.

Nick If you read my entire post was referring more to the mid grade books when I was posting this because they are allowed a multitude of accumulated defects. It's how to grade a mid grade or a lower grade book that most people find difficult.

Books in the 9.2/9.4/9.6/9.8 range are much easier ti discern (if you have good eye sight) and much more scientific because you CAN actually apply a quanifiable rule to these grades. The AMOUNT of defects and the size of defects allowed in these grades are much less so again, much easier to make a rule about them.

No?

Nick If you read my entire post was referring more to the mid grade books when I was posting this because they are allowed a multitude of accumulated defects. It's how to grade a mid grade or a lower grade book that most people find difficult.

Books in the 9.2/9.4/9.6/9.8 range are much easier ti discern (if you have good eye sight) and much more scientific because you CAN actually apply a quanifiable rule to these grades. The AMOUNT of defects and the size of defects allowed in these grades are much less so again, much easier to make a rule about them.

No?

That being the case...how come we can't come up with a consistant answer as to whether distributors' ink is allowed in 9.6 or 9.8, then? (shrug)

Just saying...

Another rationale for the decision supposedly was that all books have a form of 'distributor ink' on them now (i.e. the comic companies color code the books themselves).

This is somewhat contrary to my experience. Here is the best looking 8.0 on the planet. The only thing in the graders notes are distributor ink (back cover only) and "thumb dents." (There are 2 small thumb dents that are almost impossible to see through the slab.) I presumed the distributor overspray on the back cover was what knocked it down... because the remainder of the flaws would not knock it down lower than 9.0 IMO.

(shrug)

Steve I see spine stress (At least 3-4, some wear at the back cover bottom edge....