• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The real "Pressing" Question Goes Live....Man up!

296 posts in this topic

I guess I'll ask....

What's with all the Yes to restoration but No to PLOD answers??

Restored books get the purple label. There is one exception to that, the 'very minor color touch' blue label on old books which is so asinine it's not even worth discussing. Are we just concerned that if a pressed book get the Plod, it's value will be disproportionately affected?

Yes I feel if you consider Pressing to be resto than is must go into a PLOD label if CGC graded. 2c

Restoration - no. Disclosure - I proactively disclose because folks ask. Personally, I don't feel that it needs to be disclosed. I do, however, feel that if someone asks they should certainly be told.

why type my response when this geek has pushed my button word-for-word, except that i've only sold one pressed book, and the very tall geek that bought it already knew i had it pressed [i was so elated when it jumped from 6.0 to 9.0 that i immediately called him to brag] so i didn't have to disclose it. i am more on the "ask" than "proactively disclose" side of the fence, but don't sell pressed books really, so it's academic to me.

FYI: For all you guys that think Pressing should be noted on the "Blue Universal CGC case.

One big problem, CGC can't tell if the book has been pressed.

So that won't happen.

Originally Posted By: MrBedrock
Restoration - no. Disclosure - I proactively disclose because folks ask. Personally, I don't feel that it needs to be disclosed. I do, however, feel that if someone asks they should certainly be told.

why type my response when this geek has pushed my button word-for-word, except that i've only sold one pressed book, and the very tall geek that bought it already knew i had it pressed [i was so elated when it jumped from 6.0 to 9.0 that i immediately called him to brag] so i didn't have to disclose it. i am more on the "ask" than "proactively disclose" side of the fence, but don't sell pressed books really, so it's academic to me.

ok, so I am putting a NO for you.Is that correct?

Yes I feel if you consider Pressing to be resto than is must go into

a PLOD label if CGC graded.

Nope, and it could easily be noted on the Universal label, like CGC does for minor CT and glue on GA books. Those are both restoration, but are not deemed serious enough to warrant a purple label.

I love how everyone says that it should be disclosed but no one does so hm

i love that it should be noted, but can't be detected. what's cgc supposed to do, run every book they get in past the "gallery of disclosure"? or keep pix of every book they grade, and when another comes in they compare/contrast against the entire data base?

i like my restoration detectable via a check of the book in hand, only.

FYI: For all you guys that think Pressing should be noted on the "Blue Universal CGC case.

One big problem, CGC can't tell if the book has been pressed.

Of course they can, they just can't detect it 100% of the time. Just like trimming, color touch, staple replacement and other resto that is impossible to detect 100% of the time.

Originally Posted By: spiderman-on-tilt
FYI: For all you guys that think Pressing should be noted on the "Blue Universal CGC case.<br /><br />One big problem, CGC can't tell if the book has been pressed.

Of course they can, they just can't detect it 100% of the time.

Just like trimming, color touch, staple replacement and other resto that is impossible to detect 100% of the time.

So is CGC lying to us when they say they cant detect pressing?I am going by what CGC told me in person.I am not agruing with you, just going by what they said.DAMN I WISH BOROCK WOULD CHIME IN! :wishluck:

Yes

Blue label but should be noted

Yes

you got it goldie...If the book is altered in any way shape or form then it has to be by definition restored.And to me it's the sellers responsibility to disclose it, especially if they were the party thattook part in it.How are we to be 100% certain that down the road this type of procedure is going to make thebook have an error due to this process?To me pressing isn't normal wear and tear it is an alteration for better appearanceand to a purist like myself - if it is altered,... it's restored. (shrug)

Originally Posted By: MrBedrock

why type my response when this geek has pushed my button word-for-word, except that i've never knowingly sold a pressed book. i am more on the "ask" than "proactively disclose" side of the fence, but don't sell books really, so it's academic to me.

So is CGC lying to us when they say they cant detect pressing?

Yes, but I don't believe they would ever state it exactly like that. A blind man could detect some pressing jobs.

The way I remember it, to paraphrase, it was stated something like.... pressing cannot be reliably detected all of the time.

actually, if we were going to advocate pro active disclosure, it'd have to be a blue label and then disclosed by the person submitting (if it was known to them) on their form. Then CGC wouldn't be the only party "disclosing". The problem is, I've not heard of any reliable way of detecting pressing all the time.

Look, practically, if it's declared restoration, then y'know all those books sitting in blue labels suddenly become PLODs or should they all have "pressed" written on the labels.

This is not going to change. CGC's stance on pressing has made it completely impractical and undesirable to disclose pressing. Until it becomes reliably detectable, nobody is going to disclose. And there's no amount of peer pressure from these boards that will make it so.

Just imagine, if Dupcak could color touch or trim all his books and there was no way of telling, do you think that he would really proactively disclose?

Yes it is restoration.

No, it should never be disclosed. Why? Because if everyone disclosed, then 99% of you would have nothing to post about on the boards. And I'd miss you all terribly.