• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW pgx LISTING ON COMICLINK! BUMPED TO TELL THE UN-INFORMED!

54 posts in this topic

I've got no problem with buying PGX. I won't pay as much for a PGX book as I would a raw book since I can't actually take to book out and look at it. And there's no way in hell I'm paying any sort of slab premium for it.

Why rip PGX? You still on the CGC payroll or something....? :baiting:

Actually, if one reads the technical definition in Overstreet for the fair grade, he does allow for missing centerfold or pages in the low 1.0 grades. As the cLink auction specifically states, "Covers completely split." This means the mismatched GA DC back cover is loose from the front cover.

As this is a Cgc forum, it seems like Cgc is more powerful now than Overstreet's definitions of grading morphed since 1970?

" Would be incomplete per CGC due to wrong back cover being married. "

doh!

Yeah well, grading is subjective isn't it? Those CGC guys are such nitpickers! lol

So, really, if CGC had this, would they even slab the back cover with it? If it's not married and just kind of hanging around loose, isn't it appropriate not to slab an extra piece of papar with the original?

Why rip PGX? You still on the CGC payroll or something....? :baiting:

Actually, if one reads the technical definition in Overstreet for the fair grade, he does allow for missing centerfold or pages in the low 1.0 grades. As the cLink auction specifically states, "Covers completely split." This means the mismatched GA DC back cover is loose from the front cover.

As this is a Cgc forum, it seems like Cgc is more powerful now than Overstreet's definitions of grading morphed since 1970?

They put the WRONG back cover in with the book. This has to do with CERTIFICATION. Grading is only a part of certification, KNOWING what back cover belongs with a book (an important one at that!), is why people should be worried about these so called "Xperts". (Where is the gramlin that hurls up when ya need it?)

Not a bad price... hmlol

$500 compared to a Simpsons #1 1st print Cgc for $1,125 or Action #1 1st wrap only Cgc no grade for $3,100. It will be interesting to watch the results of the comicConnect auction on Detective #1 slabbed 6.5 fn+ with the wrong back cover restored to the correct front cover. hm

This is an interesting situation here. Everyone knows that i've been a defender of PGX in many respects here on these boards. Any company can make a mistake, so can CGC. This is a big mistake however. I wonder how close this is to the actual back cover. Regardless it was PGX fault, they should just buy the book back and re-slab it for free. Having such slabbed copies for sale with their name on it does not make for good press.

they graded it a fair....1.0....and the overstreet says "Books in this condition generally have all pages and most of the covers, although there may be up to 1/3 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both"

not defending slabbing the wrong back cover, but they "do" have a different grading standard, albeit one that most of us disagree with.

Aww c'mon Steve, it's only the back cover, nobody will even notice!

(:

Hey, maybe it's pressed....that would be even worse!!!

:jokealert:

If it was pressed we'd never know because that would never make it into the sellers comments. :baiting:

Maybe it is a mistake by PGX and they will make an effort to purchase the book. To be fair, it is not like CGC has never made a mistake on a book.

Let him who is without sin.....

Sorry Stevo

I am being very fair.

Wouldn't YOU check to make sure a back cover is correct when clearly it is detached on an important book.

CGC has made and will make mistakes, but they sure do not put a DETACHED COVER IN WITH THE WRONG BOOK. Quite a bit of time is spent checking to make sure front & back covers are correct when not attached to the book. CGC also confirms this on restored books.

You sell books, so certification for you is a way of making money. Nothing wrong with that at all. Collectors expect certain things from a certification company. The MAIN two things they expect is for them to be impartial and to do due diligence when VERIFYING the comic book is what it is submitted as. That is why you make more money slabbing certain books, customer confidence. As a business man, you would not give CGC $ if it were not so.

I do not need to stick up for CGC, they are the only game in town. I do, however, just as I did before I worked at CGC, try and tell collectors what I believe to be good or bad for our hobby so the hobby will remain healthy. These guys are just bad news.

Sorry Dale :foryou:

Maybe it is a mistake by PGX and they will make an effort to purchase the book. To be fair, it is not like CGC has never made a mistake on a book.

Let him who is without sin.....

Sorry Stevo

I am being very fair.

Wouldn't YOU check to make sure a back cover is correct when clearly it is detached on an important book.

CGC has made and will make mistakes, but they sure do not put a DETACHED COVER IN WITH THE WRONG BOOK. Quite a bit of time is spent checking to make sure front & back covers are correct when not attached to the book. CGC also confirms this on restored books.

You sell books, so certification for you is a way of making money. Nothing wrong with that at all. Collectors expect certain things from a certification company. The MAIN two things they expect is for them to be impartial and to do due diligence when VERIFYING the comic book is what it is submitted as. That is why you make more money slabbing certain books, customer confidence. As a business man, you would not give CGC $ if it were not so.

I do not need to stick up for CGC, they are the only game in town. I do, however, just as I did before I worked at CGC, try and tell collectors what I believe to be good or bad for our hobby so the hobby will remain healthy. These guys are just bad news.

Sorry Dale :foryou:

Grammatically, I think you need to reword that last paragraph. It reads like you're saying the guys at CGC are bad news, when what you mean is that the guy (singular) at PGX is bad news. :baiting: