• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you know you can't send comics via Media Mail???

37 posts in this topic

Another reason Postal Inspectors are interested in opening your packages from the Beautiful Willamette Valley is the overabundance of the funky "weed" stench that emanates from the majority of packages in that region of the country. lol

Actually they were tearing open packages when I lived far from here... And everyone knows we Oregonians don't export our greenery... that's what the guys in BC are for... blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

when's the last time you saw a DEA trained comic sniffing dog?

See and here I should have been training my Lab to sniff out Mile Highs... what the heck was I thinking??? cool.gifcool.gif

you double posting insufficiently_thoughtful_person...read the description again. International sellers can contact me for EXACT postage rates. But you are right - Canada and Mexico at 4 lbs top out at $18...

Let's just say that's in Canadian dollars...and we'll leave this listing as is for all the dumb Canuckian suckers I prefer taking advantage of, like you.... BWAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway - this is a template screw up that I haven't noticed before or had any reason to correct. It is $21 for the UK and then I mistakenly just added Canada and Mexico so the "other North American " drek wouldn't feel left out.

I just had an unbound comic (nicely bagged and boarded) sent to me Media Mail, and it took 23 days from Atlanta - no more than a 6 hour car drive from my front door. BTW, I paid two to three times the cost of media mail to the #@$% seller, who could have saved me a few anxious weeks simply by dropping the book into a USPS Priority or even First Class envelope.

My carrier has been spectular with my stuff. I only have to go to the post office if it's foreign or insured. Otherwise, she takes it all (including boxes). I have a postal scale, so I always know the exact postage, and she is aware of that, so never questions the stacks of stuff outside.

I need to buy her a really nice Christmas present.

-- Joanna

One disadvantage of living in a small town with no crime and full coverage car insurance for $22 a month is that my mail carrier actually walks his entire route... so the concept of handing him 30 Priority Mail boxes just isn't feasible...

I wonder if there is a correlation between all the trouble you and Donut stir up here and the fact that your carriers are so nice.... Hmmm.... smile.gif

ruckus ruckus ruckus!

my USPS carrier is named Ron, and he's a great guy. All mailmen should be like him. Also, my USPS post office knows me well, and they wave me through the line. If you're ever in Reston, ask for Connie or Hamir!

I used to have that kind of relationship with the folks at the airport Post Office... Was nice being able to drop in at 1am with 200 packages... Here I can pull around back to the loading dock and put everything on a cart, but I still have to go back around and wait in the line...

And sure... if I am ever in Reston and have 30 packages to send out, I'll be sure and ask for Connie... smile.gif

Apparently if I had marked them 'Return Service Requested' I would have gotten them back postage due, but as it was they trashed them.

Thanks for that tip! I just put "Return Service Requested" on my shipping label template, so it'll be on every package.

Glad to help. I wish I had known that years ago... There are very few packages I wouldn't pay the shipping charge to get back if something happened...

BTW, thanks for the great Flash book. I haven't read the story about the interdimensional tv producer yet, but your grade description was accurate and your packaging was top notch... You get high marks from me...

If you go back to the top of the thread, somebody did in fact. My take is the intent of the media mail restriction is to prevent advertisers or magazines profiting from advertising to get the cheaper media mail rate. Vintage comics with out-of-date ads would not apply. I realize someone above said it did not matter whether the ads were current or not, and obviously we're all at the mercy of some random over-zealous postal inspector.

As a buyer, I always ask for media mail, and have yet to have a problem (perhaps 50 or so transactions since media mail became available.) Perhaps someone should start a poll to see how many instances of problems people have actually seen? As for me, I'll keep on using it...

Cheers,

Z.

Media mail parcels are shipped with some very heavy other parcels. Thrown together and not handled with the same "care" lol ...as Priority, or the best Registered.

From my experience on Ebay..alot of sellers simply do not know how to package their books correctly.

I.E. Two pieces of cardboard in a manilla envelope.

This to me is just asking for trouble if you are requesting MM from your sellers.

On the flipside there are several ebayers that can package PROPERLY, but the ratio is very skewed.

Simple question..Would you ship a $1000 book via Media Mail?

Not to mention the delay in shipping is hardly worth the saved money to me anyway. ($3.00?? Versus priority? )

M