• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Scud #1

4 posts in this topic

I know it's only Scud, but I'm curious to see if I'm grading it correctly. The pages are white and are perfect. I was looking at this scan and noticed something I hadn't seen before, and I'm slightly upset about it, staple rust. There is indeed a little bit of it on the bottom staple. How much will that count against the grade?

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

BTW, I was going to grade this as a 7.0 so now you'll know how far off I am.

If the rust is simply on the staple and not gone on into the book itself. I would say a 1.0 - 1.5 deduction is in order. If the rust has migrated to the inside of the book. Then I would say a 2.0 - 2.5 deduction would sound about right. The way the book is now. I would call it a 5.0 IMHO.

The rust has no effect on the interior pages, or the inside of the staple. It's just that little bit on the exterior. I was paranoid when I noticed it. I went and double checked to make sure there were no water stains or anything. There is nothing. Just that little piece of rust.

I guess i was waaay off on the grade, though. Maybe I didn't factor the staple rust into as much as I should.

I'd call it a 6.0 myself. The main culprit is the stress along the spine, but the rest of the book looks nice.