• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know if the Dentist owns this? (the "real" Superman #1)

47 posts in this topic

Pretty sure that action1kid consigned it. He won one on Heritage a few years ago.

Yup, he is the owner. It's worth a heck of a lot more than $4400 IMO.

It was on Ebay a few weeks ago and fetched over $10K but eventhat is cheap for what it is.

R.

I am amazed the Bid never went beyond 4400.00i

pre-auction estimate was $60k...... ooooops.... just a little off on the estimate

This is probably one time where Heritage's with their massive GA clientele would have perhaps been a better venue. What did it go for last time it was at Heritage?

I think that is a sleeper piece and as DC history becomes more and more well known (especially through the latest Siegel court battles) it should become better known.

R.

This is no sleeper piece of history. Anyone in this hobby who is even remotely familiar with the history of Superman knows about this fanzine. Price have fluctuated greatly on it over the years and I am not at all surprised that it didn't reach a higher price. It is also one of 3 or 5 fanzines in the series, and I know of a few collectors who have this particular one.

Not that I wouldn't love to own a copy, of course!

I would say even 4000 is way high. Ok you could say that this is the first Superman appearence by S&S - but when push comes to shove - its not.

Its a fanzine story about a crazy bald guy that just happens to be by the future creators of our favourite kryptonian.

Consider - GBS managed to put the words super+man together in 1903, no supes fan is clamouring after his work to make their collection complete.

This is one of those items that just proves that just because something is rare, doesn't necessarily mean that its any good.

Consider - GBS managed to put the words super+man together in 1903, no supes fan is clamouring after his work to make their collection complete.

Friedrich Nietzsche was already talking about Superman in his 1883 book. Only he was referring to him as Ubermensch

162980469_34a3efef3c_m.jpg

this particular fanzine sold at Sothebys in 1991 in the 30k range.

in 2006 it sold for 47k at Heritage.I have it up at [bUY IT NOW] on comiclink along with an Original Christopher Reeve Superman costume[and it is original!]

I consigned it on Clink for 2 reasons.I like Josh and i dont have to worry about losing it in transit[hes local] why not give it a shot.

"While age darkened, the paper itself is surprisingly supple for its age and there is no tearing or pieces missing aside from some minor chipping at the edges (in particular #1). The first and second issues where sent to subscribers through the mail and they have names and stamps on the reverse as well as some creasing from being folded in transit. Some pages have detached from the staples and the cover page of issue #3 is missing."

Missing cover to the fanzine issue # 3 which does not affect and contains the complete superman story.The very 1st superman story.The book is very close to one of a kind[3 to 4 copies] thats it.only the very top collectors have it.Knowing this I was not deterred to pay what I did.