• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Hulk 181

31 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how much to deduct for the writing on the BC, but it looks really, really nice, and I'm jealous because I don't own it.

I really don't know, but it should be a high"er" grade.

Are you in disbelief because you think the grade is too low? Or too high?

what is terrible is that i think that damage on the back cover corner came from the book being shaken around in the case.

joey if you think that is a tear will that lower your grade or are we still talking a 7.0?

I once had a ASM 50 just like that flaws were interior pages!!! lol I have bought so many ASM 50's it is ridiculous. The first one I bought was and 8.0 and got it for fine price never got a deal on that book since. Crack the slab(181) and sell it raw

If it's an old label, I would crack it out, and resubmit it... I think that tear might bring it down to the 6.5/7.0 range, but not 5.0... the rest of the book is just too nice (IMHO)...

what do you all think about getting a restoration on the tear?

i think i can get a SS/purple label with Herb and Stan.

will that then bring the grade up if done professionally?

thanks for all the input. this is the first time i am playing with the idea of restoration for a non golden age book.

You have the book restored and there goes the value of the book. The signatures wont matter much... Leave it alone. I'd take 5.0's like this all day long. Even with the minor tear. It is a better book than a 5.0... Buy the book. Not the slab... Best bet money wise is to crack it from the slab and sell it raw... Second best is to re submit the book. It should get better than a 5.0 this time around.. IMHO..

If you decide to sell it raw. I would look into getting the .75c removed from the back cover. It says it is written in pencil. It could be "erased" by a good professional. A sponsor of theses boards is Classics Incorporated. They may be able to get that price off of the book and still keep it in a Blue Label slab. You could always call them up and see what they think. I'm sure they would want good hight res. scans to take an initial look see. It would be worth it to have that work done if it can be done and still leave the book in a blue slab condition. It would help the book. Both in grade and it's value. It would be up to you to disclose this work onto the buyer or not.