• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first credit chargeback run-in with PayPal / eBay.

26 posts in this topic

I feel your pain because I got ripped off for over $300 when I tried to buy something from a guy in germany 2 or 3 years ago.

I have heard of lots of problems with Paypal. I feel lucky because I have not encountered any. As a former seller of video games on ebay, maybe I can give some advice. Make sure everything you ship (or at least everything over $100) is shipped via UPS or FedEx. This way it gets tracked and you have online proof that they got it. Now, I have not dealt in any extremely large transactions (say over $1000) but if you are doing that kind of volume you should be taking cashiers checks or maybe even credit cards directly (if you are making enough money per month).

Also, I can't believe discover card would not reverse a paypal transaction. I would probably just cancel their card if they did that.

I once had and ebay account Hijacked and was fortunate enough not to have my PP account hijacked at the same time. I had read horror stories of ebay and PP accounts being hijacked at the same time and bank accounts emptied when the hacker went and bid on stuff and then paid. I stopped using paypal after reading all those stories and don't use ebay as much either. I highly recommend to make sure you have a different password for ebay and paypal. My Hotmail and Ebay accounts had the same PW and were both hijacked but my PP account was a different PW and I was able to keep control of it. I immeadiately deleted all CC and Bank accounts linked to Paypal and closed out my account.

"Now I can no longer use Paypal and it's a pain when sellers only accept Paypal"

I hear you on that but there are so many books out there I want they I'm sure I can find something else to [!@#%^&^] my money away on. I was interested in one book and asked the seller 2 times if he accepted payment besides PP with no answer. I was willing to bid 2 times the amount the book sold for. So guess what I emailed the buyer who unbeknownst to me turned out to be RipVanSleep and offered him what I was originally willing to bid. Other than having to wait a few days for an MO I don't see why some sellers only will PP since it limits who may bid.

As eventually one day I will sell some of my comics on "Ebay" would a safer bet for payment through money order and to wait for it to clear be safer option or does it mean a new system of payment has to happen before everyone feel more secure to fork out the money?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.... 893whatthe.gif

You can never go wrong with money orders. I know western union offers a similar service to paypal but I never tried it. I used to use billpoint occasionally but I didn't like it as nice as paypal since you couldn't store money in your account. I think that is one of the nice advantages of paypal.

Today I just got confirmation that PayPal put $179.38 back into my account. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I can't believe my luck! shocked.gif

I think 3 things saved my backside on this one:

1. The buyer had a PayPal confirmed address, and

2. I used Delivery Confirmation, and

3. I was under the $500 limit PayPal sets.

Thank you PayPal. cool.gif