• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS or not?

51 posts in this topic

Here's a thought on signature placement. If you're getting the book for you and don't have any plans on reselling, have the artist or writer sign where ever you like. If you're not sure its a keeper but still want the sig, have it signed inside. That way, if you sell it down the road, it should appeal to both camps on the SS front. The ones who declare defacement may settle for a book with an interior sig if they really need it. If you want an SS book as an investment, its probably not a great idea in my opinion unless its a highly sought after signature. Also, (and once again, my opinion) its nice to have someone who worked directly on the book. I know Stan can sign whatever he wants, but its real sweet to have him on an SA book in which he wrote the story.

Interior Signatures! (thumbs u

I don't mean to incite a war here....but some of the people who don't like Signatures say that a signature defaces a high grade book. WHY?? I disagree. I think Signatures enhance the value of all books and enhance high grade books MORE than low grade books. Consider this:

If you were guaranteed the same grade (somehow) ...would you still refuse to SS a CGC 9.2 AF15/Invincible#1/etc?

...I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Even without a guarantee, I would still risk the grade for an SS opportunity. The connection to the person who created the book is just as important as the book, in my opinion.

-Issa

If you were guaranteed the same grade (somehow) ...would you still refuse to SS a CGC 9.2 AF15

yes

Even a Hulk #1 sir? :)

I do recall a Hulk 181, CGC 9.6 selling for $13,000 last year for have 3 signatures on it (Romita, Stan, Trimpe)

If you were guaranteed the same grade (somehow) ...would you still refuse to SS a CGC 9.2 AF15

yes

I do recall a Hulk 181, CGC 9.6 selling for $13,000 last year for have 3 signatures on it (Romita, Stan, Trimpe)

This may be of interest. SS Poll

yes

This may be of interest. SS Poll

...It only has a total of 10 votes. :(

yes

Although I do enjoy SS books,

On mid to lower grade copies I could care less, on high grade copies I would prefer to have it on the inside.

Does it make it have more value because its a SS? to some it does but for me it does not. When a HG book has been kept pristine for so many years, its only right to keep it that way rather than to deface it by marking the cover.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

yes

especially a hulk 1 :sumo:

I got Matt Wagner to sign my set of Grendel 1-3 and Primer 2 at HeroesCon last year... I didn't have enough money to get them all SS tho, so I didn't. (the 1, 3, and Primer are VF- or so... the 2 much worse)

I had him sign them all "to jim" on the cover, and I love it. :)

I don't remember if it was the #1 or the Primer... but one of them he signed inside instead of on the cover. I MUCH prefer to have a sig on the outside so that it can actually be seen!