• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ROY'S slightly darker,slightly angrier brother in the group "Metallica" ??

96 posts in this topic

love the new metallica album.

I heard it was pretty good, I was thinking of snaggin' it.

It's not horrible, but it's no "Kill 'em All" like I was hoping :(

Master of Puppets has always been my fav.

:headbang:

My favite is The Black Album.

That album was the definitive end to good metallica. Spend more time listening to early stuff.

I forgive you for you are young..

i like metallica and i agree that they aren't like they used to.

Slayer is still better and IMO will always be.

Slayer was and will always be better. Slayer does not have a worst album as of yet. Since 1982 they have been ridiculously heavy, and have not lost touch with their roots.

That album was the definitive end to good metallica. Spend more time listening to early stuff.

GEEZ ! ...One of my dumb threads is still alive ? ............................ meh

Pantera can kick in in a big way, well, they used to that is.

Vulgar Display of Power could never have been topped. That album was great from the first to last track. Even though I can no longer bare to hear "Walk" as it was played far beyond death.

And Roy. My first 6 string was identical to what you are playing in the picture. I later bought a BC Rich Bich when they re-released it, and currently play a 1980's Jackson/Charvel with Seymour Duncan pick ups. Really considering switching that guitar to active pick ups, and putting the duncans in the Bich.

GEEZ ! ...One of my dumb threads is still alive ? ............................ meh

I happen to enjoy your dumb threads. But dont post alot on them.

i like metallica and i agree that they aren't like they used to.

Slayer is still better and IMO will always be.

Slayer was and will always be better. Slayer does not have a worst album as of yet. Since 1982 they have been ridiculously heavy, and have not lost touch with their roots.

I've always wanted to ask, but never did.

A back ground to me. I'm not a stranger to hard rock or *more mainstream* heavy metal. I love stong guitar, drums and strong vocals. I've beena Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc etc fans since I was in my early teens. Having said that:

What is so good about anything heavier than the bands I've mentioned? You lose the melody, you lose the rythmn, you lose the music. To me it's just a lot of noise...and you have to understand I am pretty open minded when it comes to music.

To me? I just don't see the appeal of Motorhead, Slayer etc etc. I've listened to them all.

To me there need to be melody first, then brains, rythmn, etc all in equal parts. Without melody I find it hard to describe as music.

So I mean this as an honest question...what is the appeal?

R.

I'm not a big fan of the type of music that is just monotonous angry mob inciting playing. Music is something different to fans of that kind of music than lyric and melody. I'm more of a Cars fan, especially the first album.

Still waiting for you to post a link to mp3s of you playing the guitar. :whistle:

Hmm.. well for ME. (This is my opinion)

1. the energy. A slayer live show in a medium sized club can not be rivaled. It is just intense.

2. Lyrics. Read the lyrics from the reign in blood album. The stuff they tackle is quite disturbing. The song "Angel of Death" is about Joseph Mengela, and Auswitz. (I know I probably spelled that wrong)

3. Slayer has some of the greatest metl riffs I have ever heard. It is a total spit in the face if you have ever learned methods of guitar playing. Lessons cant teach the style.

4. The drummer of slayer is infinitely talented. The guy makes anything Metallica ever played look like fat kids running laps in gym class.

5. BREAKDOWNS !!!! Its more associated with the Hardcore scene, but hardcore kids love slayer. Slamdancings is for , dancing at a hardcore show (not old skool) is surprisingly difficult. Something special about throwing the "philly roll" during a slayer breakdown.

"Philly Roll" Looks like you are hopping on one foot to one side while running your fists in a horizontal spin, throw some giant windmills, keep the heavy momentum from windmill and let loose about 10 roundhouse kicks. Sounds really weird , kinda fun to watch people block hands and fists attacking them.

I think if you you tube Pray For Death. You can catch a live show or two of us. You can generally tell when a breakdown starts.

If it doesnt work I apologise. I was told last week that the videos are still up.

I've actually never recorded any of my playing.

I stopped playing for almost 15 years (make that 20 years) and Lou has just gotten me all fired up about it. Maybe when I finish a couple of songs that I'm writing I'll have her record me playing them.

:eek: