• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seattle Show Report; What It's Like to Be a Heinlein Character for the Weekend

50 posts in this topic

And as for the feds, the State Trooper ran my license when he stopped to assist me, so it would appear that my status on the watchlist has been downgraded... either that or they couldn't get enough backup to the location in time so they chose to let me go rather than risk an incident... sumo.gif

Don't fool yourself, 'House. It is obvious they ley go of the small fish so they can complete the sting and nail your co-conspirators. the Oregon Comic Mafia is going down...you'll be grabbing ankles by Thursday insane.gif

And as for the feds, the State Trooper ran my license when he stopped to assist me, so it would appear that my status on the watchlist has been downgraded... either that or they couldn't get enough backup to the location in time so they chose to let me go rather than risk an incident... sumo.gif

Don't fool yourself, 'House. It is obvious they ley go of the small fish so they can complete the sting and nail your co-conspirators. the Oregon Comic Mafia is going down...you'll be grabbing ankles by Thursday insane.gif

flowerred.gif

I do that every Thursday anyway... Be nice to get free room and board out of the deal... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsumo.gif

I'm out of touch when it comes to variants, about how much would this puppy fetch? confused.gif

I'd like to know, too. I'm out of touch with variants and with Marvels. Is this an important book or something? Or is it just the variant aspect?

I'm out of touch when it comes to variants, about how much would this puppy fetch? confused.gif

I'd like to know, too. I'm out of touch with variants and with Marvels. Is this an important book or something? Or is it just the variant aspect?

My guess is that it is significant ONLY because of the 30 cent price on it's cover.

1) It was Flying Donut's last book to find, which he had to buy, in order to complete his (the first known) 30 cent Marvel price collection.

2) Silverandbronze ranks it a "5" on his Price variant info website - on a scale of 1 to 5, most common to hardest to find.

3) The Marvel price variants that any serious collector going for the set SHOULD secure or know they will trade for the horrors, reprints and westerns.

4) in this decent shape, you will rarely find one in better because of the fact that it, as lighthouse found it, lays smushed and mistreated in some unsuspecting uncaring sellers longbox of quarter bin abused crud...

Well the planets align and the Buxom Assistant directs me to a gap...

I was waiting for this thread to go X-rated... thumbsup2.gif

Come on, Darth ... haven't you figured out Lighthouse's code for these boards yet? From part 2:

Thirty miles from Portland I decided to stop at the next rest area for a 15-20 minute nap, which usually does wonders. It was pouring down rain on the roof and I was asleep in less than a minute. I woke up 20 minutes later much more refreshed and rolled out for Portland....

I'll let you handle the appropriate substitution .... insane.gif

Wow. Amazing. I'm sitting at home playing with kids on a cozy Sunday afternoon wondering if you have had any luck finding Lulus at that show when the phone rings right then and its you and you tell me you found a #1! I really wish I had the extra cash for that book, but wanting to stay married and all I had to pass. I don't blame the dealer in pricing if over guide. She'll get that eventually I am sure. Thanks for looking for me though, and with all there rest that happened that weekend I am amazed you remember my want list.

I hope you've taken a few days off, you've earned it!

Bob

Come on, Darth ... haven't you figured out Lighthouse's code for these boards yet? From part 2:

Thirty miles from Portland I decided to stop at the next rest area for a 15-20 minute nap, which usually does wonders. It was pouring down rain on the roof and I was asleep in less than a minute. I woke up 20 minutes later much more refreshed and rolled out for Portland....

Not that I speak from personal experience, but that kind of nap wouldn't have had me back on the road in twenty minutes. From what I hear, the Buxom Assistant could give Graveyard Gloria a run for her money... blush.gifblush.gifcool.gif

Not that I speak from personal experience, but that kind of nap wouldn't have had me back on the road in twenty minutes. From what I hear, the Buxom Assistant could give Graveyard Gloria a run for her money... blush.gifblush.gifcool.gif

and once again, we come back to the issue of pictures, man, pictures...

Thanks for looking for me though, and with all there rest that happened that weekend I am amazed you remember my want list.

I hope you've taken a few days off, you've earned it!

Bob

Three things helped your cause. The dealer with the Lulus was less than 30 feet from me. The show was slow enough that I could afford to wander around for half of it. And I had your phone number with me.

I see a ton of books at these shows that fit people's needs, usually cheap because most of the dealers are starving. But without the ability to make a quick call to confirm, I usually won't pull the trigger... confused-smiley-013.gif

I did get about 14 hours sleep yesterday, but after this weekend, being at my store feels like a day off. smile.gif

I see a ton of books at these shows that fit people's needs, usually cheap because most of the dealers are starving. But without the ability to make a quick call to confirm, I usually won't pull the trigger...

AND I know I will be kicking myself in 5 years when I look back at the chance I had pick that book up for only $500.... 893frustrated.gif

I see a ton of books at these shows that fit people's needs, usually cheap because most of the dealers are starving. But without the ability to make a quick call to confirm, I usually won't pull the trigger...

AND I know I will be kicking myself in 5 years when I look back at the chance I had pick that book up for only $500.... 893frustrated.gif

When I am buying hard-to-find stuff for myself, stuff you usually see over guide, instead of asking myself whether the price is over guide I ask myself what guide will be the next time I find a reasonably priced copy.

I have passed on books that were marked at $100 when guide was $80, that I turned around at bought at guide two years later when guide was $150...

Books you see everyday it pays to be patient. But who really expects to wait long enough to pay guide for an Action 1?

I think her price on the Lulu 1 was still a little too high. But she sold all the Four Colors she had the previous week and they were priced much the same way... confused-smiley-013.gif

When I am buying hard-to-find stuff for myself, stuff you usually see over guide, instead of asking myself whether the price is over guide I ask myself what guide will be the next time I find a reasonably priced copy.

I have passed on books that were marked at $100 when guide was $80, that I turned around at bought at guide two years later when guide was $150...

Books you see everyday it pays to be patient. But who really expects to wait long enough to pay guide for an Action 1?

I think her price on the Lulu 1 was still a little too high. But she sold all the Four Colors she had the previous week and they were priced much the same way...

I've actually seen Lulu #1 at the last two cons I've been to. Graham Crackers had a #1 in about VG for 300, and Metropolis has a F/VF for 400. I've been tempted, but have passed, having the same arguement with myself. Problem is I really blow my comics budget if I blow that much in one shot. I know it is better to get one really good book then a bunch of lesser ones but...

I am still kicking myself when I let Four Color #74 in VG/FN go in a recent Hertiage auction. Final winning bid? $138!

If I was down to 3 or 4 books on the want list I would most likely be willing to go 120% of guide, but at this point I don't think I am being hurt too much by passing on some of these (does it sound like I am trying to convince myself that is true ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)