• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on the new notes policy?

33 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Yes, I do recognize the irony (or apparent contradiction) of locking the thread.

So much of the previous discussion was irrelevant because of misinformation that it seemed preferable for new threads to start. And when we're not busy locking threads, we do read them. :)

Well, everything sure got quiet.

I'm having Mexican Spicey chicken with roast potatoes, rice (served messy/saucy) and a side of grilled veggies.

:cloud9:

The fact that the threads were locked is amazing. They say give use your feedback. Then go and lock both threads. With all due respect. This is just what I posted before. The CGC is trying to force feed there decisions to there customers. How can feedback be given if the threads on the subject are locked? Start another thread like this one I suppose... What bugs me the most is the lack of notes on the not so costly books. Collectors have got to start somewhere do they not? Not everyone can go out and buy a 7.0 AF 15 type of book. I can understand The CGC wanting to speed up there turn around times. That is obviously a good thing. But omitting notes based on the books value is just not right IMHO. It could be argued that since less work/time is being done on these books. The fee to grade them should be less. It comes across like The CGC is not looking at these books in the same manner as the bigger value books. Be that right or wrong. That is what some people will feel like is happening. I refer to my Coca-Cola post. The new formula is it. No more original Coke. We The Coca-Cola people have spoken... Take it or leave it... Problem was the people left it.... The same thing will happen here IMHO.. The CGC is a well respected company in this field. There reputation will suffer because of decisions like this. Not every decision involving the operations of any company should be made public. But when the change is seen as a rather big change in the way customers perceive a company. It should be studied. Or released to the consumers. Let the consumers have some say. It's better than just one day changing the Coca-Cola formula{example}. We saw how that worked out for them. An informed consumer is a happy consumer{usually}. Take the consumer out of the equation and it gets people upset. So much so they may indeed find other companies for there needs. No company can be seen as good as The CGC in this field. That does not mean people wont go elsewhere. Or have another company come along to fill that void. Just my 2 cents......

Dude, first of all it's "their" not "there".

:baiting:

2nd, they locked the threads because they were filled with bad info and asumption. Not much positive.

3rd, they are allowing us to discuss it now that we have all the info. They even posted in the thread.

4th the "enter" key is still a valid option on most key boards.

:jokealert:

They do charge less to grade the "less valuable books" so again, you get what you pay for.

R.

Where are people going to go as off today? (shrug)

An informed consumer is a happy consumer. I agree.

A consumer that can make 2x, 3x, 10x the money using a company is an estatic consumer.

You Coke theory does not make any sense as there are a bunch of soft drink companies out there today.

lol Hiyo!

Whoa! Lots of reading from that annoucement! Thought it was interesting that the thread was then locked from comments.

I think the whole process of the tier value system is completely cumbersome and confusing. The fact that we have to first evaluate our books before submission, to figure out the exact worth of the book for insurance purposes, seems completely backwards to me seeing how we submit our books for grading purposes (besides perservation) of determinating the value/condition of our books thats being submitted. Why not a flate rate per book submission on all books (no matter the value) and insurance rates based on amount of books submitted, but also have a express rate also?

I for one am not new to the hobby of comic collecting, but morely new to the submission genre with companies like PGX, CGC, and etc. After first looking into CGC after noticing my local comic book store having a comic book slabbed up with a grade marking with brief description of the condition, title, writer, and artist... I became curious/impress. Even after exploring the companies site and looking at a vary of comic book convention websites with pictures showing off their books slabbed up in the aforemention way... I became even more curious/impressed.

After further spectulation and testimonies from my local comic book shop I found CGC to be... trustworthy, but I find the fact that providing/creating grader notes are consider, "too time consuming", to be a huge cop-out of responsiblilies you swore to take up when deciding to provide this type of service... i.e. start this type of company.

CGC doing grader's notes (may not been the intial provide service upon creation) is the same as a teacher grading and looking over a assignment submitted by one or many of their students. If you dont have the man-power to handle the many submissions during "peak seasons" of submissions then hired temporary seasonal workers (Do not forget to make sure they are not "illegals"). Justified the recent price hike or already present price per book submission.

Hiring temporary seasonal workers (or more of) seems like the best way to answer the problems raised by many regular submission customers (and the ocassional) whether on the subject of providing a better turnaround and providing/creating grader notes for all book submissions.

I am pretty sure that the Apple company and/or Microsoft wouldnt mind aiding you in discounts to help provide a way in archiving... grader notes. Hey! There is also always a nice government visa program for some cheap foreign labourers?

:jokealert:

After reading the release...I think their change is excellent from a business standpoint.All they are doing is streamlining graders notes in the categories that are rarely if ever requested anyway.If this will speed submission time and keep costs down (shrug) .They will still provide full notes on the money books.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My post was not about Coca-Cola per say. But the fact that they just tried to force feed there new business ideals on there consumers. There are two more different grading companies out there. Ace, PGX. While I know they are not seen as a real option. They are available to use. Sort of like RC Cola.. It isn't Coke. But it is there for the consumer to buy if they want to. PGX is the other quasi main competitor for The CGC. I wonder what would happen if they hired Matt Nelson and a few others he selected to do the restoration checks? No one could say they were lacking in that particular dept. any more. I would imagine there submissions would increase quite a bit. The public has never liked being told what to do. Another example would be the American $2 bill. They just tried to tell the public that was it, use it, we have spoken.. Again, we know how that turned out... Sometimes the public is wrong in not using whatever it is that is being offered. But it is there decision in the end. I highly doubt the notes not being taken will speed up the return times on the book's. Time will tell, It always does....