• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centerfold loose grade???
1 1

23 posts in this topic

That might sum it up. In the end you can decide what you feel the book is worth based in the description, not the CGC or overstreet grade.

(thumbs u

On 9/21/2008 at 9:34 AM, Kenwho said:

I've seen some people grading books with centerfolds detached at one staple with different grades, 5.5, 6.5, even 7.0. Now not being the longtime grader most of you guys are I have been trying to follow Overstreet guidlines and they list a book with a detached at one staple as a 4.5 at best.

Am I missing something?? If the book is a higher grade, say a 8.5 otherwise, but the centerfold is detached does the grade get lowered by a certain amount just because of that or does it drop right down to 4.5??

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I know this is an old topic but it still comes up and I do have official word from CGC about this. Basically, comparing slabs that have the notion of "detached centrefold" to determine how many points are deducted is a fool's errand.

A detached centrefold can reffer to a book that was made that way (so not due to wear and tear) AND it can reffer to a book which had a centrefold initially attached and has since been detached. Plus you have the notion of detachment at one or two staples for either scenarios and that gives you 4 subsets of possible grades further depending on other defects found on the book. Plus there is the idea that if that's the only issue with the book, you might get a green slab instead, which itself has it's own subset of grades. So basically, the range can be very big and none of it really contraditcs the overstreet guide (which also has various grades but helps to distinguish the grading by using words like "loose" or "detached", which CGC does not).