• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #99 sells for $7000

88 posts in this topic

Wrong again, as usual.

Yeah, "as usual" says greggy's personal lap-dog. lollol

People start hundred page threads and troll me for years when I'm wrong, so it's hardly an every-day occurrence.

09-18-2008125836PM.jpg

Was that guy was born with a giant pair of nads on his head or what?

(shrug)

Nice price on the 9.8 Spidey.

:cloud9:

Wrong again, as usual.

Yeah, "as usual" says greggy's personal lap-dog. lollol

People start hundred page threads and troll me for years when I'm wrong, so it's hardly an every-day occurrence.

I wouldn't say lap-dog, per se. More like friend, but I can see where you would be in error as a result of never actually having experienced either. hm

In an effort to stay OT, that amount really means nothing if you have the cash to drop. Aside from the sideshow effect, who really cares?

In an effort to stay OT, that amount really means nothing if you have the cash to drop. Aside from the sideshow effect, who really cares?

Well, probably somebody who's in the market for a high grade #99? (shrug)

I agree that Tom doesn't give a flying one what he pays...and that's his perogative. However, this sale hasn't happened in a vacuum and it will have the effect of pushing prices up on any future 9.8s, and most probably 9.6s, beyond what is actually reasonable.

At the least, the price will be quoted and quoted again in an effort to push prices further and further up through the stratosphere. :(

I agree that Tom doesn't give a flying one what he pays...and that's his perogative. However, this sale hasn't happened in a vacuum and it will have the effect of pushing prices up on any future 9.8s, and most probably 9.6s, beyond what is actually reasonable.

At the least, the price will be quoted and quoted again in an effort to push prices further and further up through the stratosphere. :(

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing. If someone wants to buy a book for $7k, I don't really see it as a problem at all.

I'm sure people from 30 years ago would be horrified at the prices we pay today.

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing. If someone wants to buy a book for $7k, I don't really see it as a problem at all.

I'm sure people from 30 years ago would be horrified at the prices we pay today.

Hey Brian! :hi:

I've got no problem with market forces driving books up in price. However, it seems that TB is the only market force on this book and I agree with an earlier poster...this price was set for Mr Brulato and Mr Brulato alone.

Which is great if both parties come away happy.

Which is not great if the sale is then used to benchmark future prices when the one person willing and able to pay that 'going rate' is satiated.

B

Hey Brian! :hi:

I've got no problem with market forces driving books up in price. However, it seems that TB is the only market force on this book and I agree with an earlier poster...this price was set for Mr Brulato and Mr Brulato alone.

Which is great if both parties come away happy.

Which is not great if the sale is then used to benchmark future prices when the one person willing and able to pay that 'going rate' is satiated.

But I think that the market itself will take care of that. See the Iron Man 128 9.8 example. While there are only three, it's already corrected by the second one selling for only half of what the first one did. When the first one sold for $2k was that absurd? Probably, but why worry about it? The market will dictate and correct it. If another ASM 9.8 pops up, what happens? Well, since Brulato will presumably be out of the running, someone can ask $7k, but will they get it? That remains to be seen. As with the IM 128, I think there's a good chance it will not be sustainable.

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing.

But one seller artificially bumping up prices to sell on consignment to one buyer does NOT a market make.

If that book had been pushed to $7K in open auction, it would be a different story.

I disagree that it will drive other 9.8s up, Nick.

As you stated the person most likely to pay an amount like like that already has one. It will possibly drive the price up on the 9.6s, but if another 9.8 shows up then I am betting that it will drop the price.

That's what happened to the lone X-Men 94 in a 9.8. Once a couple more showed up, that astronomical selling price dropped like a stone.

Besides, would rather the transaction took place over dinner and a handshake without making it to the market? You were one of the ones who thought that forum sales should be reported to GPA, why should this one be different? I am not picking at you. It's a legitimate question.

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing.

But one seller artificially bumping up prices to sell on consignment to one buyer does NOT a market make.

If that book had been pushed to $7K in open auction, it would be a different story.

I'm not debating that one sale certainly doesn't create a market for the book (either positively or negatively). I'm simply arguing that you can't call the price or the sale "unreasonable" per se. I think reasonable is relative to the person buying the book. What is reasonable to you or I is not necessarily the same for someone in Brulato's collecting realm. I wonder what Ghost Town or Schmell would think of this record price?

Besides, would rather the transaction took place over dinner and a handshake without making it to the market? You were one of the ones who thought that forum sales should be reported to GPA, why should this one be different? I am not picking at you. It's a legitimate question.

Oh, I'm not saying it should be 'kept quiet', I'm simply suggesting that it's not great for the market.

Actually, given the fair and reasonable trading that (generally) occurs in the Marketplace, reporting sales from there would have the effect of 'watering down' some of the more ridiculous transactions. (thumbs u

Those high prices get watered down anyway. Someone lists a BIN on eBay and doesn't know what they have or something gets miss listed. It happens.

I do believe that when another one surfaces we will definitely see a price correction. When a book sells that high, additional copies begin to come out of the woodwork.

Plus, I am sure that Stephen will squeeze every bit of marketing mileage out of that deal he can and I don't blame him.

Houston Alexander :roflmao:

As high as this price sounds 50 times guide is a general rule of thumb for 9.8 highest graded bronze books that are either key or tough to find. I've sold books at 50 times guide with no problems. I think that is just a rough multiplier that many people use.