• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The $1 million AF #15 and the most Valuable Comic in the world

Most Valuable Comic  

537 members have voted

1. 1. Most Valuable Comic

222 posts in this topic

I would take an FF #1 in equal grade over an AF #15 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. No problem.

FF#1 is certainly a more historical book in my opinion as well. (and I'm a huge Spider-man fan)

It is by far my favorite Marvel. I love Spidey but I was not a big fan of Ditko. The impression left by pretty much every panel of FF #1 is scorched into my mind's eye. I love that book. AF #15 is probably in the top 5 for me...maybe even top 3, but definitely not #1.

Glad someone agrees.

R.

I agree with rob's link.

I would take an FF #1 in equal grade over an AF #15 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. No problem.

FF#1 is certainly a more historical book in my opinion as well. (and I'm a huge Spider-man fan)

More historic to a comic collector in a technical sense, but more limited recognition outside of that club. Most people I know (in the UK mind you) had never heard of the Fantastic Four before the film came out. Most of them still haven't. I'm talking about non-comic readers of course (which is everyone I know).

Spider-Man is as well known as Santa Claus and Jesus put together :grin:

This raises another interesting point. Who drives the value of comics?

While I agree that AF#15 is super-significant (I really want one), and I also agree that it features the important first appearance of a major character - where does it "fit" into the history of comics themselves? It fits very much into the history of Spider-man, but what about a more historical level? - comics themselves.

This is one reason I think Action #1 is such an important book. Same with Detective #27 (which I actually think is significant beyond just the Batman! - it's the "type" of character that Batman represented and continues to represent). These books defined "comics" and not just "characters".

While more people may recognize Spider-man - how many of them are in the "game" of collecting? How many are likely to become interested?

If I was thinking about selling to that crowd and their feelings of nostalgia in the future, I'd be looking at buying movie props and posters.

Some of the books that I want the very most are probably not considered "cool" by those outside of this hobby. Books that feature the first Super-hero team, books that feature the first female heroine (and it's not whom you think, and I'm not telling you who it is until I get a copy,and it's not even from the country where you think it is!)

Of course, I'm not an investor, seller, dealer, etc. I collect and that's it. Let my kids figure out whether I made the right "financial" decisions later. All my decisions come from other motivations when it comes to comics.

You can't be serious...I'm going to be rich! Please send me all the AF #15's you can buy and I will send you an FF#1 in equal grade book for book! I should make around $10K on each CGC 6.0! Even in Good I will come out ahead $500-$1000 a book! When can we start trading?

:takeit:

:applause:

You can't be serious...I'm going to be rich! Please send me all the AF #15's you can buy and I will send you an FF#1 in equal grade book for book! I should make around $10K on each CGC 6.0! Even in Good I will come out ahead $500-$1000 a book! When can we start trading?

You....you....grrrrr...

So it's all about the MONEY to you, isn't it?

:)

:)

Comments like this make me hope the book falls below OSPG again.

Speculators....

:jokealert:

I knew I would strike a cord with that one! Money is nice, but I have a heart too. Actually I would take a TEC 27 over and Action #1 any day (but would it not be smarter to take the Action #1, sell it, and buy the TEC #27 and pocket the difference?). What's wrong with being an honest businessman? I love comics, so why not make a living buying and selling them? I still have to eat though.

:jokealert:

I knew I would strike a cord with that one! Money is nice, but I have a heart too. Actually I would take a TEC 27 over and Action #1 any day (but would it not be smarter to take the Action #1, sell it, and buy the TEC #27 and pocket the difference?). What's wrong with being an honest businessman? I love comics, so why not make a living buying and selling them? I still have to eat though.

Opps. I knew it was a joke. That's why I put all the smiley faces down.

:) :) :) :)

Interesting. The Mile High Action #1 is generally considered to be the best copy, but has never been CGC graded. And as an offer for it has alreasy hit $2 million, I think it stands as the highest benchmark book. Why not CGC it? Is there a problem?

He likes to read it while eating popcorn and watching a good movie :)

Interesting. The Mile High Action #1 is generally considered to be the best copy, but has never been CGC graded. And as an offer for it has alreasy hit $2 million, I think it stands as the highest benchmark book. Why not CGC it? Is there a problem?

I didn't see this part earlier.

It's not graded because it's not for sale and therefore there's no reason to have a third party look at it. Dave knows what a high grade book looks like, and all the best copies have flowed through his hands, he doesn't need Mark to tell him he's got the best copy of Action #1*

*I was about to type "Steve to tell him ..."

I wonder if a CGC 9.4 was discovered and then MH Ac #1 graded a 9.2 (hypothetically), would it still be the most desireable copy because of the Pedigree it came from? As we know Church books usually draw greater multiples than any other pedigree out here because of their history, lineage, hype, freshness etc.

Does buy the book and not the label work in this scenario?

R.

I'm very serious. If it was for my personal collection I wouldn't be buying a book simply because it's worth more. What's wrong with that? If I had an expendable $200,000 for an early SA Marvel I'd likely buy an FF #1, hands down. It's where my heart is for SA Marvels and has been for almost 30 years.

R.

I think that scenario would play out in favor of an OW or better 9.4. I think it would be closer than the normal multiples (say... the MH would be worth .75 of the 9.4 instead of .50), but I think that extra .2 and the ability to say "best" would cause a frenzy.

I'm very serious. If it was for my personal collection I wouldn't be buying a book simply because it's worth more. What's wrong with that? If I had an expendable $200,000 for an early SA Marvel I'd likely buy an FF #1, hands down. It's where my heart is for SA Marvels and has been for almost 30 years.

R.

I'm with you. Screw AF15, FF#1 is one of the few Silver Marvel that still matters to me :cloud9:

Monetary value aside, I'd rather have a complete but low grade Action 1 than a high grade AF 15. Just because of the historical significance. But I seem to be one of the few who still digs Superman (even if I don't collect him).

R.

I didn't realize that , Roy. Here I figured it would be JIM 83. That FF 1 is such a bizarre book....no uniforms or secret identities, and the way Kirby did the Thing for those first 2 issues :cloud9: ....I'd love to have a raw 5.0 with supple white pages and full gloss and color....most of the defects on the back. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. No offense to Spidey....but AF 15 is weak to me...from a critical standpoint , probably because Ditko was still warming up to the superhero genre.From a pure collectors standpoint, I believe I'd also rather have a Cap # 1, phat and full of Kirby.

R.

I didn't realize that , Roy. Here I figured it would be JIM 83. That FF 1 is such a bizarre book....no uniforms or secret identities, and the way Kirby did the Thing for those first 2 issues :cloud9: ....I'd love to have a raw 5.0 with supple white pages and full gloss and color....most of the defects on the back. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. No offense to Spidey....but AF 15 is weak to me...from a critical standpoint , probably because Ditko was still warming up to the superhero genre.From a pure collectors standpoint, I believe I'd also rather have a Cap # 1, phat and full of Kirby.

Action 1

Tec' 27

Cap 1

FF 1

AA 16

Flash 1

I would prefer any of these books to a copy of AF 15. Mind you AF 15 is on the list. But it isnt very important to my collection.

Monetary value aside, I'd rather have a complete but low grade Action 1 than a high grade AF 15. Just because of the historical significance. But I seem to be one of the few who still digs Superman (even if I don't collect him).

hey, there are still a few of us around that love the big "S", :grin:

my list, not that I'll ever have any of 'em, would be.

Action #1

Tec #27

Supes #1 (unrestored of course)

Bats #1 (unrestored as well)

AF15 in at least 8.0 or higher

Showcase #4 in 8.0 or higher

any Tom Reilly copy of any early DC, Supes/Bats/WW/Tecs, etc.