• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Wrong?

30 posts in this topic

If it got to issue 100, it would be an 8 year run. Ultimate Spider-man has run about that long. A Stan Lee signed 9.8 of the white variant of number one ultimate spider-man goes for big money, somewhere around $1200 I think. One thing might not have anything to do with another, but to me these Hulk covers are more fun and interesting than the Ultimate Spider-man series, just my opinion. Unfortunately, we've lost Michael Turner, so he won't be able to do a variant for number one on the next Hulk series. He was a great talent and will be missed. The number 2 sketch cover is less than 3000 distribution (so I've heard). The Finch variant on #3 is just really cool. The red Hulk storyline is so much fun, I wouldn't be surprised if the character ended up in a future Marvel film, and what would that do to the value? I've also heard from the dealers I buy from that the series is selling extremely well, a good sign for staying power.

I get the fact that what I'm asking for the set is a lot of money and it probably won't sell. If that is so, then I'll have to break it apart to sell it if I want to sell it any time soon. There's really no need to suggest that it is valueless or will be in the future because frankly, I find that unnecessary and insulting.

i think the books could go for 800 dollars tops.

u need more sigs than just stan lee if you want them to go way up there.

maybe the average buyer sees that set and thinks wow....that is a cool grouping of hulk books.....signed by stan lee......maybe I could get that done.

but I know if a customer saw that book with like 3 sigs plus Stan's sig....and all diferent dates and signing times.....they would be like wow.....a ton of work went into that....I could never go to all those places to get those sigs....it would take forever....its such a unique book......I better buy it.

I sell a lot of stan lee moderns as well....(as you may know ;) I find the average price of my sales range from 100-200 in 9.8 form. If you have a 9.6 modern.....good luck makin your money back on a stan book.

oh also....dont sell as a set. and good luck!

-Sean

If it got to issue 100, it would be an 8 year run. Ultimate Spider-man has run about that long. A Stan Lee signed 9.8 of the white variant of number one ultimate spider-man goes for big money, somewhere around $1200 I think. One thing might not have anything to do with another, but to me these Hulk covers are more fun and interesting than the Ultimate Spider-man series, just my opinion. Unfortunately, we've lost Michael Turner, so he won't be able to do a variant for number one on the next Hulk series. He was a great talent and will be missed. The number 2 sketch cover is less than 3000 distribution (so I've heard). The Finch variant on #3 is just really cool. The red Hulk storyline is so much fun, I wouldn't be surprised if the character ended up in a future Marvel film, and what would that do to the value? I've also heard from the dealers I buy from that the series is selling extremely well, a good sign for staying power.

I get the fact that what I'm asking for the set is a lot of money and it probably won't sell. If that is so, then I'll have to break it apart to sell it if I want to sell it any time soon. There's really no need to suggest that it is valueless or will be in the future because frankly, I find that unnecessary and insulting.

I was being optimistic with the 100-issue run. Chances are, it'll be done before that. So many books don't make it that far, which is unfortunate, because there are a lot of good books, that have a fan base, but they don't sell later on in the run. Or at the very least, the series gets cancelled, and relaunched as another title.

Whether the red Hulk has staying power in the long run, who knows? I have been enjoying Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness' run on the book, and I frankly do enjoy McGuinness' artwork on almost anything.

As for your comparison of the new Hulk #1 SS to Ultimate Spider-Man #1 White variant SS, I think you're putting a lot of thought into it. In a way, it would be like me saying my copy of Astouding Wolf-Man #1 SS (which is one of two SS at 9.8), would bring in the same amount as The Walking Dead #1 SS, because they're both issue ones of Kirkman creator-owned series. Just because they have similarities, doesn't mean they are similar.

If you find my comments insulting, I apologize. Just with today's comic market, it's tough to say what modern book is a good investment, even if it has Stan Lee's signature.

I think the key factor here is that most people realize by now that they can just submit their own books for Stan's signature. Most might be willing to pay a small premium to avoid the hassle/wait...but not many are going to pay a few hundred more to do so.

The higher the premium that sellers charge...the more likely collectors will just submit their own books.

Just my 2c

Yes, those are all good points. Sean I appreciate what you're saying too. I'll keep it in mind if I get any offers. If I don't get any offers, I will either just hold it for the long run or break it up and sell one at time.

Beyonder, I agree with you. But as you know there are costs associated with getting Stan to sign a book, signing fees, witness fees, and slabbing cost, plus all the shipping to all parties. If you do this with a raw comic book, you only have a chance at 9.8, which as Sean pointed out, is necessary to make the expense worth it. If you crack out a previous cgc 9.8, you have to pay the premium of a graded book, then risk the fact that the grade might drop after it is resubmitted. This is a pain for a single comic book, even more so for a string of 5 comic books. We all know this, which is why a 9.8 is sought after and holds value so well.

My original questions really had to do with how I was presenting the sale on ebay and you guys did a good job of flushing out all the issues. Thank you all.

I won't sell them for less than $200 each, so I may be hanging onto them for awhile. That price is more reflective of what it takes to put together a run of books like that. I kinda regret that this thread turned into a referendum on what people think the books are worth, it's not really helpful at this point, since I seem to be out of market according to the opinions expressed here. I'll have to wait for the market to catch up. Might take a while, but I can afford to wait, just have to buy a few less comic books this month.

I won't sell them for less than $200 each, so I may be hanging onto them for awhile. That price is more reflective of what it takes to put together a run of books like that. I kinda regret that this thread turned into a referendum on what people think the books are worth, it's not really helpful at this point, since I seem to be out of market according to the opinions expressed here. I'll have to wait for the market to catch up. Might take a while, but I can afford to wait, just have to buy a few less comic books this month.

No disrespect meant here, but if you're going to wait "for the market to catch up", you might end up waiting for a mighty long time. Your books are very nice, but they're still common moderns with a Stan Lee signature - and books like that just don't soar to the levels you seem to be aiming for.

I sold another copy of the non-variant hulk#1 recently in 9.8 SS Stan Lee for $188 on eBay, and since the other four are variants, I don't think the current pricing is too far off the mark. I'm really beginning to wonder if there is anyone left who doesn't have an opinion on this :tonofbricks: Is there any possibility of considering the thread closed?