• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grading???? Marvel Team-Up #3

31 posts in this topic

Unless there are some significant unseen flaws, CGC would probably give it a 8.5.

I agree...nobody on this Board wants to be seen as a loose grader, so I think most people guess a 1/2 to full grade lower than what they actually think. Remember that other "guess the grade" thread from the past week whereby CGC had given the book a 9.0 and just about everyone but CI guessed lower. So, given that the "consensus" seems to be an 8.0, I think an 8.5 is a pretty good bet.

Also, there is some "anchoring" going on, whereby people use the initial responses as a baseline for their own judgments. If the first few posters had guessed 7.0, you can be sure that the later opinions would have clustered around 7.0 and 7.5 instead of 8.0 and 8.5.

Gene

Yes, unfortunately with these exercises, people have a tendency to undergrade like you mention. However, ultimately, the true test of how tight someone's grading is if you buy raw books from them and have them sell them to you at a price commensurate to the grade given. Let us see how many people will grade low at that time! wink.gif

Yeesh.. what a bunch of hoo-ey.. I can only grade according to the scan supplied and will give an honest assesment based on other books that I have had graded. To group everyone on this board as either a person wanting to make a statement of how good the can grade or someone just following the pack is utter nonsense.

I see it as fellow board members trying to assist on another to the best of there abilities with the limited info supplied.

I see it as fellow board members trying to assist on another to the best of there abilities with the limited info supplied.

Yeah, I think that is definitely true in the majority of cases. I also like to guess sometimes, just because it is fun.

Phil

yes, but I graded it first, so I was looking only at the scan. if you all want to use MY grading as a baseline, send me $25 each and I'll give you "objective 3rd party grades"

except on Cherry Poptart.

Yeesh.. what a bunch of hoo-ey..

One man's fact is another man's hooey. I was actually talking with Steve Borock at the NY show this past weekend and he says he has observed the same phenomenon in his grading experience before CGC. Get a group of graders in a room and a book that starts out an 8.5 ends up a 7.5 by the time it reaches the last grader. Lots of "one-upmanship" going on. That's why he set up the CGC grading system so that each of the graders does not know what grade the other graders gave the book. The graders can see in the computer system the flaws that the others have noticed, but not the numerical grade. Smart guy, that Borock. He obviously has a good grasp of human psychology. So much for your "hooey" thesis...

I guarantee you that NOBODY on this Board wants to be labeled as the guy who overgrades books. And I am certainly not intimating that I am immune to the peer pressure. I have guessed on a few of these "guess the grade" posts and have always leaned towards conservatism. That thread where CI correctly graded the book a 9.0 - that is the grade I gave it too, but I did not post my guess as I did not want to risk gaining a reputation for loose grading in case all the 8.0 guesses happened to be correct.

Gene

I guarantee you that NOBODY on this Board wants to be labeled as the guy who overgrades books.

The phenomenon you state may be real and I will not dispute that, but as far as how grading the scans submitted on this board will label you as a "loose" or fair grader I must take exception. What makes a fair grader is how that person grades the whole book and it's culmination of defects not how one grades a picture of it.

The feel of a book is still a determining factor in the final grade of a book and I have yet to feel any of the books that have been submitted here. tongue.gif