• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes' Tip Top Tarzan Covers

80 posts in this topic

This week, after three years, I finally completed my run of Tip Top Tarzan covers. It was a lot fun and great challenge as some of the early issues are tough to find. I haven't worried about grades so much and the condition of these is all over the place from 2.0 to 8.0. I've always wanted to be able to start one of these threads so here goes.

Published by United Features Syndicate, Tip Top Comics began its run in April 1936 as vehicle for reprinting UFS's most popular newspaper strips like Hal Foster's Tarzan and Al Capp's Lil' Abner. Like King Features Syndicate, who began publishing Ace Comics and King Comics at about the same time, UFS was trying to cash in on the new fad that had seen success for Famous Funnies in the previous year.

Tip Top Comics 3 (July 1936) - Technically Tarzan appeared on the covers of Tip Top 1 and 2 along with the other characters featured in the book (Lil' Abner, Captain and the Kids, etc.), but this is the first "real" Tarzan cover. It's also one of the earliest non-funny covers on a comic book.

TipTop003fcsm.jpg

Tip Top Comics 32 (December 1938) - First in series of several nice covers by Paul F. Berdanier. Apart from his work as a cartoonist for United Features, Berdanier was an accomplished etcher and his affinity for that medium shows in his linework I think. He was also not a complete stranger to ERB, having painted the dustjacket for the first edition of Tanar of Pellucidar in 1930. This issue is also notable for having the first published work of Jack Davis -- a cartoon submitted for Tip Top's monthly cartooning contest.

TipTop032fcsm.jpg

Tip Top Comics 36 (April 1939) - This cover is swipe from a Foster panel. This issue also has the first published work of Harvey Hurtzman in the monthly cartoon contest. Got these next two from skypinkblu -- thanks Sharon!

tiptop36fcsm-1.jpg